03-04 Center Console/Radio Swap

Hodgepodge

Established Member
Just thought I would provide an update to my little project. maybe i should start a new thread.

anyways, as you may have read I am swapping (or attempting to swap) a 2005+ 6 disc CD player into my non-Mach audio car.

Since my car does not have the Mach system, I needed a CD player with only two plugs on the back. Also, I had to purchase 2 wiring harnesses from Metra. The first plugs into the factory wiring harness, and the second plugs into the back of the 05+ Ford CD players. Will post part #s later, still waiting on them in the mail :nonono: Don't want to post bad info in case it doesn't work.

Second thing to buy was a new style (01-04) radio bezel. I scored one local with all switches for $35. Of course, the new style CD player is a bit taller than the older ones. But they do have the same widths, which makes this project doable.

I started sanding on the ABS for about 10-15 mins with 60 grit, and saw little progress.
(Taped cardboard to the sides so I didn't mess it up with the sandpaper, although I will be painting it black to match the rest of the dash.)

DSC01136.gif

Still won't fit
DSC01137.gif

Realizing that I was just wasting my time, I made a quick trip to Ace and picked up a mini Handsaw for 4.99 and bought 2 12" 18T blades for it for 1.50. The blade that the saw comes with doesn't cut the ABS well, but the 18T blades make quick work of it. I made a template out of cardboard and traced a line to follow. Made sure to go slow to get a nice straight line. Small deviations could be fixed by sanding with the 60 grit

Work smarter, not harder!
DSC01138.gif

After about 15-20 mins of cutting it down and sanding to get a straight line, it came out looking like this.

DSC01141.gif

DSC01140.gif

Not too bad IMO. Left side could come down a little, but once it is painted and in the car it should look pretty good. The difficult part will be mounting it up. And I'm assuming that the wiring will work....

Last edited:

Hodgepodge

Established Member
Still haven't gotten the harness to plug into the new radio, but figured I would post this up

Wiring into the Freestyle radio(Metra 70-5520)
Wiring_into_Radio.gif

Wiring into car factory harness(Metra 71-5511)
Into_Car.gif

What do you think, Mr. Adams?

MR.ADAMS

Established Member
Unless those diagrams are specific to the vehicles you got your parts from and convert Ford's wire coloring system into the Metra colors, I wouldn't use them. From what I saw the Metra printed functions were garbage. There was even an occasion where a wire was blatantly in the wrong pin, which is exactly why I chose to use OEM Ford pinouts.

Get some OEM diagrams, should be a lot easier with them.

DoomsDay

Slayer of Gods...
Established Member
Just searched and found this, im wanting to swap to the newer center but wondering what you guys are using to dye them to match the sn95 interior

Users who are viewing this thread