07 f150 5.4 knocking sound

20redfire03

Established Member
My father has a 07 f150 5.4 3v and its making a knocking noise. Motor has 78k on it. Doesn't seem to increase with revs, only starts once it's warmed up. Could it be rod knock? Sorta immatates tapping your fingers on a desk going from side to side.

Also truck runs and drives fine. A dealership is saying the main bearing is shot and needs a new motor(6k) or short lock 1,500-2,500.

Truck doesn't do any heavy towing and is mainly driven highway.

Last edited:

SirShaun

Established Member
Last edited:

Coiled03

Established Member
Mine has the cam phaser tick, too. My plan is to run it until it shits the bed. I'd advise you to do the same. No sense worrying about something that might never happen.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Although mine doesn't do it...yet, sounds like cam phasers for sure.

I'm all over the F150 boards because I own a 5.4 F150 and it is a very common problem with these motors.

COBRA97SVT

Established Member
Mine sounds terrible aswell. LOL kinda embarrassing when the damn thing diesels while stopped at a light. Did Ford ever fix the new replacement phasers? For under $500 guides, chains, phasers, and tensioner's can be had. Id be pissed to replace all that and have the same outcome down the road.

Last edited:

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
Not sure which is worse...this happening at such low mileage or the fact ford said it toasted a motor.

I swear man the 5.4 just cant win. We have to do plugs in a buddies this weekend lol. Luckily its a sub 70k miles motor. But this, plugs, exhaust manifold leaks, etc.

Steve@Tasca

A live oil pressure gauge wouldn't be a bad idea, the o-ring in the chain tensioners can fail which leads to oil starvation to the head and that will destroy an engine.

-Steve

Livernois Motorsports

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Cam phaser issues have plagued the 2004-2010 4.6L & 5.4L 3V motors. This is a known issue and replacing the components with factory or reproduction items acts as a temporary solution since you will encounter the same problems in the near future. The proven solution to this issue is our Cam Phaser Noise Repair Kit. Our kit includes phaser lock out blocks, phaser bolts (factory bolts are torque to yield), wedge tool (allowing the installation of this kit to be done by removing the valve covers and not entire front cover) and the last important piece is the MyCal hand held tuner pre-loaded tune files. Our kit has been extremely popular among owners of 3V motors whether it has 0 miles to 150,000+ miles. History has shown that at some point these motors will encounter the dreaded cam phaser noise.

Others above have provided links to our website featuring this product and I thank them for doing so. In case you missed it here it is again along with our install video on YouTube.

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/products/Livernois-Motorsports-4.6%7B47%7D5.4L-Cam-Phaser-Noise-Repair-Kit.html

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Not sure which is worse...this happening at such low mileage or the fact ford said it toasted a motor.

I swear man the 5.4 just cant win. We have to do plugs in a buddies this weekend lol. Luckily its a sub 70k miles motor. But this, plugs, exhaust manifold leaks, etc.

Make sure you have the removal tool. All 8 of mine broke when I did it at 99K.

SirShaun

Established Member

Use air tools on full blast when pulling the plugs. Apparently you are less likely to break the plug off. I did mine by hand at sub 70k miles and broke two out of the 8.

Last edited:

FORDSVTPARTS

Authorized Vendor
Use air tools on full blast when pulling the plugs. Apparently you are less likely to break the plug off.

:lol:

The older 2 Valves had the issue with the plugs blowing out, so apparently they took it a little to far to make sure these won't come out.

SirShaun

Established Member
Even with all the annoyances, I still love my 3 valve. It's going to hurt when I sell it or trade it in for a coyote in a couple years.

Users who are viewing this thread