03-04 Cobra Ford Racing M-10300-SC46

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it was time for a new alternator.

My last oem alternator, which is still on the car, is causing the battery light to show up only in stop and go traffic. It has 53k on it.

Had the battery already replaced.

After much debate on whether to spring for the Mechman Billet-Tech decided to try this Ford Racing option for our cars.

Here are some pics to alleviate any fears. It seems the images being provided, of this alternator, on most vendor sites doesn't seem like its a compatible looking alternator for our cars. But is.

FRalt4.jpg

FRalt3.jpg

FRalt2.jpg

FRalt.jpg

I dd mine so I put +12k or more a year. Will keep you guys updated when I hit 10k markers or if a premature failure occurs.

In the event anyone wants to know I got this one for $244.95, shipping included, from Summit Racing. It was on back order for 7 days.

vr4

Established Member
that looks VERY similar to the alt i just put in a 3.0 2v taurus yesterday. rear case is clocked differently but probably wouldnt be hard to fix that. actually the first one we got (from napa) was clocked like this one.

i just wish they were still sitting here so i could compare...

Well its installed.

Battery light is gone.

Now we wait and see how many miles this alternator can sustain...

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
What's the amp output on that alt? Curious also to know whats the average life on a alt? I know many things to consider, and heat kills them. My car has 24k miles, bought it with 20k so not sure if it's been replaced yet or not.

What's the amp output on that alt? Curious also to know whats the average life on a alt? I know many things to consider, and heat kills them. My car has 24k miles, bought it with 20k so not sure if it's been replaced yet or not.

Its rated as a 130amp, according to all the Ford Racing literature I've looked at.

What I can share is that this is now my 3rd alternator. I'm 50miles short of 94k on my motor.

My first alternator lasted 42k and my 2nd just short of 52k. Both of the previous alternators were all OEM, not remanufactured.

I can tell you for sure, that if this Ford Racing alternator, doesn't at least get me 60k...I'm going to be very disappointed.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Its rated as a 130amp, according to all the Ford Racing literature I've looked at.

What I can share is that this is now my 3rd alternator. I'm 50miles short of 94k on my motor.

My first alternator lasted 42k and my 2nd just short of 52k. Both of the previous alternators were all OEM, not remanufactured.

I can tell you for sure, that if this Ford Racing alternator, doesn't at least get me 60k...I'm going to be very disappointed.

Good info thanks for sharing. I've always kept up on the alternator threads just waiting for mine to take a crap on me.:beer:

03DSGMach1

10's or Bust!
Established Member
sub'n for updates!

that looks VERY similar to the alt i just put in a 3.0 2v taurus yesterday. rear case is clocked differently but probably wouldnt be hard to fix that. actually the first one we got (from napa) was clocked like this one.

You would be correct. My buddy reclocked a taurus alternator for his car before it was stolen.

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Measure the pulley diameter and compare it to the stock one. The larger it is, the longer it will last.

Can you tell us the diameter of the pulley?

The Ford Racing one was identical to stock, it was a 2.6.

The Mechman Billet tech one, from what I researched, is a 2.9.

FastlaneParts

Established Member

I'm glad to hear that this alternator is correct for the terminator, despite all of the marketing to the contrary, :)

I'm thinking that it being a "Ford Racing" unit, there must be some upgrades to make it last longer than the stock units do.

sub'n for updates!

You would be correct. My buddy reclocked a taurus alternator for his car before it was stolen.

Yes, the stock terminator 6g is the very same unit that came on the later-model Taurus, but re-clocked. This is why it is so easy for rebuilders to offer replacement or upgraded alternators for the Terminator. This is why I can buy every component of the stock 6g alternator easily, despite it having come on a two year only, low-production car. However, as has been discussed at length, those components don't seem to last long on the terminator application.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
So this alt is 130 amp, is that what the oem one is? I thought I seen some members buying the 160 amp ebay unit. Is to much amp's a problems? Can you ever have to much?

03DSGMach1

10's or Bust!
Established Member
Stock is a 105 or 110 iirc and the 160amp eBay alternator is a hit or miss when it comes to longevity. Some have had it for over a year others just a couple months.

vr4

Established Member
Yes, the stock terminator 6g is the very same unit that came on the later-model Taurus, but re-clocked. This is why it is so easy for rebuilders to offer replacement or upgraded alternators for the Terminator. This is why I can buy every component of the stock 6g alternator easily, despite it having come on a two year only, low-production car. However, as has been discussed at length, those components don't seem to last long on the terminator application.

the napa/any other cheap remans dont last on other cars either. even the "new" napa stuff doesnt last like an OEM.

ive had better luck with OEM stuff from a junkyard than a garbage reman from napa/etc.

TRQJUNKIE

Justa Slobra
Established Member
Startncharge builds em on here and they are very reliable. I have a 160amp on my car from him and I've had it on there for two years now, no issues.

START 'N CHARGE

alternator/starter guy
Established Member
You can't reclock a 6G unless you completely disassemble the unit & pull the stator out.Since they are pressed into the front housing it's not something your average mechanic should attempt.:nono:

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
I put a cheapo carquest 105amp in mine back in 2009, and havent had any issues since. I needed one real quick for a track night and that was my last resort. Still going strong haha. That pos has a lifetime warranty. Although if the FRPP ones are working well I will go with one of those in the future.

CARQUEST - Product Information:Reman Alternators By BBB Industries

Last edited:

raym5_0

on 3 u go
Established Member
I wonder if ceramic coating the exhaust on our cars would decrease the heat enough to prevent failure of the alternator?.....the high underhood heat appears to be the culprit for failure according to many threads I've seen. I imagine those manifolds get pretty toasty at 6k+rpms pushin 600+hp

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread