'03 COBRA BRAKES UPGRADE?

DEADLYSVT03

Established Member
QUESTION....We all have modified our cobra's in one way or another....I am curious as to how many owners have done some sort of brake upgrades? We all know that the braking system leaves alot to be desired on this car....I em a company for suggestions and they recommended nickel-plated rotors and new pads....anybody have any suggestions?

2003 Satin Silver Cobra Coupe
MAC cat-back awesome!
K&N fliter
UPR interior upgrade
MGWLTD shifter extension
UPR engine dress ups
Cobra grill emblem
black vinyl cobra letters
'01 Cobra floor mats
1300 miles and she just keeps getting better

BTW my 17 yr old son can't wait to get his hands on it....boy, does he have a wait on his hands!!!!

JoeAsheville

Asheville NC-Bohemian Wonderland
Established Member
Stock brakes are fine for me

Before spending some serious coin on Baer brake upgrades or Brembo calipers, try some stickier brake pads. I upfit my old 95 Cobra with Ferodo pads from Advance Auto Parts, and that was all I needed. I'm very satisfied with the stock brakes on the car, check my thread "Learning the handling on the 03 Cobra"...

At last check, Brembo calipers were going for around $750 a pair in some spots while the Baer units were $3500 (basic upgrade) to $7000 for a pair of Extreme+ Alcon 6-pot calipers.

A couple more things to keep in mind. Even the Saleen S281E only has Alcon 4-pots, it keeps stock GT rear brakes. Any time calipers are upgraded, say buh-bye to economical pad choices...pads for those Baers are not cheap. The Brembos might be, since they probably have a Ford part number (they were stock on the '00 R model).

Hope this helps...

ZXnVS

Established Member
If you plan to race or autocross then I guess you could say the brakes leave a lot to be desired, but for the type of driving most Cobra owners are likely to do, I'd say they're not bad at all. What aspect are you unhappy with?

DEADLYSVT03

Established Member
ZXnVS....i take her out occasionally but when i do i have a tendency to jump on her...don't get me wrong, i don't abuse her but i do use her....i am looking for the looks of drilled rotors and figured if i'm doing it i might as well do the upgrade while i'm at it.....

Users who are viewing this thread