03' COBRA Exhaust and SFC pics

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Got the car up on ramps to do the first oil change and snapped a few pics of the too quiet H and catback along with the bolted on Sub-Frame Connectors.

For bigger pics go to my photo album in my sig, look for photos with prefix "U" for under-the-car. There are 12 "U" pics in total.

fd9db2c1.jpg

fd9db29d.jpg

fd9db27a.jpg

fd9db1d9.jpg

Front of left sub-frame-connector

cobra 829

Established Member
going to telly on friday we should met up i pick my 03 up today sonic blue coupe it would look good next to your vert maybe 50s mickey ds let me know:beer:

SmithAtlanta

Established Member
Quick question..... I thought that only Cobra's came with sub frame connectors but after looking under my 02 Convertible GT(month old), I have a similar set of sub frame connectors.... Weird? Nice view of the under body......

donaisenbrey

Established Member
postban:

The pix are great....Any chance you have some of the catback? I can see that only the front was raised so I'm sure catback pix weren't easy...............Don

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Originally posted by donaisenbrey
postban:

The pix are great....Any chance you have some of the catback? I can see that only the front was raised so I'm sure catback pix weren't easy...............Don

Don, I'll roll it up on my ramps tonight and get some pics of it.;-)

donaisenbrey

Established Member
Don, I'll roll it up on my ramps tonight and get some pics of it.

Thanx so much......The reason the catback pix would be helpfull is that my exhaust guy has not seen an '03 yet (either have I) and I want him to see how "crimpped" and restrictive the pipes are. Your exhisting pix show that the cats and "h" section pipes seem to be not crimpped.

I plan on replacing only the catback ASAP. Got any inputs on who you plan to use? The FR500 looks good to me....the sound I'm looking for is "deep" (can a small bore sound like a big bore :??: ") and not to loud........Don

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Don, I tell you I am fuddled when it comes to this decision. I was originally going to go Bassani from headers back but now looking at the factory H, well, I am second guessing that. I want a good sound but not too loud. Before I got the car I was leaning FR500.

Perhaps I am again.

Guess I could always sell it if I don't like it.

One of my axioms is as follows;

The only path to true knowledge is through wasted money
copyright POSTBAN forever

:-D

SmithAtlanta

Established Member
My bets are that the Cat Back will be the big gainer with the 03 Cobra's also...... unless ford puts some type of baffle on their H- Pipes.

Why do I say this?
My 02 GT has something around the H Pipe that says BAF on both pipes. I am not sure if this was a quality control mark or to specify where the baffles are. If the 03 Cobra has baffles then a full system(X or H Pipes and Cat Backs) will be required to get the big gains everyone is talking about....

HOPETO

Established Member
You might want to consider the Dynomax #19314 Cat-back system. Its got there #17232 Ultra Flow 3" mufflers, 3" mandrel bent pipes with 3" stainless tips. I just got it last week and my 03 is due in this Friday. System comes in 6 pieces: 2 pipes that bolt on to the H pipe, 2 mufflers and 2 tail pipes with the stainless tips welded on. All the factory type hangers are welded to the pipes. Everyone said it should fit?? Lets hope so!!

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
OK, I talked to two different performance shops Detroit Speedworks and Livernois and both said Bassani X and Bassani Catback. The factory H is "restrictive" because it has 4 cats:??:

...further fuddled....

They want $469 for catted X and $689 for catback plus $120 to install both and $100 for before and after dyno runs (on a Mustang dyno) with backup runs.

I am leaning that way now. I know they can be found cheaper but not sure about with shipping????

Any Detroit locals know better source, the guy at DSW, Greg was knowledgeable and polite on the phone. The guy at Livernois was smacking his gum in the phone.:gt:

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Just added a bunch more pics of the catback and other stuff.

Check out all the pics with the prefic "UC" There are 27 of them. Use the pulldown and just scroll down. Link is in my sig.

Just look at all the kinks in that exhaust pipe after the muffler
fd9c6558.jpg

Lots of little dents too
fd9c64e4.jpg

hoodedsnake

Established Member
Hey postban, these things are real easy to install the Bassani especially bolts up real nice due to the quality of build. I would mail order just to save the 6% tax and those prices due seem a bit high, called Steeda last week for a full stainless system for the '03 and they quoted $1,049 + shipping. I think they use a Dr. Gas X for the '03.

Did you ever find a "terminator" tag, if not let me know I've found three so far on mine, I'll give you one if I see you on Tele sometime.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Originally posted by hoodedsnake
...snip...

Did you ever find a "terminator" tag, if not let me know I've found three so far on mine, I'll give you one if I see you on Tele sometime.

Yeah, found two today, very cool. Now we need some badges!

Are you going Bassani?

Also did you hear about the cruise night down here in Wyandotte?

It is on Biddle at the Pennsalt Club every Thursday listed on the MOCSEM page

Red '03 will possibly be there, I will be for sure. I'll be there about 5-5:30, Everybody else is welcome, '03 owner or not!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :burnout:

Last edited:

hoodedsnake

Established Member
Still up in the air on that its down to full bassani, FR500 or Steeda with Dr Gas. I think I'm gonna go with the FR500 as a cat back only for now, can always sell it I guess. Still need to get rid of that 4 cat set up if I go that way though. Whicj way are you leaning?
Where did you find you stickers at, they are all over the place from what I'm reading.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
Both Front and Rear Fascia. Also found "build sheet" mashed bewteen front subframe and floorpan!?!?

fd9bfc69.jpg

Go back and read my last post about the cruise, I edited it in but you had already replied:uh oh:

oh yeah, I am going full Bassani (today anyways:rolleyes: )

hoodedsnake

Established Member
I know what you mean my mind changes daily, I see someone getting a good deal on my used exhaust systems in a few months.. Ouch!

You found the GOLD man, I want a build sheet but havent found mine anywhere, even pulled the back seat searchin.

I know where Penwalt Club is at I think if its a nice day maybe I'll head over that way this Thursday, do those guys ever get out to Milan. I just found out today about a SVTOASEMI club run out there but it was tuesday night!!!

Users who are viewing this thread