03 Cobra vs Civic hatch... "outlook not so good"

ArmedSuspect

destroy everything
Established Member
the other week i managed to run into the "big dog" Civic in my area. we've been trying to get together for a few weeks and never seem to work it out. ALL of the local import guys wanted me to line up with this car, as he is the only one they say had a chance against the Cobra.

looking at the race on paper... numbers weren't on my side but i'm not a Pro Bench Racer so i decided to see what would happen.

taking a scenic drive up to Canada we found some open road to have a little fun.

first run was from a dig and boy did i get murdered. never before had i raced from a light and it clearly showed. Civic got out on me from go and i wasn't going to get it back. i accepted defeat and just let out.

second run was a 30 roll. i started in second and it was even for the first bit then he started pulling away.

that little car is fast as hell. much respect to the owner, builder, tuner, etc. i'm impressed with how well it runs. can't roll the windows down, no horn or anything but damn if it isn't fast!

somewhere in all of this i blew my FRPS and ended up setting on the side of the road for several hours until we could get the part from a friends car to get me home. don't know when it blew but after the roll race i drifted to a small gravel area and the car shut off... didn't restart.

getting info out of the owner about his car is next to impossible. he's a great dude and he will talk about anything and everything... EXCEPT his mods.

**speculation and rumors** gave me this:
curb weight under 2,300lbs
built K24 block
built K20 head
supercharged, 9psi
professional dyno tune
est. 390whp
drag radial (confirmed ;-))

i'm running ported, pullied with all the normal stuff and full weight... less spare tire / jack.

and because i'm not a sore looser: VIDEO BITCHES!!!

dig
[youtube_browser]x0DGus247A0[/youtube_browser]

roll
[youtube_browser]2Wa5Y1K1_fM[/youtube_browser]

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Your were asleep on the first one....civic with no horn and windows that won't go down? Enough said......He can keep his fast civic if that is what he has to do to make 390 FWHP fast....All go with absolutely zero show...he can keep it.....this isn't "Street Outlaws"....I'll drive around in A/C comfort or maybe even with my windows down....

sav03cobra

Established Member
It seems as if it's got ballz. But at the end of the day he's still driving a POS civic hatch that's sound like doo doo.

Good job OP for admitting defeat though.

justinr1001

Established Member
So an all out drag civic pulls 4 lengths on a bolt on cobra. Sounds about right. Good death. Supercharged/9 lbs of boost for 390 whp sounds like bullshit lol.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Well. First, run what you brung'... So you got beat, and at least you took it gracefully.

As for the comments on the condition of the Honda... Yeah, if he has the thing gutted to the point that he took out window motors, horn, and I am betting all sound equipment, sound deadening, seats, A/C, spare, window wipers, ect...

Do that to your Cobra and you would be doing to him what he did to you. Ofcourse then you would have to ask yourself why you just gutted your Cobra...

Whipple and E85 and keep your car in one piece :)

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Dammit mane!! But, I completely agree with Black Death. I'd rather lose a couple than put up that bs to be fast in what's probably a DD.

ArmedSuspect

destroy everything
Established Member
i've been daily driving my Cobra for a few weeks (weather has been decent), no way in hell i strip everything just for the sake of being a little faster... "better to be dead and cool, than alive and uncool". i'll stick to beating up BMWs, Corvettes, street driven imports, Camaros, Hellcats and whatever else i can find at a stop light.

i would switch to E85 except the closest station is 45 minutes away... and it's only 1 station!!! i'm not dedicated to "race car" enough that i'll drive an hour and a half for a tank of fuel. shit, i'm too lazy to use Torco.

matt87

Established Member
power to weight. still rather drive a cobra any day. why did you give him a 1/2 car lead on the roll race? looked like you needed the 1/2 car, not him.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Good death, it's not everyday you see a fwd car pull a rwd car from a dig.

IDC what you guys say I'd rather win than lose, I've never met anyone that likes losing. So if that means winning in a gutted car, so be it.

Mystic03

Established Member

IDC what you guys say I'd rather win than lose, I've never met anyone that likes losing. So if that means winning in a gutted car, so be it.

ya if i was a dedicated drag car i can see that but ill take my a/c full interior built 5.0 with a t76 street car anyday and VERY rarely lose on the street

Last edited:

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member

True, but turning on the AC and bumping the stereo while you cruise with your girl will help get over that real quick. With no passenger seat the only extracurricular that other dude might get is from a vacuum hose snaked under the drivers seat. That can't possibly be as good as the real thing.

hitmix300

Established Member
happens man, your reaction time makes me look like i'm in a pro class. spray your cobra on top of the pulley

Prototype007

Established Member
A lot of butthurt in this thread by those not involved in the race itself. Way to represent folks.

I've got a couple of questions OP to help size the car up better. Windows wouldn't roll down? He running fixed Lexan instead of glass or what? What makes the car a "gutted drag car" that I'm seeing others post up? I see no detailed description of what was removed or any pics/vids of the cabin of the car.

K24 with a K20 cylinder head is easy N/A power. 280+ whp out of a K-series in N/A form is becoming more of the norm. Throwing some boost on a higher compression engine doesn't take rocket science to make 390 whp. Truth be known, it probably makes more depending on the blower type and fuel.

Good death IMO, but it's whatever.

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
A lot of butthurt in this thread by those not involved in the race itself. Way to represent folks.

I've got a couple of questions OP to help size the car up better. Windows wouldn't roll down? He running fixed Lexan instead of glass or what? What makes the car a "gutted drag car" that I'm seeing others post up? I see no detailed description of what was removed or any pics/vids of the cabin of the car.

K24 with a K20 cylinder head is easy N/A power. 280+ whp out of a K-series in N/A form is becoming more of the norm. Throwing some boost on a higher compression engine doesn't take rocket science to make 390 whp. Truth be known, it probably makes more depending on the blower type and fuel.

Truth. K-series setups are no joke.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
True, but turning on the AC and bumping the stereo while you cruise with your girl will help get over that real quick. With no passenger seat the only extracurricular that other dude might get is from a vacuum hose snaked under the drivers seat. That can't possibly be as good as the real thing.

Lmao!!!

Mystic03

Established Member

butthurt? not really pointing out the obvious it is what it is..end of the day civic is just a tin car light as hell deadly from a roll or dig none the less...i ran a similar setup not too long ago the outcome was not surprising...lol i think he was puttin down the same power as op race

[youtube_browser]HLB5SvdSkoo[/youtube_browser]

Prototype007

Established Member
butthurt? not really pointing out the obvious it is what it is..end of the day civic is just a tin car light as hell deadly from a roll or dig none the less...i ran a similar setup not too long ago the outcome was not surprising...lol i think he was puttin down the same power as op race

[youtube_browser]HLB5SvdSkoo[/youtube_browser]

The replies show the hurting of the anus is strong in here. Still slinging the "it's nothing but a tin can" phrase, but what about the car is a tin can? Sounds like something a LS1 guy would say when his Z28 gets stomped by less power making Mustang.

I'm still not seeing anything posted about weight reduction, or missing a/c, of whatever else has been claimed thus far. That's why I asked the OP questions to size the car up better.

Here I thought the days of,"Oh Gawd a four banger beat a cobra, so it's obviously a stripped pro mod chassis" assumptions by the masses was over with on here. Guess not.

Users who are viewing this thread