03-04 Reman engine info.

TVSCobra

Established Member
After many calls and research here is what I found out.

- The engine are reman by a company in Texas called AER.
AER

- The blocks are bored .020 over.

- Since Zollner is no longer around, the pistons are Mahle.

I'm still waiting on a response for the type of ring used, rods, crank and the piston to wall clearance among other things.

I will update when I have more information.

Last edited:

my92gt

Established Member
I have a reman motor.. Runs great but can't say much since I'm not even on a break in tune and have a ported blower... I'll try to see what it can handle..

TVSCobra

Established Member
I read on a few threads in here that the pistons were forged Mahle, has anyone ever comfirmed this? This may have been true at one point in time. Zollner has been out of business for awhile now. I'm still waiting on another response from AER on more details like:

- Crankshaft
- Rods
- Piston to wall clearance
- Bearings used in the rod caps and mains
- rings

I will update when I get more information

Rambro

Established Member
I have been wondering what the details on the reman are for the longest time. Are they still available?

TVSCobra

Established Member
Yes they are, I have been in contact through email with a rep at AER. Still waiting for the next email response on more details on the components used.

my92gt

Established Member
My motor was built/purchased in 07. Just this past June it finally went into the car. 7 months and no complaints here.

TVSCobra

Established Member
Ok I got some clarification.

The pistons are not Federal Mogul they are Mahle. AER also said that the pistons were never forged in these motors. Just telling you guys what I was told.

The rods are the SVT Manley H beams and the crank is forged steel.

AER could not tell me what the part number for the Mahle piston, the rings used, or the piston to wall clearance.

I think he may have been mistaken on the type of Mahle piston used, anyway these reman engine have a very good rep.

I will bo ordering one on Tuesday from Tousley.

Last edited:

KINGCOBRA86

Tvs @ 22psi ftw
Established Member
Is this a long block or short block ?

Do you have a part # on ether ? Thanks

My ford dealer called and aer said they only sale sohc motor

Also do you have a price on a long block or short block

Last edited:

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Ok I got some clarification.

The pistons are not Federal Mogul they are Mahle. AER also said that the pistons were never forged in these motors. Just telling you guys what I was told.

The rods are the SVT Manley H beams and the crank is forged steel.

AER could not tell me what the part number for the Mahle piston, the rings used, or the piston to wall clearance.

I think he may have been mistaken on the type of Mahle piston used, anyway these reman engine have a very good rep.

I will bo ordering one on Tuesday from Tousley.

Why are you buyin one if the pistons aren't forged? Will it hold up? Who builds the engines from Tousely? How much they run?

TVSCobra

Established Member
I talked to two different people. Also there is more than one AER plant, they have several manufacturing facilities and yes they do reman the Cobra engine. I had to call about 20 times to first get the right plant and then talk to the right person at AER.
Also confirmed by Tousley Ford that AER remans the Cobra engine.

This engine comes complete from oil pan to valve covers and you get a new water pump and oil cooler.

The guy I talked to also say he as never seen one fail that wasn't related to a lean condition, these reman engines have a great rep.

THE PISTONS ARE FORGED MAHLE.

The longblock from Tousley is around 6000 then you get 2000 back when you return the core. It has to be a Terminator core.

I also sent MAHLE an email to confirm even more, waiting on a response back from them.

By the way Senkak runs a reman since 2005.

Last edited:

TVSCobra

Established Member
Why are you buyin one if the pistons aren't forged? Will it hold up? Who builds the engines from Tousely? How much they run?

I think he was mistaken. The other person I talked to said the pistons were Mahle and they have been the same since Zollner went out of business.

They have to be forged. approx 6k and you get 2k back after returning core.

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
I talked to two different people. Also there is more than one AER plant, they have several manufacturing facilities and yes they do reman the Cobra engine. I had to call about 20 times to first get the right plant and then talk to the right person at AER.
Also confirmed by Tousley Ford that AER remans the Cobra engine.

This engine comes complete from oil pan to valve covers and you get a new water pump and oil cooler.

The guy I talked to also say he as never seen one fail that was related to a lean condition, these reman engines have a great rep.

THE PISTONS ARE FORGED MAHLE.

The longblock from Tousley is around 6000 then you get 2000 back when you return the core. It has to be a Terminator core.

I also sent MAHLE an email to confirm even more, waiting on a response back from them.

By the way Senkak runs a reman since 2005.

Nice diggin sir and thank you for sharing the info? Seems promising IMO. Good price considering customer givin up the core.

Baby J

Established Member
i see alot of talk about the pistons and everything sounds great but what about the heads?? are they the new updated flowing heads and are they 9 thread? if so i'll be ordering me one next week...

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
i see alot of talk about the pistons and everything sounds great but what about the heads?? are they the new updated flowing heads and are they 9 thread? if so i'll be ordering me one next week...

Yes they come with the latest Jan 2005 casting 9 thread head with updated water passages.

A.T

Established Member
I have about 6k on mine since July 2011. I was wondering about the bore myself. Good info. The only problem I have is the block drain above the reman tag at cylinder #8. It did have loctite on the treads too. Replaced the plug with a square head plug with silicone, and still leaks. Next time I'll use teflon tape on it.

Users who are viewing this thread