• 2005 Mustang GT

Votes: 228 71.0%
  • Wouldn't get either.

Votes: 48 15.0%

• Total voters

DSG03Snake

Established Member
Metalbassist03 said:
Is it really that much of an improvement? What about tranny wise for manual and auto, is it still the 4R70W / T-45 (auto / manual)??

I know the new SOHC is 3V which is good and puts out 300 HP, but I mean the 04 can definitely put out the same power with little modification.
Trust me, the entire package of the car is just so good. From the feel of the clutch (it's hydraulic and feels VERY good), to the shifter throw and placement, to the ride and handling it is a very nice car. I hesitate to say it, but I think it's the best Mustang I've ever drive/owned, and my last stang was a 2003 Cobra.

David Hester

Established Member
I have a buddy that works at a dealer on the lookout for a 05 GT. Stopped by there in November and they didn't have one yet, but saleman said look at what we do have. 03 Cobra conv. Nah, looking for a 05 GT. That was Friday. Went back Monday and bought it. :rollseyes
Gonna have to trade the Focus SVT in on one this summer when prices get a tad better. :thumbsup:

ragshockey88

Established Member
im a member of themustangsource.com......its an amazing site. got all my info from there and now im buying an 05 GT....its on order

DSMRacer121

Established Member
Not only do I love the looks, and power of the '05, but it actually has legroom! Thank god I can fit comfortably in a mustang now

BigDaveDogg

Keepin' it real.
Established Member
David Hester said:
I have a buddy that works at a dealer on the lookout for a 05 GT. Stopped by there in November and they didn't have one yet, but saleman said look at what we do have. 03 Cobra conv. Nah, looking for a 05 GT. That was Friday. Went back Monday and bought it. :rollseyes
Gonna have to trade the Focus SVT in on one this summer when prices get a tad better. :thumbsup:

:rockon: Congratulations man, I think you'll be much more pleased in the Cobra than an '05 GT...unless you're in it for the look and the look solely. :beer:

Undertow

Established Member
It's only a matter of time before everyone becomes bored with the way the 04 looks. I know when I first saw the previous line up I was just disturbed by the way it looked until the 03 Cobra came out. Just give the 05 some time, it will grow on everyone.

ara

Established Member
i am in the process of deciding between a 2004 cobra vert, or a 2005 gt, both are plenty fast for me, i'm coming from a diesel jetta, but the problem is that i have winters here and i don't want to buy a beater, i know i can drive the 2004 in the winter stock, but it won't be long before its modded, i'm thinking the 2005 is a better deal, and i loved the way the car drove and sounded stock. I'll make my decision next week. :eek:

Croco X

SVT Fanboy
Established Member
Without a doubt the '05...more power, more room and there's something about that retro look that grabs your eye. The only thing that could possibly get me away from that would be an '04 Mystichrome Cobra...got to look at one last year and oh...my...God! *drool* That is the only thing that I would choose over if I had to choose between it and the '05 GT.

VENOM650R

Established Member
All I can say is I know of at least 3 very unhappy '05 GT owners, one white, one black and one yellow. Evidently, there are many buyers of these '05 GTs that don't know what an SVT Cobra is. These 3 actually tried to race me! Wow did they lose bad. I can hear them back at the dealer saying " What did I pay over sticker for? I just got smoked by an old Mustang ". Personally I like the more aggressive looks of the current Cobra just like I like the more aggressive looks of my GTS versus the SRT Viper. In addition, I'll take the IRS versus a solid axle anyday.

lukoi

Mustang Modding Newbie
Established Member
if the three that raced you are too stupid to know what a cobra is, then they deserve to lose. It's got nothing to say about whether or not the 05 is a good car really.

How much was the 04 Cobra? Let me add the price difference and they end up being alot more similar in performance.

I think the new GT looks more like an old school muscle car and I've got no complaints. But I also know that the car isn't gonna smoke everything on the road, coming stock off the lot. 306 flywheel hp is good, but hell, it's nothing compared to a Cobra or most modded muscle cars.

Idiots are idiots where ever they go. Wish they'd spent even more money and gotten something like a Jag or a Vette to lose to you in, that'd be funny :p

GM Refugee

Established Member
2005 for me.

Sorry, but the 99-04 Mustangs just look awful. Chick cars for sure. At least the '05 looks like a Mustang. I've been very pleased with the performance of my '05. When I get the Saleen SC on I'll be even happier! :pepper:

But I do miss my big block.

YELOSNK

Established Member
GM Refugee said:
2005 for me.

Sorry, but the 99-04 Mustangs just look awful. Chick cars for sure. At least the '05 looks like a Mustang. I've been very pleased with the performance of my '05. When I get the Saleen SC on I'll be even happier! :pepper:

But I do miss my big block.

99-04 Mustangs look mean, I can't believe there are actually people that don't like them. :shrug: However, I can not imagine why anyone would buy an '04 GT over an '05 GT unless they are getting some serious deal on the '04. '05 has way more power, way better chassis, better handling, and better interior. Just seams like a no-brainer to me. :beer:

As for the IRS thing, the solid axle setup in the '05 GTs is awesome. Really not much worse in the twisties than the IRS on the Cobras, and it is way better at the drag strip.

Last edited:

GM Refugee

Established Member
YELOSNK said:
99-04 Mustangs look mean, I can't believe there are actually people that don't like them. :shrug: However, I can not imagine why anyone would buy an '04 GT over an '05 GT unless they are getting some serious deal on the '04. '05 has way more power, way better chassis, better handling, and better interior. Just seams like a no-brainer to me. :beer:

As for the IRS thing, the solid axle setup in the '05 GTs is awesome. Really not much worse in the twisties than the IRS on the Cobras, and it is way better at the drag strip.

I'll admit that when I was deciding to defect to the Blue Oval side I was seriously looking at the '04 Mach 1's. They look pretty tough. Otherwise, the body style just doesn't look very masculine to me. I agree with everything else you said. Everyone has their tastes.

Mach170

evangelist
Established Member
I think that if i was to try and run a 03 -04 cobra at the track, it wouldn't be because i thought I could win, it would be too see how it holds up to the cobra. Sometimes people just wanna see what a 03-04 cobra has compared to there car. Nothing wrong with that :)

Users who are viewing this thread