01L or wait for 03L?

rpurdy3523

Established Member
Just looking for opinions. I currently own a 99L that has had no problems. I'm looking at a 2001, but keep hearing guys talking about the 03L. Do we even know that there will be a 2003 Lightning? If so, what are the stats on it? I could probably get a pretty good deal on a new 01 if I work 2 local dealers against each other. I also don't want to get carried away with mods on my 99 if I turn around and get a 01L. I'm military and also might get sent to Korea in the next year or so. That would be a vote to wait for the 03L if such a thing is going to exist. What are everyone's thoughts and opinions? Please respond.

Don's Bolt

Blown Stang
Established Member
rpurdy

I might wait and see if they do anything on the 2002 and maybee by then you might hear some news on the 2003.

If your 99 has no problems hold on to it a while. Just my 2 cents.

FlaSVT

Moderator - 2nd Gen Forum
Established Member
Do we know for sure that they are building an L in '02? There is supposed to be a body change in '03 for the F150. At least that's the story going around. If they keep building the L and there is a body change in '03 I'll probably get another one then. That ought to look real nice sitting next to my '00. :)

ib fast

Established Member
Supposedly,svt is for sure making an 02 but bush is talking about a bill that would require all light trucks and suvs to get a minimum mpg.This might hamper the rumored 03L with body style change and 420-450 hp at the crank.

FlaSVT

Established Member
Originally posted by ib fast
Bush is talking about a bill that would require all light trucks and suvs to get a minimum mpg.

That shouldn't be a problem, my '00 already gets a minimum mpg. :)

I'd bet/hope they find a way to keep making performance cars and trucks. They seemed to die off in the late 70's when the "gas crisis" hit, but they've come back pretty strong since then.

BfB

Banned
I don't believe that the bill means ALL have to meet it. I think per CAFE standards and such that the combined fleet would have to meet that average. Anyone else know anything about this?

BfB

FlaSVT

Established Member
Originally posted by BfB
I don't believe that the bill means ALL have to meet it. I think per CAFE standards and such that the combined fleet would have to meet that average. Anyone else know anything about this?

BfB

I don't believe that trucks/suvs are currently included in that average mpg calculation. I know that for a long time trucks didn't have to meet the same crash test standards as cars. I also remember reading that a couple of the manufactures had asked for a little more wiggle room in calculating their fleet averages. Sounds like they might be looking at adding trucks/suvs to the average.

ib fast

Established Member
Even if this bill, which won't happen for a while doesn't stop the 03, the fact that there are no less than 8 01's at local dealers available for 28,900 with no takers does not bode well for the 03. They should have waited till 03 to make 7500 and limited the 01's to 5000.If ford makes an 03 whith a healthy jump in hp and tq,everybody and there brother will want one and i can see dealears getting 40k plus for them.So take your pick,no 03's because of gas prices,lack of interest in 01,02 or new proposed cafe standards for lt trucks and suv's.What it boils down to is big oil will probably decide if there is an 03.

99svtlightning

Established Member
I heard 2004 is the body change and there will be a 2002 Lightning. The guy that told me works for Ford in Detroit, but you never know until it happens.

The 2004's are supposed to have a bigger cab, so it will be heavier. Therefore, Ford will need to add more power to keep the truck at the same standards. He also stated that the current gen.2 Lightnings will most likely be the quickest due to HP/Weight, etc.

rpurdy3523

Established Member
;) Thanks to all that answered. Case closed. I picked up my 2001 Red Lightning today. I think this one will be as good as they get for awhile. If not, I'll make it better:cool:

FlaSVT

Established Member
Originally posted by rpurdy3523
;) Thanks to all that answered. Case closed. I picked up my 2001 Red Lightning today. I think this one will be as good as they get for awhile. If not, I'll make it better:cool:

Congrats on the new ride, :) and have fun making it better. I've done several things to my '00 and it's been worth every dime. These trucks do draw attention and it's fun to see the look on someones face when they get spanked by a truck. :) Enjoy.

JBLsilver01

Established Member
Congradulations! you made a good choice....

The way I see it (this may sound dumb...) is that if they change the body style in 02 or 03, then the 01 is the last of the current body style, not to mention that they worked out most of the bugs that were in previous models...its kind of like the 60's camaros - in my opinion, the 69 is the best looking camaro there is, and they totally messed up the look with the 70's model...so trying to make a comparison between the 2 - you may have bought the last model year of the best looking, de-bugged, fastest production truck in the world...unless they get faster in 02 or '03...:)

J15BIG

Established Member
02L's

A few weeks ago I saw the guy I bougt my truck from and let him take it for a quick ride. He told me that he heard the 02L's are upposed to have around 410HP. As for 03 or 04Ls having extended cab....? I talked with my next door neighbor who knows an svt engineer and said that they did make an ext. cab L in like 99 or 00 but it didnt handle well and the extra weight really slowed it down so they threw that idea out the window. But who knows, they may have found a way to compensate.

In my opinion an extended cab would be nice. But if ford starts making different changes to an almost perfect truck there could be some problems. I did see a 99 ext. cab L wannabe that had all the badges, engine and suspension work but the owner said that it definetly didnt handle as well as a normal lightning. O well, well have to wait and see what they come out with.

Users who are viewing this thread