'03 Lost Spark on Driver's Side

SuperG

Established Member
An update to a previous thread I had on my Terminator...One day I started the Cobra and it ran terrible. I pulled the plugs and apparently the passenger side plugs are doing fine, but the driver's side were very black and wet.

So last night I replaced all the plugs with new NGK TR6's and ran the car for 10 minutes, hoping it would warm up and run fine...unfortunately, it never did and ran exactly as before. I then pulled the driver's side plugs and here is what they look like:

2183045_51_full.jpg

The plugs are layed out left to right = same position as when facing the driver's side bank. Notice how the second plug is fine? The first one also appears to be firing, but is a little wet. The last two look exactly like the old plugs.

Today, I'll check the passenger side and also check for any engine codes, eventhough the CEL is not lit.

Can I test the individual wires and coils by running the engine, pulling the coil and getting it near the engine block to see if the blue spark emits?

I was also thinking of taking one coil off and switching it to the other side to see if that helps establish whether the coil is good or not. Of course, the plug wires may also need to be replaced.

I'll also check the fuel injectors...Any other tips are greatly appreciated!

BTW, on the way over to O's to get the spark plugs, the alternator on my '97 crapped out! Therefore I have decided that when I buy stocks and mutual funds, I'll let everyone know so you have the opportunity to sell right away!

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
That's about the only thing it could be. What are those plugs gapped at? For some reason it looks like about .040".

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
I thought that was a little on the big side but I might be wrong. I think either .034 or .032 might work better.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
i was and kinda still am having the same issues

HomeboyNorm

Established Member
Curious..

Bad coils = wet and black brand new plugs without even a drive on them?

Is it not the oil blow by for all that blackness?

I can understand the wet part with all that unignited fuel in cylinders, but what about the black oily residue?

Last edited by a moderator:

SuperG

Established Member
Curious..

Bad coils = wet and black brand new plugs without even a drive on them?

Is it not the oil blow by for all that blackness?

I can understand the wet part with all that unignited fuel in cylinders, but what about the black oily residue?

That does have me concerned, however right up to that point I wasn't burning any oil...

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
How'd it get wet? I had the same problem and it was because mine were wet and it was on the driver side. 2 of my coil on plugs were wet and it ran like crap. Dry the coils out that are wet and make sure that there is NO water on the spark plugs and cop's. After its all dried out then try and see how it runs. I dried mine out and the car ran fine. I got mine wet by washing my engine and water must have some how seeped down in there and it was not much at all!

NFCstang

I probably don't like you
Established Member
How'd it get wet? I had the same problem and it was because mine were wet and it was on the driver side. 2 of my coil on plugs were wet and it ran like crap. Dry the coils out that are wet and make sure that there is NO water on the spark plugs and cop's. After its all dried out then try and see how it runs. I dried mine out and the car ran fine. I got mine wet by washing my engine and water must have some how seeped down in there and it was not much at all!

x2

SuperG

Established Member
OK...finally read the codes - P0193 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit High Input (FRP)

A descriptive:
The comprehensive component monitor (CCM) monitors the FRP sensor circuit to the PCM for high voltage. If voltage were to fall below a calibrated limit and a calibrated amount of time during testing, the test will fail. FRP signal shorted to VREF or VPWR.
FRP signal open (gasoline only)
Low fuel pressure (NG only)
Damaged FRP sensor.
Damaged PCM.
High fuel pressure (caused by damaged fuel pressure regulator) NG.
A FRP PID value during KOER or KOEO less than 0.3 volts for gasoline or 0.5 volts for natural gas vehicles (NG) would indicate a hard fault.

Has anyone dealt with this? I have to still refer to the DVD to even find the sensor...

Last edited:

SuperG

Established Member
I replaced the FRPS ($80 from Ford) and cleared the code...it seems to run the same, however, so I wonder if I need to replce the brand new spark plugs that now look as bad as the previous ones?

Also, I am going to let it warm up a bit and take it on a drive...if the same problem exists, when should the code come back on?

I wonder if the cats are gas soaked now, too...anyway to tell?

Dirk

Established Member
Switch the coils to the passanger side and see what happens.

If you still have the problem on the driver side someting else is wrong.

SuperG

Established Member
Thanks...apparaently there is a simple multi-tester test we can do on the coils...I'll look it up today on the service DVD and let you know how it comes out.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Seems weird to have more than one COP go out on just the one side of the engine. Are you certain that the wetness is just gas or might there be oil or coolant getting into the combustion chambers?

Users who are viewing this thread