07-09 V 10,s Mod for Mod

ESPN8

Established Member
Just looking at some of your guys power output in your signatures, the 07-09 cars really seem to be able to up the power very easily .
So , my question is , mod for mod , example, CAI , pulley change , tune , exhaust , do they respond better than the 2010,s ?

skyhighsd

Established Member
No they should be the same, the only thing that changed was the cai and the factory tune otherwise its the same motor. So modding it will be the same as far as numbers go. The only thing you might not see a big gain on is a cai and a mild tune like people where getting on the 07-09 gt500's.

Wilson & Co

SnakeJockeyExtraordinaire
Established Member
Expect a little less on the 2010.
Seems pulley cars are 499-505 RWHP

Ford has done some put in some tuning hurdles

My '10 dyno'd 483rwhp bone stock with about 45min cooldown in 90*+ heat this summer.

So I think that as far as the tuning goes, yes... If you've burned 87 octane for a few days the PCM can cut timing and cut some timing w/ the knock sensors..

but other than that they should be equal once you get past a CAI

ESPN8

Established Member
My '10 dyno'd 483rwhp bone stock with about 45min cooldown in 90*+ heat this summer.

So I think that as far as the tuning goes, yes... If you've burned 87 octane for a few days the PCM can cut timing and cut some timing w/ the knock sensors..

Mine went on the dyno with about 40 miles on the clock , with a Tune plugged in to it , 478 was the rwhp . I now have about 1700 miles on the car so i,m thinking ( if the weather holds out ) to head down South again in a couple of weeks and see if its increased now that the engine is a little more broken in . I really want to do the Pulleys and JLT CAI mods but , where i live , we only get 91 octane . I see the 07-09 cars really respond well to these Mods .

jcthorne

Established Member

Hmmmmmm.

You did not really put 87 in your GT500 did you? Clearly marked on the dash and the owners manual PREMIUM FUEL ONLY.

ESPN8

Established Member
Hmmmmmm.

You did not really put 87 in your GT500 did you? Clearly marked on the dash and the owners manual PREMIUM FUEL ONLY.
Not me , thats for sure . If i knew for sure that Octane boost would raise the octane of the gas , i would go ahead and do the pulley swap and get a tune for 93 but , the debate still continues over that one .

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
yup for the most part they will be very close the same. but the 2010 has PCM with knock sensors that with a bad batch of gas will pull timming real fast

Superfly99

Stang Freak
Established Member
I really want to do the Pulleys and JLT CAI mods but , where i live , we only get 91 octane . I see the 07-09 cars really respond well to these Mods .

That is not an issue. You can get the kit with a tune for 91 octane. I got my kit from Jay at JLT for my 09 with a 91 octane tune. I believe that is the only tune he uses anyway. The power you would get from a 93 octane tune wouldn't be that much more anyway. I use 93 octane gas with my 91 octane tune, just a little extra insurance from detonation.

ESPN8

Established Member
That is not an issue. You can get the kit with a tune for 91 octane. I got my kit from Jay at JLT for my 09 with a 91 octane tune. I believe that is the only tune he uses anyway. The power you would get from a 93 octane tune wouldn't be that much more anyway. I use 93 octane gas with my 91 octane tune, just a little extra insurance from detonation.
What power are you making with this tune ?

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The 2010 I worked on was a tad low once modded, but I chock that up to the miles being low (no break in), weather, and the fact that some cars are just low. There are plenty of low 07-09s too. I don't believe there to be any computer limitations in the 10s.

As others said, 10s start out higher due to the CAI and much much more aggressive factory tune, but they end up in the same place.

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member

Same here! 91 octane EVO tune from JLT and I run 93. I feel a bit safer. According to Jay, his 08 with just a cai and the same tune was around 501 rwhp, IIRC.

ESPN8

Established Member
The 2010 I worked on was a tad low once modded, but I chock that up to the miles being low (no break in), weather, and the fact that some cars are just low. There are plenty of low 07-09s too. I don't believe there to be any computer limitations in the 10s.

As others said, 10s start out higher due to the CAI and much much more aggressive factory tune, but they end up in the same place.
Mine at the moment is putting down 478 rwhp , is this low or about average . It does have a tune on it . When it went for the tune , i think there was only around 60 miles on the odo so the engine was no-where near be broken in .
I,m hoping to get back to the dyno on the 24th as long as the weather holds up and see if its making any more power with a few miles under the belt.
Is 520 rwhp achieveable with the pulley swap and a different CAI with 91 fuel or do i have to change other things .

GT50008

Established Member

I have a TVS with the FRPP tune. It has two options for fuel 93 and 91 octane. The first option is 93. I only have 91 in Colorado. I called Ford Racing. They said if I don't hear any detonation with the 93 fuel option (advances the timing more than the 91 option) when using 91 I am okay. Can anyone explain this?

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I have a TVS with the FRPP tune. It has two options for fuel 93 and 91 octane. The first option is 93. I only have 91 in Colorado. I called Ford Racing. They said if I don't hear any detonation with the 93 fuel option (advances the timing more than the 91 option) when using 91 I am okay. Can anyone explain this?

I can see that...their tune is super mild so a 93 tune on 91 is going to be okay in that case.

Btw, there is about 30rwhp on the table with their tune vs aftermarket, check out this article:
[ame="http://vmptuning.com/forum/showthread.php?t=894"]VMP's Article in November 5.0 Mag on Steve Turner's TVSed GT500 - VMP Tuning Message Board[/ame]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread