04 vert vs 02 gt and than sti

mystcobra04

Established Member
So me and my son in law were crusing down the hyw in eastern wash. he has a 02 gt must with cai, 3inch exh, and tune. car sound really good and runs well. I have a 04 cobra vert 2.8 pully, cai, 2.5 exh minus cat. with diabols Itune. So he wants to know how it will do, i know as he know he has no chance. I'm in 4th at 55 he is in 3rd and three honks and were off. I know you all are going to say why i was in 4th will mercy kill. He jump a car lenght on me but when i hit that sweet spot 3500rpm the cobra came alive and i was gone, I mean carsss lenghts. But than something happen, i didn't notice but behind us was a Subra STI 2010, I know the car and the dude, we been trash talking for the last 3 three months. Now I going to tell you I been running from him, I seen this STI run and its a beast. So screw it! I lets do it, i gave him the vampire look over the left arm look, and at 40mph I'm in 2nd not playing game now. Three honks and were off neck to neck with him at a 3/4 car lenght on me, i hit 3rd and that sweek spot and I'm pulled on him with 3/4 lenght. I shut down at 128mph got to say i was shock too. So he cried for a second run. I this time got the jump and keep it +1 car lenght. we pull over the next overpass and talk a bit he was mortally supprised he lost. My son in law was grining ear to ear and now wants a cobra, Hmmmm! i don't know on that. Now i like the Subra STI but i love my COBRA MORE. I will be dyno and map this Jan, i'm think i should net around 440whp on her, will up date.

intermatic

Established Member
Nice subaru kill OP. Did he tell you what his mods were or how much boost he was pushing?
Before I bought my cobra off of my brother, I had an 04 gt with just bolt-ons. I ran my brother in the cobra, which at the time was a pullied eaton (475 on a dynojet) and got walked just like that. I knew what I was getting into before hand but we both wanted to run them just to see HOW bad lol.

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Nice kill! I use to live not too far away in pasco. I still go and visit from time to time and every time I wanna take the cobra up there. I would get in so much trouble up there with it if I did. Nice wide long stretches of road everywhere..

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
What made you say the subi is a beast OP? What is it trapping in the 1/4? Judging by the length you put on the subi it was/is a 12sec car @ 108ish (just a guestimation).

Speedboosted

Established Member
What made you say the subi is a beast OP? What is it trapping in the 1/4? Judging by the length you put on the subi it was/is a 12sec car @ 108ish (just a guestimation).

Maybe he meant it was a beast compared to the 2v he just raced lol. I think if he only had 1 car length on him from a roll to about 130, the STI probably traps closer to 112 or so. What does a pulley only cobra trap? I don't know if I've ever heard of one so close to stock like that haha

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
Maybe he meant it was a beast compared to the 2v he just raced lol. I think if he only had 1 car length on him from a roll to about 130, the STI probably traps closer to 112 or so. What does a pulley only cobra trap? I don't know if I've ever heard of one so close to stock like that haha
Well a pullied cobra could be one of 3-4 pullies. 2.9, 2.8, 2.76, 2.6. That could lead to a 115ish trapping cobra, all the way up to a 125(ish)mph trapping. I'm talking full weight of course. Pulley, tune, intake being the only mods.

Speedboosted

Established Member
Well a pullied cobra could be one of 3-4 pullies. 2.9, 2.8, 2.76, 2.6. That could lead to a 115ish trapping cobra, all the way up to a 125(ish)mph trapping. I'm talking full weight of course. Pulley, tune, intake being the only mods.

I a 2.6 pulley and intake cobra could trap 125? That's quite a bit more than I was expecting! There was one, intake/tune/pulley down at my track that was trapping around 115. I think he said it was the 2.76 pulley.

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
I a 2.6 pulley and intake cobra could trap 125? That's quite a bit more than I was expecting! There was one, intake/tune/pulley down at my track that was trapping around 115. I think he said it was the 2.76 pulley.
Depends on their setup though. I'm sure you've seen cars in person and on YouTube trap 120 and only do a 12.2 or something like that. 125-128 is a mid 11 car and the cobra has no problem pulling that off without weight reduction. DR or slicks will get the car there.

mystcobra04

Established Member
sorry for the late entry, was working in Boise this week, first of all seen this sti run at Renegade race way in Wapato Wa. and it ran easy mid 12 sec. trying to get information on his car, well the guy thinks he has a top secert projected. talking to his brother, he said; he runs about 19 Boost with a 70mm turbo. I don't know what he was dial in at the time of the race but he didn't want to go again, and was amazed i took him. maybe I'm a little to cautious on my cobra on what it can do. I've own it for 2 yrs and learning more every day on its capability, I do know its one of the most feared car on the road. will see a rematch this spring I'm sure. but i will have a little suprise for him too. LOL

WGPpaintball118

Cadillac Magnet
Established Member
Nice kills!

His brother is full of crap if he thinks that car has a 70mm on it and is only running mid 12s. I could have done that in my 2008 Evo with bolt ons, E85, and a conservative tune. The engine in that body style STi is junk too. A friend of mine broke the ringland on cylinder 4 on two separate engines with, CAI, downpipe, stock cats, and a tune. Unless that car is built, it has no business with anything bigger than a stock turbo and fuel system.

It is prolly a bolt on car with a Front mount intercooler and maybe on E85.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member

You meant ported/pullied right? I don't think I've ever seen a full weight pulley only Cobra trap 125.

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
You meant ported/pullied right? I don't think I've ever seen a full weight pulley only Cobra trap 125.
Yes they have my good sir. YouTube is your friend. 125 is usually a mid 11 sec car. Can also be 11.4-11.2 depending on DA and other things of course

Edit- on a tire also

Last edited:

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
OP, alot of straight open highway out there in your part of WA...great area for racing and beautiful country, IMO.

Just to be a smartass...are sure you shut down at 128 MPH or was it 129?

mystcobra04

Established Member
that's funny, in my defense i didn't have my readers on so it could have been 160 lol. update on that super secret STI, well a friend of another friend said its stock with a couple mod and tuner. no i know why he didn't want a re-run. Hmmmm! he talks a good race got me, but I got the win and the bragging rights.

Rios302

Established Member
Once you make it about quarter mile times and numbers is not as fun on the streets. Anyways nice kill for the Cobra, specially given that STI guy was convinced he was going to win.

Users who are viewing this thread