04 Cobra electrical short

hotcobra03

Established Member
Home

Here is main link for manuals

The full version only works on a pc and is a must to have and for wiring it goes more into detail on everything

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Following this, busy as all get out currently but hopefully you get this sorted quick. Give an update when you can but if that ground cable is sufficiently sized it should never get hot, if it does then look for any loose connections. If none are found look for any electrical tape, hard kinks or damage. If the ground cable (or the + side for that matter) is damaged, undersized or not making a good connection it will start to get hot and eventually burn up.

My car I think had a trunk battery previous to me owning it and a hack job done to rewire it to the front, cut grounds straps all over the place and wire repairs done with electrical tape. Please be thorough and go through your battery wiring, hot side and ground.

Last edited:

04 Black Betty

Established Member
I was able to pin point the draw to the radio/amp. I pulled those fuses and my one issue of having a current draw I believe is figured out. I am still having the issue of the negative cable going to the battery getting very warm when car is running, almost immediately after start up. The alternator shows it charging at around 14.2 volts. The car runs fine and starts fine. The one thing I notice is sitting in the car while its running at idle I notice the dome light fluctuate slightly, almost like mini power surges. So my thought is pulling alternator and having it tested. Is there anything else associated with this that I could check?

Last edited:

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Maybe that battery wire is poorly grounded. It needs to be IN the frame of the car. Not the thin metal, but the actual frame.

04 Black Betty

Established Member
Maybe that battery wire is poorly grounded. It needs to be IN the frame of the car. Not the thin metal, but the actual frame.
I think Im missing some locations of ground wires. The negative wire to battery goes right to engine mount on drivers side. There are other ground wires on radiator support. Those are all in good shape. No rot or corrosion

Users who are viewing this thread