02 Cobra clone(questions)

ProSport

Established Member
Mods, if I have this in the wrong section please move it, thanks.

I am working a deal on a 2002 Mustang GT that has been converted to a 2003 Cobra clone. I'm a Mopar guy and don't know much about these cars, but from the photo and description it looks like the car still has the 02 GT 4.6 SOHC engine, which would have all cast internals, correct?

It is ad #2326930 on Racingjunk.com.
Here is a link...... 2002 MUSTANG GT COBRA CLONE For Sale

Car has 28,000 miles, looks really nice and seems to have all the right modifications although you guys will be able to determine that better than me.
What do you think this combo will make at the rear wheels? Will the motor live for street abuse, and maybe an occasional hit down the 1/4 mile?

They are willing to trade even for my 64 Dodge, that's the main reason I'm leaning towards this vehicle, only bad thing is I'll have to pay the $1200 taxes on it, the car is in Michigan and I'm in Ohio. My 64 Dodge is ad #2329586.

Do any of you know who owned this car? Did the owner install forged pieces in the motor?

dsmith26

Established Member
I don't know anything about this particular car, but it does have GT heads on it. If it still has the GT rotating assembly, about 400 rwhp is about all you make without bending a rod. It's possible this combo makes that, maybe more depending on pulley/supporting mods.

You can buy a Terminator for that price if you're patient. I've seen Whipple Terminators sell for 20K or less. Spend the extra $40 bucks a month and get the right car.

Good luck!

ProSport

Established Member
I'm having troubles selling the Dodge in this economy, so I was leaning towards this car since they are willing to trade. I like the car, but I don't want a ticking time bomb under the hood and I may want to upgrade power later.

Anyone know the previous owner of this car?

ProSport

Established Member
Im gonna contact the dealer today to see if they can get
More info on the car from the previous owner. It would be nice to
find out he had forged internals installed.
It also has an AC bypass pulley, is that just for performance, or is the AC broke Lol.
I'd like to have the AC.

OU812

Established Member
That car was on here for sale not too long ago, it still has the stock internals if I remember right. It's a nice car but not worth that much at all, the market has tanked for these things. When low mile KB/Whippled cobras are barely bringing $20K you'd be crazy not to go that route instead.

jrp0079

TRD
Established Member
Yea its like a ticking time bomb...got my cobra clone with the kenne bell 2.1 a while back ago and the engine was completely stock. Now its sitting in the garage because the motor threw a rod.

ProSport

Established Member
Ouch, thanks for the info guys, Im gonna pass on this deal, im not gonna give up a perfect 64 for a car with a stock bottom end.

d3m01iti0n

Slow Vehicle Team
Established Member
What a massive waste of time and money. Could have bought a real Cobra and mods for the cost of parts and labor on that fake.

Users who are viewing this thread