08 and 09 Ford F-650 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel

ifinditundrgrnd

Established Member
Any experts out there that are familiar with this engine and any emissions issues including EGR failures and/or turbo failures?

mifordman

Established Member
over all good engines, if you can do a DPF delete. EGR valves are some what of an issue, most of the time the plunger gets stuck. as far as turbo failures, i have seen a few, most are the sector gear for the VGT portion seizes up, i have yet to see a turbo explode on one of these engines.

ifinditundrgrnd

Established Member
I'm having Particulate Filter issues, the EGR fails and plugs it up (the DPF). Then shortly therafter the turbo goes...I am being told Cummins only warrantied the emissions for two years. Since I have an 08 and an 09 things are really starting to add up. I can't make $$ if these trucks are in the shop.

mifordman

Established Member
that doesn't seem right, if your DPF plugged up too bad to do a regen due to EGR failure that is progressive damage and should be covered. on the other hand if your EGR valve fails or any codes pop up you need to get it into the shop as fast as possible, it doesn't take much to plug that DPF and driving around with bad/failed parts is no good. do you know what if any fault codes youre getting, post them up if you do i can go on cummins site and check over them

Quicktime_GT

Established Member
I had an 07 dodge 6.7... I ran H&S block off plates on the manifold and intake, ditched all the EGR and ran a straight pipe with a smarty tuner.

It ran great and got around 20mpg...

Worse case scenario, if you must replace the turbo, I'd ditch the VGT and go with a 66mm charger

Last edited:

ifinditundrgrnd

Established Member
With my 08, we had the issues with EGR failure leading to the DPF plugging, replacement of the EGR fixed the issue, the turbo failed about 1 year after the EGR problem. We are currently going through the same issue now with my 09 with 22K miles. They replaced the EGR, sent the DPF out for cleaning and cleaned the EGR cooler, got it back last night. Sent it 75 miles up the road and it smoked blue smoke up the road, the shop assured us it was normal, then we got the stop engine light again and we think the turbo may have gone out. Don't know, still on a wrecker back to our only Cummins authorized repair shop (another $650.00 towing bill). As of now, they are telling me it is all out of warranty and it's on my shoulders. We'll see what happens once they get back under the hood of the 09. To top it all off the 08 gave us a Service Engine Soon light and ran poorly again today......just waiting for that one to go tits up again. I ran it for a bit once it got back to the shop and appears to be ok for now.

I also have an 04 with the Non-Emissions Cat that runs flawlessly......I hate the tree hugging politicians that pushed this emissions garbage on us all. It's always the little guy taking it in the rear. /Rant

Last edited:

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
over all good engines, if you can do a DPF delete. EGR valves are some what of an issue, most of the time the plunger gets stuck. as far as turbo failures, i have seen a few, most are the sector gear for the VGT portion seizes up, i have yet to see a turbo explode on one of these engines.

Bingo.

Biggest issues on these engines are EGR coolers (to a lesser extent the EGR system) and the DPF.

EGR coolers fail and you'll notice coolant loss and white smoke. They sell aftermarket ones that are more robust, or just flat out delete it. More robust ones will let you keep your emissions compliance, but deleting altogether will save you from any issues that arise from dumping soot back into your engine. EGR improves fuel economy/emissions and hurts reliability. Pick what you like best.

DPF's are prone to plugging. That's just the nature of the beast. They're just a giant soot filter. If you do a lot of idling or short trips, you don't get it hot enough to burn off the soot in a passive regeneration. What happens when you don't get a passive one? You get an active one, which is just dumping extra fuel into the exhaust to burn off the soot. DPF's just aren't good for you. They're a massive restriction, and consume extra fuel during active regeneration.

Although if you have a business and you're running these trucks hard, you may not see a problem. A lot of it has to do with duty cycle. You might also not have a choice to keep them legal.

However I do know the Cummins ISB pretty well (granted not as much as the ISL-G) and it is a very stout motor.

mifordman- Are you referring to Quickserve for the fault codes?

mifordman

Established Member
OP I would insist that it is warranty, specially if the truck only went a few miles Down The road. You might also be able to push and get some of your towbill re payed, cummins will do that sometimes. If the mechanic didn't regen the unit after installing the cleaned DPF it will smoke the first few miles because of how they clean them. If you can, get the fault codes, I can give you my opinion but it certainly won't be 100% what the problem is.

Secondhand- yes I'm referring to Quickserve

ifinditundrgrnd

Established Member
Final verdict on the truck in question.
Replacement of the Delta Pressure Sensor (whatever that is and does), replacement of all 6 fuel injectors (3 were supposedly failing), replacement of the EGR valve, and cleaning of the EGR cooler, DPF filter cleaning. With the two tow bills, totalled over $6K. Not a penny covered under the two year engine warranty. Cummins SUCKS! I want my Caterpillars back.

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
Replacement of the Delta Pressure Sensor (whatever that is and does), replacement of all 6 fuel injectors (3 were supposedly failing), replacement of the EGR valve, and cleaning of the EGR cooler, DPF filter cleaning. With the two tow bills, totalled over $6K. Not a penny covered under the two year engine warranty. Cummins SUCKS! I want my Caterpillars back.

wow, the HD trucks must get a pretty good discount!! i would have banged you for over 12k just for the injectors! the delta pressure sensor measures pressure before and after the dpf to estimate soot/ash level. we dont clean coolers or dpfs so you would have been buying those for over 3k. so i would say you got a pretty good deal.

ifinditundrgrnd

Established Member
wow, the HD trucks must get a pretty good discount!! i would have banged you for over 12k just for the injectors! the delta pressure sensor measures pressure before and after the dpf to estimate soot/ash level. we dont clean coolers or dpfs so you would have been buying those for over 3k. so i would say you got a pretty good deal.

I'll keep that in mind if the opportunity to expand our business to Las Vegas ever arises. Thanks for the education on the Delta Pressure Sensor.

Last edited:

SecondhandSnake

Established Member

:uh oh:

That sucks. The reason Caterpillar got out of the on highway market was so they didn't have to deal with this emissions nonsense.

alex3610

Established Member
Caterpillar had some major problems with their 07 EPA products. Cost them big money. We had a Cat C8 i think in a new 07 rig at my old job and it was constantly in the shop for emissions related problems. I got home late last night from Wisconsin doing final inspection on 5 new rigs we just bought. These will be our first that have the DPF and the DEF/Urea injection. Just looking at how the exhaust is routed is a nightmare. These are firetrucks by the way and do lots of idling, and lots of short trips. Passive regeneration probably won't be happening much, and I can see lots of our people avoiding doing a manual regen. The mfg told us the man regen takes about 20 minutes to complete. What happens if we catch a run in the middle of that? Got to stop and start all over again later. I have a bad feeling this is going to lead to a lot of plugged up DPF's, check engines lights, and rigs stuck in limp mode that have to go out of service. FYI some of these are Cummins ISL's and some are Detroit DD13's. This new EPA stuff is a NIGHTMARE in my opinion. Added something around 10-12k on the cost of our new rigs.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Diesels would be so much better without all the emissions crap. Similar boat as you, with a good portion of our fleet always in the shop for these very same reasons. We have all three OEMs, and they all have the same problems.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I would love to see a study done to estimate the amount of lost productivity in the US economy that can be attributed to the down time from these new diesel emissions equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread