04 Cobra traction control

Deltsig

Established Member
I just had a McCloud twin disc clutch installed and now my traction control will not turn on or off. I've searched forum and couldnt find any suggestions. The shop that installed it is far away and I would like to try to resolve myself versus bringing it back in. Any suggestions on what to look for would be appreciated.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
What do you mean it won't turn off or on? Like the light on the button always stays on? Is the ABS light on as well? The shop shouldn't have touched anything to do with ABS or traction control. Unless they accidentally snagged one of the ABS wires and broke it.

Did you have a tune loaded while the car was there?

Deltsig

Established Member
Light wont turn on or off on the button and dash. Worked fine before the clutch was installed. Had a tune prior to the service being done. I didnt look to see if ABS light is on.

Deltsig

Established Member
Thank you ! I will try that. I'm not a huge fan of this rxt clutch. Hopefully it gets better during the break in process.

Deltsig

Established Member
Disengagement point is pretty high. Gears feel more "notchy". Love how much lighter the pedal is though !!

cobracide

Established Member
Disengagement point is pretty high. Gears feel more "notchy". Love how much lighter the pedal is though !!
These are adjustment issues, not clutch design issues. Firewall adjust for the "notchy" feel. An adjustable pivot ball to change the engagement. I believe you need to shorten the pivot ball for a lower engagement height.

Last edited:

Deltsig

Established Member
Well I guess I'm going to just bring it back in to shop and address it with them. They did install the Steeda quadrant, so i'm assuming that is where the adjustment can be made ? I'm not to savvy in the mechanical world.

Deltsig

Established Member
These are adjustment issues, not clutch design issues. Firewall adjust for the "notchy" feel. An adjustable pivot ball to change the engagement. I believe you need to shorten the pivot ball for a lower engagement height.
Does trans need to be dropped again for this ?

cobracide

Established Member
There should be a small amount of slack in the firewall adjuster. ie. a gap between the cable stop and the adjuster of about a dime thickness. If you feel so inclined to turn the firewall adjuster - you could set that.

Deltsig

Established Member
Well I have it in the shop now and everything is hooked up the way it is suppossed to be. They just called and asked if I had a tune, which it has the diablo tune and need to bring the tuner to them. As far as the disengagement point being so high with the steeda quadrant he said I would need to change the pivot ball and would need a shorter one for the pedal to engage lower to the floor. Are people using the mcloud 16912 adjustable ball stud or the mcloud 16909 to eliminate clutch engaging all the way at the top ? I dont want to have the drop the trans and have same outcome. The clutch cable is adjusted as far as it can go. I believe the factory pivot stud is 2.25" and the 16912 mcloud pivot is 2". Will that quarter inch make a noticeable difference ?

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
just to be clear on the traction control button - the default is traction control being on - this means the light on the switch is off. If you turn traction control off, the button should light up. The button will light up and stay lit if it is either disabled by default in the tune or there is an issue in the ABS system - which can include the abs wheel speed sensors or ABS module itself.

I cant remember if any of the sensors on the trans are involved.

If your traction control button is NOT lit and will not light I would use a test light or volt meter to see if gets power or not and something is just wrong with the bulb/switch.

I cant think of a scenario off hand that would force the traction control to be stuck on (light is off)

promotion powertrain has a video on using the firewall adjuster properly

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
just to be clear on the traction control button - the default is traction control being on - this means the light on the switch is off. If you turn traction control off, the button should light up. The button will light up and stay lit if it is either disabled by default in the tune or there is an issue in the ABS system - which can include the abs wheel speed sensors or ABS module itself.

I cant remember if any of the sensors on the trans are involved.

If your traction control button is NOT lit and will not light I would use a test light or volt meter to see if gets power or not and something is just wrong with the bulb/switch.

I cant think of a scenario off hand that would force the traction control to be stuck on (light is off)

promotion powertrain has a video on using the firewall adjuster properly
The traction control doesn't have any connection with the transmission. If the ABS is out for any reason the traction control defaults to off. Had that when I first bought my 04.

Deltsig

Established Member
Ok- so here is the update. He used the 2.25" pivot ball for the clutch fork. He is going to put in the #16912 - 2" pivot ball so the pedal is not all the way at the top. I had a diablo custom tune in the car before the work was done. Traction control light was always on - which means TC was always off. They are saying that I need to get my ECU reflashed as the custom tune is not appearing on the diablo predator handheld. I unfortunately don't have the file as the previous owner didnt have it either. Does this make sense ? This doesnt make sense to me that having a battery out for a period of time would eliminate everything? I also thought custom tunes stayed on the handheld. Unfortunately I live in West Michigan and I'm not seeing Diablo custom tuners in the area. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is so frustrating as the car was perfect when I brought it in - except for the bad throwout bearing. Mods done - KB bap, stigemeir stage 7 port, upper pulley, JLT Cai, 3" bassani catless exhaust with x pipe, and 3:73 gear.

Users who are viewing this thread