03 Cobra smokes on start-up

julio

Established Member
I have a 03 Cobra (8500miles) that blows blus smoke on start-up, only on cold start-up, never on a hot restart. I suspect faulty valve stem seals/or worn guides. I called SVT to ask if they had any problems with this, they tell me this normal (since 1996)for these engines. If this is normal, then how many of yours smokes? Anyway the dealer is going to put a new left head on next week (ticking). I think I will go ahead and put the Apten cooling mod on while the tech has the engine out. Will the apten mod fix the smoking? will the pcv/seperator mod fix the smoking? If any of you had this problem I would appreciate your input on what you did to fix it. I love this car, but I cant stand for it smoke like that, its embarrassing!! Thanks!!!

julio

Established Member
Yeah, out the exhaust. always out the left pipe, sometimes both..

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
A lot of our "crew" here love performance cars ..... but aren't exactly engine builders... they just assume it's bad to get on the car much when it's brand new......:bash: They couldn't be more wrong! We have a very brief window of opportunity with regards to cylinder seal(ring seating)... The sharp abrasive edges of the crosshatch act as a file and trim the rings to conform with the shape of the cylinder more closely... Most importantly the springy tension of the rings is not enough to get a really good seal...
And THAT my Friends is the reason for lots of full throttle pulls, under load, at operating temp. and early in the life of the engine. The high cylinder pressures push the rings out against the cyl walls....... If you have waited too long the abrasive crosshatch will be worn smooth, and you will not be able to improve cylinder seal, short of disassembly, re-hone. and new rings(worst case).... there are of course other causes of smoke @ start up... Guides and guide seals, and the PCV thing.

PS: Even though the amount of synthetic in the 5w20 is probably just enough to get it to exceed the spec..... I don't want to seat my rings with it.... It's just going to slow down the proccess...
If 5w30 organic motorcraft was fine for many years ...it's fine for me now........ some where near 6k the full synth goes in(w Canton pan and windage tray)
Jimmy:thumbsup:

Last edited:

julio

Established Member
Let me know Marc, Johnson, I agree with you! As far as the rings seating issue, I feel they are seated, because if not, unseated rings would smoke at all times...I really love this car, but @$#^&it I cant stand it smoking...:cryying:

MyT-Mouse

Established Member
I was pulling WOT at 700-800 miles and my car runs great. No smoke, no tick. I don't really believe in the break in period for an engine either 500 miles, oil change, and then its ON.

NewToFord

Established Member
I've noticed a little smoke at startup from time to time.

akaeric

Established Member
DO you keep the car in a garage or outside. If your car stays outside its going to smoke when cold moister collects in the exhaust over night and will dry up as it gets warm. I keep mine in a garage so I don't get that cold smoke even in cold weather.

KingKobra

Established Member
Mine smokes... BLUE/GREY and alot. My first 03 didn't do that... this is my second... it's definitely SOMETHING, but I haven't taken it in yet to find out what they say.

temjin9876

Bringer of Destruction!
Established Member
my 98 did it like clockwork. I even had a cop ask me about it.

My 03 did it once very very little but that was all. It is a very annoying and somewhat common occurence in the late model cobras.

NMRAcer

Aviator & Terminator
Established Member
mine does it on the first cold start of the day also.
34000 miles here. I figured it's just from having forged pistons that have not expanded to cylinder diameter yet. No big deal though, I let it warm up for about 4 min before i get it above 1000RPM, and I check the oil regularly like everyone should do on every car they own.

69 Boss9

Established Member
I have had this smoke issue on a 2001 Cobra and a few 5.4 trucks. I would not be concerned if it only does it occasionally and for a very brief moment. Each one of mine would not do it at all past 10,000 miles.

OLD FART

Established Member
I wouldn't want mine to smoke either. So far, so good.
I can see why having forged pistons could cause this.
They will have slightly excessive piston clearance when
cold. Make sure and don't let it run out of oil.

When we do an oil consumption test at our shop, we
start by adding 5 qts (on a 6 qt system), run it and let
it set, then check the oil and mark the dipstick at that
level. Then add the last quart, run and check, and then
mark the stick again, at the full level. Now you know
when it's 1 quart low. Document the mileage and date,
and then note whenever you add a quart. Show this
to the dealer after 3-6000 miles (2 oil change intervals)
providing it is using oil, because this is how Ford says
to check oil consumption. Any other way, and they won't
believe you. Good luck.

jimh

Established Member
Apten cooling mod is one of the smartest things you could do while the head is being replaced. If you have the tick that could be allowing some oil past the guides. It's believe it's a distorted guide causing the tick.

For the most part your rings are seated from the factory. Your oil rings (3rd ring) don't need to be seated like the top 2 compression rings. There is still time later and ranging RPMS with full and part throttle is good for breaking in the motor and finish seating the rings. If it was your rings it would most likely do it all the time. It could be oil getting past the breather and puddling overnight. Clean out you breather tube real good if it still smokes when you get it back. See if it doesn't cleran up over the next month.

Good luck! Do the Apten mod!

jim

03outlaw

Established Member
jimmysidecarr

So are you saying I should beat the hell out of it with little miles? not trying to be a smart a**, just asking. And if so how many miles would be to late? Thanks

ricardoa1

Established Member
I posted about this problem before, and almost everyone agreed that it was normal. Today at start up it did the blue smoke thing for 10 seconds. That its a lot in my opinion. If this is a problem that needs attention I would love to know.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Re: jimmysidecarr

Originally posted by 03outlaw
So are you saying I should beat the hell out of it with little miles? not trying to be a smart a**, just asking. And if so how many miles would be to late? Thanks
Basicly....... Yes....
Don't be bouncing it off the rev limiter, and don't do it cold, vary the pulls to give high cylinder pressure at all the usable power rev points..... I wish I could tell you when it's too late:shrug: but I can't...
Some of the guys mentioned the pcv issue.... It's real..... and most likely that IS the cause of the smoking experienced by julio. (pcv is picking up liquid oil instead of just vapors)... I just thought it would be a good time and place to set the record straight on what professional engine builders have told me....
BTW here is a very informative piece targeted toward bikes but none the less.... valid, and I thought quite easily understood.

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Jimmy:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread