03 Cobra vs. E55

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
So on my way home from work last night I make a left at the double light and notice I'm running parallel with an E55 (04 - 05). I look over and see a mid 30's guy and his young son in the back seat, he notices me as well. I watch him for a second an see him down shift and his car kick (from the trans catching). I know the road is 2 lanes which merges into 1 (on my side). I also know I can outrun his car without getting out of 3rd gear even if he got the jump. He hits it and I......
do nothing. Why?

A. having a kid in the car is dangerous and if I race it will push him to go faster
B. street racing is illegal (not that I'm a model citizen, but I love my job)
C. unkown unknowns (things that we don't know that we don't know)

Yes I could have crushed his will to live and embarrassed him in front of his kid, but so what. I knew it would merge and he might act a fool and possibly wreck trying to get over.

Moral of the story, situational awareness is your friend and try to think 5 minutes in front of your face.

Semper Fi.

03MUSCLE

03 MUSCLE
Established Member
5 mins in front of your face when your adrenaline is pumpin is hard to do....Ive fail on more than one occation. but Iam gettng better with age.

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
5 mins in front of your face when your adrenaline is pumpin is hard to do....Ive fail on more than one occation. but Iam gettng better with age.

Hey I completely understand that and admit that I have street raced many times out of the rush, but I was literally thinking about the thread that SVTburntout made when I saw that little kid in the back seat and realized what I was about to do.

Mikeyb619

Cobra Commander
Established Member
Yea something about racing with little kids doesn't sit well with me. The occasional small pull is ok but I'd never do it either if I saw a kid. Good call.

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
Pretty responsible.

Now all we have to do is get the mothers that are texting while driving a 6000 pound SUV full of kids off the roads, along with the mothers that like to take 10 shots of vodka, smoke a joint, and drive the wrong way for two miles down a busy highway.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
good call and responsible of you. i've had a few dummies try that shit when i'm with my lil guy. i've had the opposite where a jackass revvs and tailgates me with my son in the car. ****ing hate idiots like that, they see him in the back and then let off. not scared to run a "JDM" or whatever shit they call it now, just wait til i drop him off...meet you down the street in 5....

Common

Established Member
Those cars are beasts, not sure where you get your confidence of not needing to downshift from 3rd, unless you were doing 60mph+, in which case you couldnt and wouldnt need to downshift.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Lmao.....Hey Nate there are a couple of E55 that run lowwwww11s around here so be care full

Those cars are beasts, not sure where you get your confidence of not needing to downshift from 3rd, unless you were doing 60mph+, in which case you couldnt and wouldnt need to downshift.
Agreed these car's are beast and can be freaking fast. BUT they are not consistent stock, you have to change a couple of things (oil cooler being one of the first) otherwise expect the s/c to overheat fast. Anyways, I love those car's my friend owns one, im still debating of buying a 335i (JB3 :rockon:) or an E55....going to be a tough decision.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
For the record, a Pullied Cobra makes more RWHP and RWTQ, has a better powerband, and weighs less.

E55's have run AT BEST HIGH 11's STOCK. Pullied Cobras are easily capable of mid 11's with some good driving.

No reason to call BS or make it seem like an E55 will walk a Cobra.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
For the record, a Pullied Cobra makes more RWHP and RWTQ, has a better powerband, and weighs less.

E55's have run AT BEST HIGH 11's STOCK. Pullied Cobras are easily capable of mid 11's with some good driving.

No reason to call BS or make it seem like an E55 will walk a Cobra.
You said good driving, leaving it in 3rd while driving below 50 mph (O.P said road and not highway) is not good driving. :read: O.P couldve easily beaten the E55 but he chose not too but if he thought he couldve smoked him in 3rd on low speeds he is wrong.

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
Would have been close even with the car seat and the youngster yelling to his Dad, "kick his ass"!

See I didn't think so because when I raced the one on 66 we both had 1 pass and I won by about 3.5/4 lengths at around 152mph. You remember this story because I told it to you and you said "that sounds about right"

Now had this been your car it certainly would have been a different story.

That was before the h/c and gear.

Just curious how you know this?

Good job on being responsible, that is hard to do when two beasts are about to throw down!

Tyler

I know this from experience racing one of these cars. I out ran one with less power than I have now.

Lmao.....Hey Nate there are a couple of E55 that run lowwwww11s around here so be care full

Tory I have always said that I had the slowest cobra that came out of the shop and the first time I ever drove my car with 2.8 upper only, c/a exhaust and a tune my car ran 11.8 (the day we went to MIR, Dave crushed his diff). That is neither fast nor horrible (probably average) but faster than a stock E. This was before Chris put the h/c and gear in.
In no way do I think my car is quick or fast, but this car was stock or it was stock quiet.

Last edited:

redfire03 svt

Established Member
Op_ what mods do you have? Odds are, you are a pullied cobra at best and you racing a stock e55 on the street would have ass raped you. How do I know this, because I just sold my 04 stage 2 e55 amg. Before that car I have had 4 terminators. Bolt on terminators with drags on the street will have a tough time beatig a bone stock e55. I have raced both cars on opposite sides of the coin, and if the cobra owner is not an exceptional driver on the street, he will be playing catchup. Now if that e55 had a pulley and tune, then that is more of a match for a twin screw cobra.

Ask almo, who to date has one of the fastest non ported non sprayed terminator 1/4 times and also owns an e55. I am not trying to bust your balls but when you make silly comments like that when you obviously know nothing about an e55, you will be called out.

Users who are viewing this thread