03-04 Center Console/Radio Swap

MR.ADAMS

Established Member
Whose done the swap from the two-tiered radio and cd player to the updated center console and radio from the newer cars? This is something I'll probably be doing over the winter and I'd like to use all OEM pieces.

I know the console is straight-forward but is the updated radio a plug and play affair? Any tips or write-up would be great.

Last edited:

no2moro

Established Member
Its not hard at all. You just need the center radio bezel from a newer 2001 up mustang. Are you wanting to use the factory double din 6 disc player or aftermarket?

MR.ADAMS

Established Member
I would like to use the factory double DIN, or at least everything factory that I can. My concern is if the harnesses that plug into the back of the newer unit are the same plugs we have on the older Mach 460 system, or if I'll have to splice a newer harness on.

I know this isn't a hard swap but these are just a few questions I had before I start buying parts. I just want the updated interior!

Last edited:

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
i heard its not worth it and sound is not as good, just stay stock or go completly aftermarket with new speakers, headunit and amp with subs

foxman92

Its slow
Established Member
ive been looking to do the same swap, i already have a 03 cobra center console.. by the looks of the dash, you will have to cut some of it out in order to get the new double din to fit.. and you will have 3 useless switches with the double din.. they look alot better, but for now i just went with the console.. let me know how it goes.

cobraman1024

Waiting to be Blown....
Established Member
Did they make the newer interiors and bezels in just black like the SN95 or are they are charcoal?

The newer stuff is charcoal only. I've made several attempts at colormatching the SN95 black but haven't found an exact match yet. Awhile back someone posted a Ford part number for the SN95 black interior dye but Tousley says that it doesn't exist anymore.

MR.ADAMS

Established Member
I'll more than likely be dying all of the swap parts black because i'll probably end up with a mixed bag of colors otherwise.

One of the things I can't seem to figure out is the wiring of the 2003-2004 double DIN 6-Disc cd changer into the SN95 Mach Dual Single DIN 460 harness. There are millions of threads about this swap on the net but none of them ever seem to illustrate the wiring needed.

Last edited:

94venomV8

Established Member
The center console fits right in, but the double din you may have issues with wiring as far as the mach sound system and everything. I am not sure but I do know that it is much easier just to put a after market in and be done then the double din. Plus if you do the double din you will have the switches for fogs, traction control and rear defrost in the shifter bezel that you will have to either not use or re-wire your existing stuff which IMO is not worth it either. Do the center console and be done.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
I'll more than likely be dying all of the swap parts black because i'll probably end up with a mixed bag of colors otherwise.

One of the things I can't seem to figure out is the wiring of the 2003-2004 double DIN 6-Disc cd changer into the SN95 Mach Dual Single DIN 460 harness. There are millions of threads about this swap on the net but none of them ever seem to illustrate the wiring needed.

amp aka METRA makes a harness with pigtails that will plug right into the back of the newer radio, then you buy another harness with the pigtails that would be for wiring up an aftermarket deck, and then splice the matching colors together..

The harness that plugs into the factory deck part number starts with BHO while the regular harness is a BHA-$&*#

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
oh.. I've done the swap.. But wouldn't waste my time with a POS factory deck

dash.jpg

no2moro

Established Member
The sound quality is about the same with the double din factory. You have to repin the harness. If you use a factory make sure to get the wiring harness also. You would be better getting a 2004 head unit. The early models had a lot of problems so they change them. When they changed over they also changed the wiring harness. Early model double din comes with black plugs and late model double din are grey plugs.

MR.ADAMS

Established Member
I am not sure but I do know that it is much easier just to put a after market in and be done then the double din. Plus if you do the double din you will have the switches for fogs, traction control and rear defrost in the shifter bezel that you will have to either not use or re-wire your existing stuff which IMO is not worth it either. Do the center console and be done.

I'm still half and half about if I really want to use the factory double DIN or not. I mainly want to do this swap because I simply want the updated center section, but I also want iPod functionality. Using factory components means I would have to add an iPod adapter to the 6-disc because I hate those stupid FM transmitters. Also, if I swap the bezel I would make all of the buttons functional, including the TRAC OFF, it would just be used for my high-speed fan switch.

amp aka METRA makes a harness with pigtails that will plug right into the back of the newer radio, then you buy another harness with the pigtails that would be for wiring up an aftermarket deck, and then splice the matching colors together..

The harness that plugs into the factory deck part number starts with BHO while the regular harness is a BHA-$&*#

I think I've got the harness numbers in one of my pages I saved from searching.

oh.. I've done the swap.. But wouldn't waste my time with a POS factory deck

As I said I'm doing this mainly to have the newer style electronics. I don't have any complaints about the factory two-tier Mach 460 system as is, and to be honest I don't really want a giant screen in my dash. I had that back in my ricer days and people constantly tried breaking into my vehicle because of it. I also don't have want for things like GPS, or DVD, or anything like that.

The sound quality is about the same with the double din factory. You have to repin the harness. If you use a factory make sure to get the wiring harness also. You would be better getting a 2004 head unit. The early models had a lot of problems so they change them. When they changed over they also changed the wiring harness. Early model double din comes with black plugs and late model double din are grey plugs.

Thanks for the info, one of the problems I've been having is pinning down just which 6-disc came in the 04's. This should help me I.D. a set.

Last edited:

MR.ADAMS

Established Member
I got a few of the parts for the radio swap today. Right now I'm concentrated on finding a CD player (whether it be the 6-disc or an aftermarket) and wiring it in along with the wiring of the defroster and fog light buttons. I'm putting off looking for a center console as that's the easiest part of the swap and I'm still debating whether it's worth doing (spending the $ for cupholders).

IMG00149.jpg

IMG00151.jpg

I also did some powdercoating last night. I'm trying to keep myself busy indoors and adapt to being shut in for the season even though we've had the tamest winter I've seen so far here in S.E. MI.

Wrinkle black valvecovers
IMG00150.jpg

MR.ADAMS

Established Member
I also took apart the defroster switch from my car to see how it worked...... chaos ensued.

IMG00138.jpg

When I cracked it open the springs and bearing inside went everywhere. I wasn't prepared for that and it took me a while to find the bearing. Either way I replaced the two bulbs inside and I learned something new lol. Old technology sucks.

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
I am swapping in a double din setup soon and have the radio bezel. I took a differenet approach you may want to consider with the three buttons. I removed them and filled the holes and repainted the entire bezel. I will post pictures today if I can. I really had no use for the buttons and I think this will look good. I have a 6 disc that I was going to splice into the stock system but I think I am going to go aftermarket.

crash549

kill whitey
Established Member
do they make any dress up peices for the three buttons on the bottom? i would want to delete those. i'm looking into doing the same swap, and maybe a tv instead of the cd player.

Users who are viewing this thread