03 Pistons and Rods

HIGH ROLLER

Established Member
I have a friend that has a 96 Cobra with a Vortech installed and wants to know will the 03 rods and pistons work on this car and be balanced properly? Thanks!

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Why all of a sudden does everyone think the aluminum block is so weak? They have taken the aluminum block well over 1000 hp...

And I'm sure his buddy isn't going to be going over that.

HIGH ROLLER

Established Member
Thanks guys for the responses i am sure he will appreciate it! His car now makes 9 pounds of boost and has ran 11.94@115 with it so far.

jo2fst4u

Established Member
What about getting a set of 03 Cobra heads? would they be worth anything on a supercharged snake with a vortech s trim. I know where i can get a set would they go on my 96?

Thanks

Dino S.

Established Member
stick with what you got. The Iron block may or may not be stronger, but if it is, i'd say the differencce is marginal at best. One thing the iron block does do is weigh the front end of your car down considerably. Stick with the aluminum block.... As far as 03 pistons and rods, you'll pay a premium cause they're "2003 Cobra internals". You're better off buying pistons from JE, SRP, Arias, or others, cause the truth is the 03 internals are indeed forged, but basically near the bottom of the line quality wise. The rods are H-beam, which is good, but there is probably better out there for comparable prices. As far as the heads, i'm pretty sure you would have problems with finding an intake to fit, and the difference is not enough to warrant the fabrication required... The 96-98 heads flow GREAT for most applications, but if you're really ancy, get a mild port job done.

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
Originally posted by Booyah
Why all of a sudden does everyone think the aluminum block is so weak? They have taken the aluminum block well over 1000 hp...

And I'm sure his buddy isn't going to be going over that.

I hear ya....I still think the Alum. block is better IMHO...:shrug:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
The aluminum block isn't weak, it is just that Ford wanted to be as bullet proof as possible so they wouldn't have to pay for warranty service later. They went with the Iron block for the same reasons that they went with Forged internals. Longevity. The iron block also holds in heat and is able to make more horsepower than the Aluminum block, but this is sometimes offset by the weight advantage of the Aluminum block. As long as you keep out detonation, and uses some good thought about the amount of boost you use, then the lower compression ratio of the 03 pistons should keep you safe. Usea a good boost gage, and try to keep it at a good number. With the Comp ratio of the 03 pistons you could probably run as much as 12-15 pounds with no problems, but just to be safe I would keep it around 9-10 pounds.
Free up you exhaust as much as you can, it will drop the boost pressure, but you will be moving the same amount of air, then Jack the boost back up to optimal levels.

love bandit2

Established Member
Originally posted by Hissman
The aluminum block isn't weak, it is just that Ford wanted to be as bullet proof as possible so they wouldn't have to pay for warranty service later. They went with the Iron block for the same reasons that they went with Forged internals. Longevity. The iron block also holds in heat and is able to make more horsepower than the Aluminum block, but this is sometimes offset by the weight advantage of the Aluminum block. As long as you keep out detonation, and uses some good thought about the amount of boost you use, then the lower compression ratio of the 03 pistons should keep you safe. Usea a good boost gage, and try to keep it at a good number. With the Comp ratio of the 03 pistons you could probably run as much as 12-15 pounds with no problems, but just to be safe I would keep it around 9-10 pounds.
Free up you exhaust as much as you can, it will drop the boost pressure, but you will be moving the same amount of air, then Jack the boost back up to optimal levels.

Or because the supercharged Jaguar DOHC 4.6 is aluminum, and they wanted a key difference between the two, to please the buyers of the more upscale jaguar.

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
Everyone and there brother knows it was done to keep cost down...The Aluminum block is better quality...Just look at what is being used in the NMRA....Oh,and the 03's block is almost the same as th GT's....

Users who are viewing this thread