04 when Filling up with gas the pump keeps shutting off

jo2fst4u

Established Member
Where is the vent on these (2004) when I fill it takes forever as it keeps stopping and spilling out...what do i need to fix or clear?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
All nozzles, or just a particular station?

Try turning the pump handle upside down and filling that way.

BADBOYSVT

Established Member
Sound like some pressure problem inside the tank . Forgot that unit call

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
If you have a way to data log fill up with the key on and watch FTP (Fuel Tank PSI Transducer). I believe they read about 2.5V ambient with no pressure or vacuum with gas cap removed. If the voltage spikes or blips closer to 5V when the gas pump is shutting off then there is a restriction in the EVAP system, charcoal canister, canister vent, spiders nest in the vent tube, etc. If the voltage doesn't move at all when this occurs then it is a flow issue/restriction in the filler neck/foreign debris, etc.

Really no guess work or parts replacement without looking at these measurements. Bring a friend with you to pump or watch if that makes it easier.

TC

BADBOYSVT

Established Member
All nozzles, or just a particular station?

Try turning the pump handle upside down and filling that way.
May I ask why fill with handle up side down ?

I ask because I have this problem with my other cars . Every gas station I pump . The pump will shut off after every few second , filling up that cars take a very long time , then other day I fill with handle upside down and it fill up without shutting it off . I wish I knew this tips many years ago . Thanks for the tips

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

I ask because I have this problem with my other cars . Every gas station I pump . The pump will shut off after every few second , filling up that cars take a very long time , then other day I fill with handle upside down and it fill up without shutting it off . I wish I knew this tips many years ago . Thanks for the tips

It has something to do with the fumes coming back up the fill neck and making the nozzle think the tank is full.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member

It has something to do with the fumes coming back up the fill neck and making the nozzle think the tank is full.

Yea that's a safety feature on all pumps

Users who are viewing this thread