05 COBRA what do want under the HOOD? POLL!!!

WHAT ENGINE SHOULD BE PUT UNDER THE HOOD OF THE 2005 COBRA?

• Current 03 Cobra engine with small power increase 400hp?

Votes: 65 7.7%
  • The newly developed 2005 GT Engine N/A 400hp?

Votes: 78 9.2%
  • THE GT40 engine with 500hp?

Votes: 287 34.0%
  • 2000 COBRA R 5.4 DOHC With BLOWER?

Votes: 419 49.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

jshen

Established Member
Formula51

BET IS ON! This isn't a road race car...It's a muscle car...Two completely different cars. The SVT is a muscle car with some handling capabilities....but nonetheless a straightline performer....where 90% of the buyers want to be. The Ford GT will take on the road race group...but I like the Svt for what it isn't.....a "look at me- I look cool...Kiss my butt" car. The SVT is down to earth....and a kick ass sleeper........

Formula51

Established Member
A SVT Mustang Cobra is a high-end Pony Car. A car bred to race on ROAD COURSES!

In my opinion and I'm sure many others, a Mustang GT, Cobra, etc is and was a pony/sports car, NOT a muscle car. The car competed in the Trans Am series and was ALWAYS a road race car.

A lot of people seam to look at a Mustang today as a drag car, and while it is very capable, the car has been a road racer throughout history, shoot you only have to go as far back as the 2000 Cobra R. This car was made to go left and right, not straight.

A Cobra that gets back to its road racing roots would be awesome, but it seams like so many people today would rather buy the car if it had a solid axle, 600hp and weighed 3800lbs. As opposed to 450hp, IRS, big brakes, finely tuned suspension and weighed 3300lbs.

Dont get me wrong, the 03/04 Cobra handled pretty well, but a better balanced car with some enhanced suspension and light weight would definitely get me drooling. I just hope it looks a lot different than the 05' Mustang GT because I dont care for the way it looks.

Formula51

Established Member
"The SVT is down to earth....and a kick ass sleeper........"

The SVT is absolutely, 100%, positively, with out a doubt NOT a sleeper. Dont let the spoiler, wheels, front bumper, hood, and the big letters on the rear bumper that say COBRA fool you. Not to mention the SC whine.

Raven

Shut Up and Hold On
Established Member
The new (2007) Cobra will have at least as much HP as the ZO6 - bet on it. So I'm sure we're looking at 425 or more.

How they get there (blown or N/A) is really irrelevant as long as it's got sufficient low end torque and the cahones to at least run with the big gun Vette and be respectable against the Viper.

I'm betting on at least 425 blown hp, using a block we haven't seen yet in the Mustang and not necessarily the 5.4.

Formula51

Established Member
If it has 425hp it woulnt even have AS MUCH horsepower as the ZO6. It was already confirmed by Bob Lutz months ago that the ZO6 goal is 500hp and they will do whatever they can to achieve that. So the next Cobra would have to have atleast 500hp. However, this number is probably more like ATLEAST 550hp as the Cobra will probably weigh about 500lbs more than the ZO6 (surmised weight approx. 3000lbs). The C5 ZO6's were very close and in the hands of the right driver could best a Viper. I would not be surprised if the light weight ZO6 is capable or beating the Viper. And I fully expect it to beat it in handling and braking.

I hope the 2007 SVT Mustang gets an all aluminum 5.4 with 450hp naturally aspirated, with a forged crank and hyper pistions so the cost remains under the Vette by a decent margin. Hoping for 38-40k. The better balance and weight savings (they will need to shed some more weight though) should make the next SVT Mustang able to compete with a C6 Vette in handling and braking, while costing less. It should also put its quarter mile times between that of the C6 and ZO6.

Last edited:

Fuerza

Established Member
Whiskey city, you've said you read ford internal docs:rollseyes come on you except me to buy that? Show me some proof.

I'm sticking to my guns, I see an 4.6 3v engine w/ forged internals and 425- 430hp, with equal torque, forced induction with a whipple blower, IRS suspensioin, 6 speed transmission priced around 40k.

Last edited:

jwfisher

Banned
I don't want to see a Cobra for 2005 - so my vote is NOTHING.

I do want to see on for 2007 - IF and only IF SVE's engineering and testing are world class for a change.

No cylinder head casting issues, no compromised rear suspension, no compromise GT engine block-adapted-for-Cobra, and especially no lousy job of engineering the cooling of the car.

SVT is great for a lot of hype... but the car has to be built with a lot more quality next time out.

blacksnake04

Need for Speed
Established Member
I'll stick with the 03/04 thanks. Price will go nowhere but up. Why doesn't Ford do like GM (Z06) and produce a lower weight Mustang with the Cobra?

That said, I'd expect to see between 400hp and 450hp stock. No telling what will be under the hood. It will still lag behind the Viper, Z06 and possibly even a stock Vette given power to weight.

My .02.

crazyhorse06

Established Member
blacksnake04 said:
I'll stick with the 03/04 thanks. Price will go nowhere but up. Why doesn't Ford do like GM (Z06) and produce a lower weight Mustang with the Cobra?

That said, I'd expect to see between 400hp and 450hp stock. No telling what will be under the hood. It will still lag behind the Viper, Z06 and possibly even a stock Vette given power to weight.

My .02.
I think the price would go up even more with light weight offerings than bigger engine offerings. Aluminum frames and carbon fiber parts and engineering would cost a lot more to develop. The Ford GT motor is already developed.

elais

Get in-Hold on-Shut up
Established Member
They will not create a car simalar in wieght to the z06, first off because the z06 and mustang are two different cars designed for two different people. The "mustang" is heritage, they woulnt make a two seater because they havent yet. the cobra is fast, and you can haul 4 people around at the same time. so maybe wish for a bigger engine that puts out more significant numbers and that will compensate for the weight.

dodgetoford

Banned
steeljack said:
I think that the next cobra can go over 500 hp even though the gt has only 500 hp. There is many other factors to that car that make it a supercar which is why it costs that much. If ford is going to compete with the new viper and new Z06 they will have to go to 500 hp because of the hefty weight of the Mustang. I would also be prepared to pay $45,000-$60,000 for a 600 hp Shelby Cobra. We have already seen a $60,000 limited edition Mustang. Why not the same price for a semi-mass produced one with all the goodies we should expect from Ford if it wants to attract buyers for what seems like the next big musclecar era? Also with a pricetag like that on a 600 hp monster would keep it away from 16 yr old kids.
hey im 16 and im at fort myers high school in sw florida. We have a total of 2500 kids at our school. Relativley small town. We have 3 escalades an h2 an origianl h1 truck, couple hemi rams (one just wrecked today lol) a lightning, soon another lightning (cough cough mine), couple mustangs but no cobras. A bmw m3 a benz slk 350... the list goes on....times are changing. Dont worry the school down the street has a brand new viper...

Talus

LookingThroughAWideAngle
Established Member
dodgetoford said:
hey im 16 and im at fort myers high school in sw florida. We have a total of 2500 kids at our school. Relativley small town. We have 3 escalades an h2 an origianl h1 truck, couple hemi rams (one just wrecked today lol) a lightning, soon another lightning (cough cough mine), couple mustangs but no cobras. A bmw m3 a benz slk 350... the list goes on....times are changing. Dont worry the school down the street has a brand new viper...

ahhhh pooey. :nonono:

Red97Snake

Established Member
Where did my pushrods go...?

I gotta say I'm really missin' the low end torque of push rods in my '97 DOHC Snake. BUT...I DO love the fact I'm still high-rev pullin' on fools while they're shifting at 5500 and I still have 2 grand till I gotta shift. :beer: But you can never go wrong with a huffer. Sounds cool, shows that you know what your talkin' about and your no chump. You know they'll put too big a pully on it for us kinda people so we, of course, have to put a smaller pully on it. Big heads, mucho valves, lotsa air and a sweet note. That's what I want!

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread