04 cobra 3.27 gears?

termipowa

Established Member
cool i have been thinking of 295/45r17 m/t r2 compound seems thats the way to go. I was just thinking the optimal gear for my power level would be 3.27 and a 28in puts me going through the traps at 6300 to 6500 in third. This is by the speed gear ratio calculator. The highest trap my car has made was 124 and 6500 would be 127. Just throwing my theory around so yall didnt think i was crazy for wanting to take gear out.

termipowa

Established Member
Supposed to get those control arms on today so i can go to Carolina Dragway tomorrow night. So i can see if they help my 60ft.

termipowa

Established Member
Just thinking i may get 126 127 with out that extra shift and being so low in the powerband after my 3rd to 4th shift. What do you guys think?

rattle_snake

Smoke 'em if you got 'em
Established Member
The difference between 3.55 and 3.27 gearing is only -7.8%. For the money a set a drag radials will work better for traction issues. I can hook 1st gear on MT ET DRs.

What pressure do you run r888s at?

cj428mach

Established Member
I swear my two cobras must be the weakest twin screw cobras on the planet. Both of them could hook second gear 90% of the time with a 315/35/17 555R unless it was really cold out. Now that I'm e85 traction is tougher in second but not impossible once everything is warmed up.

termipowa

Established Member
slip.jpg Only pass second hooked up well on. Backhalf mph was terrible. How reliable is the speedo cars well in the mid 120s when im approaching the cones not sure whats going on. I was trapping 120 121 before the 4lb lower.

ttk53

Established Member
Get a dedicated track wheel I have more power and run 3.73's no problem with et streets or qtp's Now I have the 3053s full slicks.

And you need drive mod if you can't get under 2.0 60's on street tires. rollingout off idle would be better.

termipowa

Established Member
ive cut multiple 1.9s? coming off at idle is fine but as soon as it gets some rpm bye tires having to short shift second still spinning ease off so i will hook up then it goes. Maybe im a shitty driver.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
I would invest in better tires. When my mickeys were brand new, they hooked first gear in my friend e85 2.3 whipple cobra putting down 650+rwhp.

termipowa

Established Member
I'm sure it's not perfect shadow didn't have a pinion angle tool measured the eyelets on the takeoff and match the upr

Zemedici

Established Member
you're leaving off idle? Just sidestepping the clutch?

Also you should pick up 30 on the back half.

termipowa

Established Member
I'm leaving at about 12 to 1400 let it slip in then as it hooks up I throttle it. But I have to feather the gas so much with these tired. I'm gonna bolt the slicks on and hope I'm not another person looking for a 26 spline imput shaft.

Christianmiller456

Established Member
I'm leaving at about 12 to 1400 let it slip in then as it hooks up I throttle it. But I have to feather the gas so much with these tired. I'm gonna bolt the slicks on and hope I'm not another person looking for a 26 spline imput shaft.
Hey termipowa, did you ever get your traction issues worked out? Im in the same boat with the same tires, R888's, im putting down a little more than 500rwhp but I havent gotten to feel any of it cause I break the tires loose as soon as I hit boost..... gonna be lookomg into some MT ET streets in a few weeks... but any help would be appreciated, im also looking into some lesser gears as well, im currently running a 3.90... i just got the car a week ago and havent gotten to have any fun in it yet lol.

keith89

Established Member
Definitely stick with 3.55's or go 3.27. I was convinced to go 3.73's and regret it. I should have stuck with stock or gone 3.27. Tracion issues and rpms at cruising speed went up.

Christianmiller456

Established Member
Definitely stick with 3.55's or go 3.27. I was convinced to go 3.73's and regret it. I should have stuck with stock or gone 3.27. Tracion issues and rpms at cruising speed went up.
Thank you so much keith89! I was thinking the same thing, either Im getting a 3.55 or a 3.27, anything steeper I believe belongs in a GT with 300hp. I live in Ga as well and I still cant get these r888 to stick. Really need a driver mod too lol, I'm used to GM stuff, vettes stick to the road and the power is controllable, Cobras are a different animal! All their power hits at once lol! And they sound so much better!!!!

Soap

Established Member
Hey termipowa, did you ever get your traction issues worked out? Im in the same boat with the same tires, R888's, im putting down a little more than 500rwhp but I havent gotten to feel any of it cause I break the tires loose as soon as I hit boost..... gonna be lookomg into some MT ET streets in a few weeks... but any help would be appreciated, im also looking into some lesser gears as well, im currently running a 3.90... i just got the car a week ago and havent gotten to have any fun in it yet lol.

This thread is 3.5 years old and "termipowa" hasn't even been on the website in over a year. So I wouldn't expect a reply anytime soon from him.

--Joe

Christianmiller456

Established Member
Yeah I did notice that it was an older thread but couldnt hurt to ask lol. I was just looking for some info on traction issues anyway and keith helped me out there! I appreciate it Joe... would yall happen to know why MT says that the ET streets cant be used on a dyno lol?

Users who are viewing this thread