07-14 Shelby GT500 EGR Delete "How To"

bossnova3

Established Member
Awesome thanks I reused the oem line coming out of the blower took of the 2 that were plugged in to the egr and if the 2 little holes plugged one and used the other for the sip sensor came out looking stock, thanks for the awesome write up really helpful. Here's a pic I'll take some closer ones tommorow.
[ATTACH=full]591221[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 1087af00bfeec3e72d2e37000d13d745.jpg
    1087af00bfeec3e72d2e37000d13d745.jpg
    786.3 KB · Views: 71

TORQJNKY

Awesome thanks I reused the oem line coming out of the blower took of the 2 that were plugged in to the egr and if the 2 little holes plugged one and used the other for the sip sensor came out looking stock, thanks for the awesome write up really helpful. Here's a pic I'll take some closer ones tomorrow.

Sweet! Happy to help out and pass good info along.

lubrizolsfin3st

Established Member
Great write up here. For those who are asking, The only real gains you'll get by deleting the EGR, is room for an aftermarket fuel system on certain setups, a cleaner looking engine bay, and you'll save a few pounds. Otherwise, there is no performance gain.

If your car is emission tested, it won't pass without it.

Wrong, I live in Houston area and this is something that I did to my 01 L and most did this on them. I never had a fail, just get a tune for it. I like most lost about 1 mpg but when I was at 12 mpg getting 1 mpg less isn't crap. I'm just love the fact it cleans up the engine bay. I'll be doing it soon myself

Last edited:

Bad Company

Established Member
Is there an overview? You have to join in order to view.
I haven't read the link. I was hoping somebody else would answer the question, but they haven't. I've been reluctant to answer the question for a number of personal reasons regarding my history and forums in general

The jest of the issue with deleting the EGR has to deal with part throttle cruise conditions. In this driving situation cylinder temperatures are capable of rising higher than during WOT conditions where Air/Fuel Ratios are much richer. During cruise A/F Ratios are normally around 14.8:1, whereas at WOT they'll be roughly 10.8:1 or slightly lower depending on the tuner.

The richer fuel conditions at WOT act as a coolant in of itself to reduce the possibilities of detonation occurring during the combustion process.

Now the next question is how does EGR reduce cylinder temperatures during the combustion process at part throttle cruise conditions with leaner A/F Ratios?

Spent exhaust gases are inert gases..........they can't burn. Yes they are hot gases, but they don't contribute anything to the combustion process of burning the A/F mixture in the cylinder during these lean engine cruise conditions. So they reduce the cylinder temperatures of the combustion process, which in of itself reduces the possibilities of detonation under these driving conditions. Now the OEM also found that reduced cylinder temperature also reduces the engine's output of Nitrogen Oxide emissions during the most often way a car is driven, part throttle cruise conditions. It allows the engine manufactures to tune for peak performance/fuel economy without the fear of detonation while reducing emissions.

If you want a better understanding of the physics occurring inside the engine and are willing to sit down to read and comprehend the information in basic layman terms, here is a great link to understanding what is occurring and why EGR can be beneficial.

http://www.contactmagazine.com/Issue54/EngineBasics.html

You can also delete the EGR, but realize in doing so you immediately must fatten the part throttle cruise conditions A/F Ratio to decrease the cylinder temperatures to reduce the chances of detonation during these driving conditions. Expect fuel mileage to suffer by 10% and possibly more. By doing this you're again using the fatter A/F Ratio to help cool the cylinder temperatures.

Engines running on E85 most of the time I believe are ideal candidates for EGR Deletes, but must be tuned fat for gasoline. E85 reduces cylinder temperatures much better than gasoline during the combustion process.

Bad Company

Established Member
Thanks Bad Company. Excellent explanation. My car is full time E85, which is a contributing factor to why I did it. It's up to you to make a decision, based on your own research, to delete your EGR.
Your welcome

Yes E85 reduces cylinder temperatures considerably due to the fact the A/F Ratio at part throttle is roughly 9.8:1. The 30% higher volume of liquid fuel in the cylinder during the combustion process has a massive cooling effect on the cylinder temperatures. I plan on running mine on E85 most of the time, but when I do have to use gasoline it will be a fat mixture to combat detonation with reduced timing. Also changing spark plug heat ranges can make a huge difference also.

If you really want to get a headache here is another link with a lot of useful information in it about engines..........this one will take a while to read and may take reading it a few times to comprehend it correctly. I think it is worth wrapping your head around though. Don't let the writings scare you, because once you start understanding the physics and destructive energy going on inside an engine.....it may make you think twice about modifying one LOL

http://mb-soft.com/public2/engine.html

Users who are viewing this thread