03 Cobra vs Civic hatch... "outlook not so good"

ArmedSuspect

destroy everything
Established Member
A lot of butthurt in this thread by those not involved in the race itself. Way to represent folks.

I've got a couple of questions OP to help size the car up better. Windows wouldn't roll down? He running fixed Lexan instead of glass or what? What makes the car a "gutted drag car" that I'm seeing others post up? I see no detailed description of what was removed or any pics/vids of the cabin of the car.

K24 with a K20 cylinder head is easy N/A power. 280+ whp out of a K-series in N/A form is becoming more of the norm. Throwing some boost on a higher compression engine doesn't take rocket science to make 390 whp. Truth be known, it probably makes more depending on the blower type and fuel.

Good death IMO, but it's whatever.

i didn't want to pry and straight answers about the car are hard to get. a few of his friends tried telling me it was a 3,000lb car... hahahaha. i asked some guys that have been around it more than i have and i'm told he tried hard to make it look "stock" inside.

i really have no idea beyond what i saw when we ran. it's well known locally that civic is a "race car". E85, professionally tuned.

happens man, your reaction time makes me look like i'm in a pro class. spray your cobra on top of the pulley

yeah, my first time on a light wasn't a great showing.

spray isn't needed... *cough* TVS *cough*

Last edited:

Prototype007

Established Member
i didn't want to pry and straight answers about the car are hard to get. a few of his friends tried telling me it was a 3,000lb car... hahahaha. i asked some guys that have been around it more than i have and i'm told he tried hard to make it look "stock" inside.

i really have no idea beyond what i saw when we ran. it's well known locally that civic is a "race car". E85, professionally tuned.

I don't know how bad some terms are misused on your side of the mountain, but as soon as you mention a 4 banger on E85 and turbo/blower/spray in one sentence everyone screams "racecar" here.

Car will be under 3K in weight, unless he's packing some fatties and stereo equipment. My damn 95 Tercel weighed 2020 after ADDING all the turbo equipment to it and losing a spare tire and scissor jack (me not in the car).

Still going to guess the car is beyond the 390 whp mark.

zacmustang03

Established Member
yeah, my first time on a light wasn't a great showing.

spray isn't needed... *cough* TVS *cough*

ya man dont wait for the green if you have led tree you can literally break the brightness of the light down and leave right at the brightest point of the third yellow. pending on your car you may want to try earlier. takes some practice thats for sure.

ArmedSuspect

destroy everything
Established Member
ya man dont wait for the green if you have led tree you can literally break the brightness of the light down and leave right at the brightest point of the third yellow. pending on your car you may want to try earlier. takes some practice thats for sure.

this wasn't a drag strip (although I've never raced there either), this was a flashlight.

ArmedSuspect

destroy everything
Established Member
I don't know how bad some terms are misused on your side of the mountain, but as soon as you mention a 4 banger on E85 and turbo/blower/spray in one sentence everyone screams "racecar" here.

Car will be under 3K in weight, unless he's packing some fatties and stereo equipment. My damn 95 Tercel weighed 2020 after ADDING all the turbo equipment to it and losing a spare tire and scissor jack (me not in the car).

Still going to guess the car is beyond the 390 whp mark.

there is no doubt that car is around 2,000lbs. the damn things left the factory at under 2,300. some years of the hatch were almost down to 2,100.

we joke and call it a "race car" but honestly it's closer to that than our cars will ever be.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
A lot of butthurt in this thread by those not involved in the race itself. Way to represent folks.

I've got a couple of questions OP to help size the car up better. Windows wouldn't roll down? He running fixed Lexan instead of glass or what? What makes the car a "gutted drag car" that I'm seeing others post up? I see no detailed description of what was removed or any pics/vids of the cabin of the car.

K24 with a K20 cylinder head is easy N/A power. 280+ whp out of a K-series in N/A form is becoming more of the norm. Throwing some boost on a higher compression engine doesn't take rocket science to make 390 whp. Truth be known, it probably makes more depending on the blower type and fuel.

Good death IMO, but it's whatever.
Butt hurt? Get over yourself man. Nobody was in the race but the op, why would anyone else be butt hurt? Some of us just like to joke around and not take things too seriously. Should we all cheer for a Civic hatch back? lol You probably put more effort into your post than anyone else did.

Prototype007

Established Member
Butt hurt? Get over yourself man. Nobody was in the race but the op, why would anyone else be butt hurt? Some of us just like to joke around and not take things too seriously. Should we all cheer for a Civic hatch back? lol You probably put more effort into your post than anyone else did.

Yeah man, lots of effort involved. Obviously SVTP should cheer for the Civic, since that's obviously what the site is biased too...

Your reply reminds me of a desperate truefiveo trolling attempt. 0/10.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Yeah man, lots of effort involved. Obviously SVTP should cheer for the Civic, since that's obviously what the site is biased too...

Your reply reminds me of a desperate truefiveo trolling attempt. 0/10.
Why would I even try to troll you? Some of the posts were meant as jokes, don't take it so seriously. You seem more upset than anyone else.

MineralCobra

Established Member
That was a real good run. That hatch has to be under 2000lbs. I have seen civics race locally with that combanation with out the supercharger and they are fast. (they beat most street cars) End of the day its still a civic it will sound like a civic if it was a 8sec car its still a civic No thanks.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Good death OP. Still haven't got my hands on the video from the one I raced. I think those little bastards all hit delete as soon as I pulled lol

Duffman6

Established Member
Those hatches semi gutted are sumwhere near 2200 pounds specially the EG ones (i got lots of friends with em K-swapped) dont really like em but damn there quick.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I am butt hurt! Why? Because people that will race (civic owner) but won't tell you what's done to the car. Hell anyone asks me what's done to mine and I'm happy to tell them. I really don't understand why people want to hide what mods they've done to their car?

ArmedSuspect

destroy everything
Established Member
Nice kill op , that's a mean little civic.

although I didn't get a kill on this one... and my car literally died after the roll race, I'm sorting out a plan to punish this little rice rocket.

I did hear that if/when this car looses a street race, the owner is going to strip more weight and add more power. rumor mill says there's more power to be made out of his setup.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
the other week i managed to run into the "big dog" Civic in my area. we've been trying to get together for a few weeks and never seem to work it out. ALL of the local import guys wanted me to line up with this car, as he is the only one they say had a chance against the Cobra.

looking at the race on paper... numbers weren't on my side but i'm not a Pro Bench Racer so i decided to see what would happen.

taking a scenic drive up to Canada we found some open road to have a little fun.

first run was from a dig and boy did i get murdered. never before had i raced from a light and it clearly showed. Civic got out on me from go and i wasn't going to get it back. i accepted defeat and just let out.

second run was a 30 roll. i started in second and it was even for the first bit then he started pulling away.

that little car is fast as hell. much respect to the owner, builder, tuner, etc. i'm impressed with how well it runs. can't roll the windows down, no horn or anything but damn if it isn't fast!

somewhere in all of this i blew my FRPS and ended up setting on the side of the road for several hours until we could get the part from a friends car to get me home. don't know when it blew but after the roll race i drifted to a small gravel area and the car shut off... didn't restart.

getting info out of the owner about his car is next to impossible. he's a great dude and he will talk about anything and everything... EXCEPT his mods.

**speculation and rumors** gave me this:
curb weight under 2,300lbs
built K24 block
built K20 head
supercharged, 9psi
professional dyno tune
est. 390whp
drag radial (confirmed ;-))

i'm running ported, pullied with all the normal stuff and full weight... less spare tire / jack.

and because i'm not a sore looser: VIDEO BITCHES!!!

dig
[youtube_browser]x0DGus247A0[/youtube_browser]

roll
[youtube_browser]2Wa5Y1K1_fM[/youtube_browser]

1_1341827390.jpg

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
Unfortunately it does happen. Nevertheless, you never know until you race. Theres a turbo hatchback civic in my area, gutted so much it weighs 1900 lbs with the driver, and makes 700hp. Its basically a motor, steering wheel, and a seat: with wheels. It walks twin turbo vettes like they are segways :( I personally watched it annihilate a 750hp built supra.

Last edited:

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Unfortunately it does happen. Nevertheless, you never know until you race. Theres a turbo hatchback civic in my area, gutted so much it weighs 1900 lbs with the driver, and makes 700hp. Its basically a motor, steering wheel, and a seat: with wheels. It walks twin turbo vettes like they are segways :( I personally watched it annihilate a 750hp built supra.

But again driving a gutted car is not what most people are willing to do. I DON'T live my life a 1/4 mile at a time. They can keep their "wicked" fast gutted cars. At the end of the day nobody really cares...Most of us a street light jockeys and highway-pull demons....Believe me 90% of people don't know that your gutted car is fast and again nobody really cares...

Like I said before...this isn't Street Outlaws and we're not driving the 405.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Wish he was around here - there are a couple of local cars that would LOVE to have a civic run them from a dig. Seems around here the fastest imports are EVO's and they only roll race.

Users who are viewing this thread