03 Cobra Coupe Ride Height Adjustment

carguy96

Established Member
So I think I have come to the conclusion that my Cobra is sitting too low for my liking/practicality for how/where I use it.
Right now from the top of my wheel wells to the ground, its about 25 3/4-26". I have been looking for lowering springs that will lower these cars about 3/4" to 1" but can't seem to find anything (I still have IRS).
I am wondering whether or not to utilize a set of stock springs and attempt to cut half of a coil out of it or not because I am not sure if I want the OEM "monster truck" look.
Also, I am not sure about coilovers as I have zero experience with them and have heard a mixed bag of reviews, especially as this car is used more for cruising/street related things vs being taken to the track.

Looking for suggestions on a way to get roughly a 3/4-1 inch drop over the factory ride height.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
I cut a coil off, all the way around. I'm at 26.5" ground to wheel well lip, on all four corners.
P1013507.JPG

ad1b6d9e-2f3f-4f08-b2d6-712f414288b2_zpskobv82la.jpg

Last edited:

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
I had the same problem (crappy NY roads) and went from Eibach to H&R Race Springs. Brought the height up a bit but still looks good.

carguy96

Established Member
I cut a coil off, all the way around. I'm at 26.5" ground to wheel well lip, on all four corners.
View attachment 1544074
View attachment 1544075

Looks pretty good! Maybe cutting 1/2 a coil off will work for me then. I have a steep driveway into my garage and would love to not have to use wood planks to get it in and out of the garage without scraping my mid pipe flange on the entrance.
I am assuming that you are also running CC plates by dropping it that much? And when you cut the springs, did the car ride more or less the same, just with less travel in the suspension?

carguy96

Established Member
I had the same problem (crappy NY roads) and went from Eibach to H&R Race Springs. Brought the height up a bit but still looks good.

I currently have Eibachs on the car now. How much did it bring you up to? I feel like if i can raise the car a total of 1 inch or so I should be good to be able to get it into my garage without have to use wood planks to avoid my mid pipe taking another chunk out of the cement (steep driveway).
Maybe the H&R springs and MM Poly ISOs will do the trick.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
Looks pretty good! Maybe cutting 1/2 a coil off will work for me then. I have a steep driveway into my garage and would love to not have to use wood planks to get it in and out of the garage without scraping my mid pipe flange on the entrance.
I am assuming that you are also running CC plates by dropping it that much? And when you cut the springs, did the car ride more or less the same, just with less travel in the suspension?

Thanks and yes, CC plates are definitely needed. I also have the full FTBR setup in the IRS, including bump steer and diff cover. I think the car rides better than stock.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I put coil overs on all four corners on mine. I can adjust ride height to exactly where I want it whenever I want.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
I currently have Eibachs on the car now. How much did it bring you up to? I feel like if i can raise the car a total of 1 inch or so I should be good to be able to get it into my garage without have to use wood planks to avoid my mid pipe taking another chunk out of the cement (steep driveway).
Maybe the H&R springs and MM Poly ISOs will do the trick.

I'd say 3/4 to 1 inch and I think they're a little stiffer so that helps as well. I just feel they're a better spring with better feedback. Iso's all in too.

I changed for the same reason, was sick of scraping. Also, some have adjusted their exhaust using a floor jack while tightening everything up.

carguy96

Established Member
I put coil overs on all four corners on mine. I can adjust ride height to exactly where I want it whenever I want.

So If I wanted to drop the car 0.5 Inch from stock I could with the C/Os?
And does having a coilover setup put undue stress on the strut towers in the front because of the spring and spring both taking the load there?

carguy96

Established Member
I'd say 3/4 to 1 inch and I think they're a little stiffer so that helps as well. I just feel they're a better spring with better feedback. Iso's all in too.

I changed for the same reason, was sick of scraping. Also, some have adjusted their exhaust using a floor jack while tightening everything up.

I would definitely be interested in those springs then if I can keep better handling vs stock springs and raise the car up a bit.

And I will have to see what I can do about the exhaust as it currently doesn't look like there is too much I can do without cutting and welding.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
So If I wanted to drop the car 0.5 Inch from stock I could with the C/Os?
And does having a coilover setup put undue stress on the strut towers in the front because of the spring and spring both taking the load there?
Yes you can adjust them however you want them. As far as them putting undue stress on the tower it hasn’t been a problem and I have not heard of any issues from anyone else. I went the route because I am not a fan of cut springs. I know a lot of guys do it but it’s not for me.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
I would definitely be interested in those springs then if I can keep better handling vs stock springs and raise the car up a bit.

And I will have to see what I can do about the exhaust as it currently doesn't look like there is too much I can do without cutting and welding.

The H&R are a popular spring, lots of threads about them on this site. Plus, if you sold your eibach and picked up a pair of them it should be a wash money-wise.

carguy96

Established Member
Yes you can adjust them however you want them. As far as them putting undue stress on the tower it hasn’t been a problem and I have not heard of any issues from anyone else. I went the route because I am not a fan of cut springs. I know a lot of guys do it but it’s not for me.

I personally don't love the idea either but I guess it can be a decent cost cutting solution if done correctly.
I will have to look into the MM Coilover kit then.

carguy96

Established Member
The H&R are a popular spring, lots of threads about them on this site. Plus, if you sold your eibach and picked up a pair of them it should be a wash money-wise.

I will certainly check out the H&R springs. That with the MM Poly Iso's might put me where I want to be.

carguy96

Established Member
Have you tried new poly spring isolators? Usually bring it up 0.5" over stock rubber ISO's.

I have been thinking about that. But, that might not raise the car up enough. Unless I can also raise the mid pipe up 0.5” as well then I think I’d be set.

Users who are viewing this thread