03 cobra clunk

5_0coyote

Established Member
Hi i have a 03 cobra and its my first mustang and still getting use to it.. But my question is why dose it make a clucking sound when i go into first or when i shift hard and fast? is that normal? And thanks!

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
#03-04probs

It's a common noise that comes with these cars. It's referred to as the 'cobra clunk' - and it's from the rear end from what I've heard.

Zemedici

Established Member
Yep it's basically all the time

Not not really, just a characteristic of the car really. The noise seems to be coming from the rear right?

mp23

Established Member
Just replaced my bushings and the clunk went away. The only issue is that there may be some gear noise when you replace them.

5_0coyote

Established Member
Just replaced my bushings and the clunk went away. The only issue is that there may be some gear noise when you replace them.

What bushings did you replace? just wondering how bushings stop the clunck.. dose it stop the clutch even when shifting hard?

Jibber

Kevin
Established Member
Take a look at Full Tilt Boogie Racing. Read all the information and your questions will get answered.

highcompression

...who ?
Established Member
Mine has urethane f/r differential bushings ..... Biggest difference I felt was changing fluid to RP 90-140, virtually eliminated my mild "clunk".

Try changing diff fluid, it's typically sheared, burnt, and thin ! ..... Everything on this car runs HOT !

cj428mach

Established Member
I say check your differential bushings. My old SB car had the clunk pretty bad, the new owner put in new bushings and totally eliminated the noise. I was impressed when he gave me a ride in it.

mp23

Established Member
I really cant remember, they were from summit about 50-80 bucks. Clunk is gone but the diff noise is there which im hoping does away. I replaced the clutch so I have not had a chance to romp on it hard yet to tell if it will clunk when shifting hard.

5_0coyote

Established Member
I really cant remember, they were from summit about 50-80 bucks. Clunk is gone but the diff noise is there which im hoping does away. I replaced the clutch so I have not had a chance to romp on it hard yet to tell if it will clunk when shifting hard.

What makes the clunk when shifting? same as when going into first? is the clunk when shifting hard bad for it?

5_0coyote

Established Member
Mine has urethane f/r differential bushings ..... Biggest difference I felt was changing fluid to RP 90-140, virtually eliminated my mild "clunk".

Try changing diff fluid, it's typically sheared, burnt, and thin ! ..... Everything on this car runs HOT !

Yeah do i have to drop the IRS to change the fluid?

5_0coyote

Established Member
I say check your differential bushings. My old SB car had the clunk pretty bad, the new owner put in new bushings and totally eliminated the noise. I was impressed when he gave me a ride in it.

Yeah most people are saying that to… do you get the clunk when shifting hard and fast?

Sick SVT

Established Member
yes you can get the clunk when shifting into first or shifting hard. When you shift and hit the next gear hard it can cause the rear subframe to flex or move a bit causing the noise. Mine did it the worst shifting into first at a stop but also did it under normal shifting as well. Read this from the ftbr website...and no you dont need to drop the irs to change the fluid

http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/faqs.htm#clunk

Q: "Why do I hear a clunk in my drive train?"

A: There are a few reasons for this. Your transmission, differential and halfshafts can all combine for quite a bit of play, but that usually is not the MAIN source of the "clunk".

A few things can contribute to the Cobra "clunk".

#1 would be the rear differential support bushing. The rubber OEM differential bushings are designed to handle about 390 RWHP driven in a moderate fashion.
That eliminates about 98% of Cobra owners right there.

#2 would be front differential bushings whether they be OEM rubber or aftermarket poly. These need to be changed.

#3 would be the front subframe mounting bolts that can contribute to the "clunk". The 12mm bolts that were originally installed at the factory allow play when applying torque and decelerating.
This location is capable of accepting a larger bolt which will hold the front subframe mount more firmly in the chassis and prevent movement. See info above for our 9/16" bolt upgrade part number FT 1600.

Last edited:

5_0coyote

Established Member
yes you can get the clunk when shifting into first or shifting hard. When you shift and hit the next gear hard it can cause the rear subframe to flex or move a bit causing the noise. Mine did it the worst shifting into first at a stop but also did it under normal shifting as well. Read this from the ftbr website...and no you dont need to drop the irs to change the fluid

http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/faqs.htm#clunk

Q: "Why do I hear a clunk in my drive train?"

A: There are a few reasons for this. Your transmission, differential and halfshafts can all combine for quite a bit of play, but that usually is not the MAIN source of the "clunk".

A few things can contribute to the Cobra "clunk".

#1 would be the rear differential support bushing. The rubber OEM differential bushings are designed to handle about 390 RWHP driven in a moderate fashion.
That eliminates about 98% of Cobra owners right there.

#2 would be front differential bushings whether they be OEM rubber or aftermarket poly. These need to be changed.

#3 would be the front subframe mounting bolts that can contribute to the "clunk". The 12mm bolts that were originally installed at the factory allow play when applying torque and decelerating.
This location is capable of accepting a larger bolt which will hold the front subframe mount more firmly in the chassis and prevent movement. See info above for our 9/16" bolt upgrade part number FT 1600.

Ok thanks man.. yeah aim most lucky going to change the its bushings.. Evrey how long you think i should change the?

5_0coyote

Established Member
You are never going to completely eliminate any clunking. It is inherent in the half-shafts since the tri-pods have to expand and contract slightly to compensate for the control arm articulation. Better bushings will still go a long way though. Some good info here:

http://www.terminator-cobra.com/drivetrain.htm
Ok thanks… and every how long should i change the its bushings?

Users who are viewing this thread