03-04 Cobra Demand

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That is correct Bob, 4 Sonics haha. I like to buy multiples of things. It’s a flaw of mine. I never buy these cars with the intention to sell, it just happens. Members reach out and make me an offer and the rest is history. I usually break even if not lose a little on them but I enjoy the thrill of the hunt.

I currently own 3 GT350Rs. I will always love the Cobras for nostalgic reasons but it’s very difficult to drive them once you have experienced the new technology.

I just found myself reaching for the cobra keys less and less once I got my first R. I’m sure I’ll own another if the opportunity presented itself.
Thanks for the reply. You answered the big question that I had in my head. Do you buy to own, or buy to turn them around on a resale. You're a true Terminator fan if you buy so many of them over the years and don't ever have an intent to sell. If it happens, it happens, and you move on to hunt for another one. Pretty cool!
upload_2021-3-6_11-14-11.png

Canuck03SVT

Established Member
I got mine right before I turned 18. Back in November. I am still learning to drive her but I get tons of thumbs up from other mustang guys lol. I also notice tons of people in other nice cars notice me and turn their head XD

Just curious as to how a 17 year old can afford a car like that and insurance?

Congrats on the purchase.

Snake82

Established Member
I first saw one in 2004 when I was in college, a DSG coupe. 15 years later I was lucky enough to buy one, which also happens to be a DSG coupe.

It is one of the few cars that if you buy it today, it probably will not lose value. I would only sell it if I had no choice.

Last edited:

Venom351R

Established Member
Just read through all of this and so many good points. I wanted one of these when they were new but I could not afford it. Fast forward to last year when I finally got one. I wanted to get one before they hit the 20 year and then 25 year mark knowing the value was going to go up and with less and less around every year.

I bought my 04 Torch Red coupe last july just before the prices started their climb. I was lucky enough to buy it from someone that I had known for a long time. Not that the car is w/ out a few issues here and there but overall its a very sound and solid car. I bought it as a summer car and something to mod and have fun with. I busted my ass the prior two years so I could buy one in 2020. Even though mine would not pull the premium prices due to miles / color I'd still never sell it. I hope that in a year or so if I can expand my garage I'd like to add another one. Time will tell on that though. I feel lucky to just have one now so I'll enjoy it as much as I can and build it to be a really fun street car and hurt some feelings on those who do not know what these cars are capable of........ Its just an old Mustang with a small 4.6 V8, nothing special...sure I'll race you.
hometown thumnail.png

wckdvnm

Established Member
Last year I got $45k for a 3300 mile CO coupe and $38k for a 3500 mile sonic coupe. Those were the outliers.

Id say only the SB car is an outlier; CO cars always go for stupid money, the other as of late seems to be DSG’s with more and more of the Instagram famous cars being DSG, CO, mystichrome, or black.
These cars are seeing a resurgence as more large social media people are buying them.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I would kill for a clean 65-66 fastback

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
There is a fenced in lot literally 2 miles from my house. I drive by it every day on my way to work.

There are two 65/6 fastback shells and one 67 fastback shell just sitting in there. They have been there for years.

I always wish the owner would happen to be there as I'm driving by so I can make an offer.

Would love to build a 65 Fastback during my retirement years :)....

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Grady

Established Member
I am 69. I have owned 2 2004 SY vert. I still own the one I have now. 11,000 miles with only a few bolt one. Pulley, cold air, 3in. Exhaust and shifter. Have all the original parts. I bought this car from the original owner in Michigan who worked for Ford. He bought this car for his wife’s birthday in 2004. I am also keeping this car for the appreciation that will go up in a few years. Two years ago I thought I should also own a 2004 Mach 1 for the same reason. I found this car in California in the Sacramento area. 2004 Azure Blue with 10,000 miles on it. They sure do look good in my garage together. The only add I did to this car was to pull off the rusted steel drive shaft and putting on an aluminum one after polishing it to look like chrome. I live 3 miles from Manheim Auto Auction. I wholesaled cars for a living. Some of you may disagree with this but I will tell you if you are holding these car for appreciation you need to let them totally stock. Collectors are not looking for these cars with a lot of Mods done to them. Just watch the big car auctions. There was a 2004 Red Mach 1 at Mecum just a few months ago. The original Ford dealer never sold the car and kept it with a couple miles on it. Window stickers still on the windows. My window sticker on my Mach 1 is just a little over $30,000. That car broke $40,000. I watched it run. I love having one of each. The run numbers on the Mach 1s are just about dead even. The old man.

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
To answer the OP, feels great to get back into another 03-04' Cobra. I owned a DSG coupe from 2003 to 2010 and sold it when I went the GT500 route. Two months ago, bought an 03' DSG Vert. Took me over a year to find the Cobra I wanted for the price I wanted to pay. But was well worth the wait. Car is in great condition and I've had a great time this winter cleaning and detailing it.
Nice!!! Dwight in an 03 DSG..... almost feels like old times... except for the vert part. Congrats man, let me know the next time you are in the area. Would love to see the new whip!

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
Still have my 03 MG. I have put less than 500 miles on it in the last 5 years. People have randomly come to my door asking if I am the one with the "Terminator" and asking if I would sell. This has happened at least 3 times! They have heard about it from one of my neighbors or friends and just show up. Usually ends with a beer or two in the garage discussing all that has been done to the car and then me telling them I can't sell it, haha. Just can't...

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I think the other surprising thing is the demand for the used parts. My buddy swapped from a gen 2 2.3 to a gen 4 2.9. He posted about the 2.3 coming off in a local group we're in and he had a deposit on it within a couple days. The guy swung by my place to pick it up about an hour after we had it off the car. We pulled his old Fore hat the Saturday before last and by Monday it was sold. And this was the old one that still had the hoses connecting the pumps to the hat.

Grady

Established Member
Guys, go to my last post #74. I work security at Manheim Auction where I used to wholesale. I still have my dealer ID, so I can still log in to see the post sale results. I obviously keep watching for 2003-04 Cobras to show up here. Very rare but after posting here last or two, I checked and guess what was sold March 19th? A 2004 Silver coupe with 38k for $30,000.00 on the nose. Remember this is wholesale dealer only. There also had to be more than 1 bidder. I have to be fragile with this part. In these cars and any type of performance cars color means a lot. Just from my experience of all the years selling Silver is not one of the top money colors. Black, Red and not metallic red, just bright Red, Orange and of course Mystic Chrome, and the Screaming Yellow of 04 not so much the Zinc yellow of 03. Again this is not my opinion just a fact. Given that $30,000.00 is a lot of money at the auction. Back to what I said in the last post. The very low mile original cars are going to be the BIG money cars going forward. I hope I did not upset anyone, it is just through my experience. If you have a low mileage original car and looking for the appreciation factor, let it the Hell alone. I also understand the guy that just bought it to drive. I just took mine out Sunday 1st time since last November. I had it up on the lift all winter detailing the under cariage. I love just being in the garage with it. Jack

Users who are viewing this thread