08 GT500 vs 11 5.0. Is this normal?

GeorgeInNePa

Established Member
You might want to "re-read" my post. In 2010 the 2011 GT I was ordering from Ford was right at $39,000 with the options I wanted, which is right around what I paid for my '10 GT500. And YES my 2.59 pulley and tune was $650 (And YES I netted 540/545 with just that modification).. Why would you even question my comment on my HP for $650 unless you haven't done any research and what to expect with aftermarket modifications for the GT500?

VMP kit link is below sir

VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing: 10-12 GT500 Pulley & Custom Tune Upgrade Package

Another little tid bit on the Shelby vs GT debate. Fastest stock 2011 GT500 on BIGS AND LITTLES is 11.16 @ 124mph. What do you honestly think a factory stock GT would have done with those same bigs and littles on that very same day? It wouldnt even be close. My guess is almost a second slower.

Anyone can hang with a car thats traction limited, eliminate that and its over. I dont even know why we are even debating this.

2011 GT500 is a different animal, wouldn't you say?

GeorgeInNePa

Established Member
Even the 5.0 guys question that "pure stock" 12.2 @115. There have been numerous threads about it as everyone and their dog is throwing that time out there to talk up the 5.0 and its 1/4'' dominance.

The consensus from the threads I have read....Cecil is a very "fast" track, same track where stock 350zs are capable of running high 12s.....:??:

Quotes about Cecil:
"Cecil was once called the traction Capitol of the world, due to its concrete "launch" pad and the fact it's almost sea level." Negative DAs are common there.

12.2 is believable on a negative DA day, probably a 12.6 everywhere else in the country.

I have yet to see anyone duplicate that result or really even come close in stock trim.

I was there that day. The air was phenomenal.

Also, almost every decent track now had concrete and many tracks are lower.

Atco is what? 32' above sea level? Cecil is 330'+.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
GT500 was at a bit of a disadvantage at those speeds.

you need to get him from a 60 roll next time in 3rd gear. Let the power and gearing take care of him at those speeds, hes better at the 10-110mph game, youre better at the 60-160 game.

slowbra99

Established Member
Even the 5.0 guys question that "pure stock" 12.2 @115. There have been numerous threads about it as everyone and their dog is throwing that time out there to talk up the 5.0 and its 1/4'' dominance.

The consensus from the threads I have read....Cecil is a very "fast" track, same track where stock 350zs are capable of running high 12s.....:??:

Quotes about Cecil:
"Cecil was once called the traction Capitol of the world, due to its concrete "launch" pad and the fact it's almost sea level." Negative DAs are common there.

12.2 is believable on a negative DA day and a prepped track, probably a 12.6 everywhere else in the country.

I have yet to see anyone duplicate that result or really even come close in stock trim.

pretty close to accurate my friends 01gt could only muster a 14.4 (99mph) at atco but ran 13.9 (100mph) at cecil. and thats a great comparsion of tracks before somebody tries to say only one of them has negative da's when they are actually not that far off usually on any given day.

Grabber07'

Established Member
Every year before.

2010 had 540 hp (10hp less than the '11) and posted an 11.9 stock 1/4 (on factory tires) with Justin Burcham driving (not your everyday joe driver for the record)

2011 GT500 posted a slower stock 1/4 compared to the '10 BUT it was cooler the day the '10 ran, definitely better air.

I wouldnt say the previous 07-09 arent too far off. Granted lacking 50 hp and heavy by 100lbs, they werent too shabby.

The question/comment was raised by a 5.0 owner why GT500 owners throw the "I can just add a pulley/tune" out there. All GT500s will produce similar power once they have equal mods.

07-09 did not have factory cold air or aggressive factory tune as compared to the '10+. Throw a CAI, and tune on an 07 and it will produce similar power to the '11 and become that "different animal" once on equal playing fields.

Saying its a "different animal" is like saying a 5.0 that came factory with a CAI and tune is a different animal compared to a 5.0 that did not. Not that different if you really read between the lines.

But yes I understand what you are saying about the previous models and do agree that the results are different.

Last edited:

xXGadfly09Xx

Banned
2010 had 540 hp (10hp less than the '11) and posted an 11.9 stock 1/4 (on factory tires) with Justin Burcham driving (not your everyday joe driver for the record)

2011 GT500 posted a slower stock 1/4 compared to the '10 BUT it was cooler the day the '10 ran, definitely better air.

I wouldnt say the previous 07-09 arent too far off. Granted lacking 50 hp and heavy by 100lbs, they werent too shabby.

The question/comment was raised by a 5.0 owner why GT500 owners throw the "I can just add a pulley/tune" out there. All GT500s will produce similar power once they have equal mods.

07-09 did not have factory cold air or aggressive factory tune as compared to the '10+. Throw a CAI, and tune on an 07 and it will produce similar power to the '11 and become that "different animal" once on equal playing fields.

Saying its a "different animal" is like saying a 5.0 that came factory with a CAI and tune is a different animal compared to a 5.0 that did not. Not that different if you really read between the lines.

But yes I understand what you are saying about the previous models and do agree that the results are different.

I thought the 07-09 weighed around the same as the 10 and only in 11 did the gt500 get the 100lbs diet with the aluminum block?

papasnake

Established Member
I despise hypothetical argument as much as the next guy, BUT lets not forget that the 500 even at stock HP has significant traction issues. Throw out the cai/tune argument, and slap on some DR's, you're looking at significantly better ETs.

justinschmidt1

Established Member
I despise hypothetical argument as much as the next guy, BUT lets not forget that the 500 even at stock HP has significant traction issues. Throw out the cai/tune argument, and slap on some DR's, you're looking at significantly better ETs.

That's 100% the issue with those cars. They don't hook worth a shit on street tires.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

HONEY BADGER

Established Member
Put a bus length on a new 5.0 from 60-130. Layed off the gas to let him pull, stopped his pull and put another bus length on him. I do have the basics mods, but i thought it would be a little closer. Could be driver mod, but come on a 60 roll?

Are they really putting down 390whp stock?? 5% drivetrain loss?

All and all im not bias with any cars....i have driven both these cars and the gt500 seems significantly quicker.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
What is HRP? You mean RPR? Who is calling you a liar? And if some of you dipshits could read I said "Stock for stock the numbers are ALMOST identical". Already turning into a pissing contest. I have seen bone stock 5.0's run low 12's to high 13's at RPR and I have also seen GT500's run high 13's. Driver?

@Grabber07, You bought a 2010 GT500 in 2010 for 30k? And really 540/545rwhp for $650?

You knew what I meant, RPR used to be named HRP. I don't live there so I'm not up on the track naming of the week. Yes you did call me out on my honesty, now you're calling out Grabber.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Man that is outrageous for a gt. I'm not going to keep going back and fourth with you guys, it always come down to "I own it so it's the best" Congrats to you guys with your expensive cars.

Before we bought the wife an SHO, we looked at a Grabber blue 2011 C/S A6. It was loaded with touchscreen nav and I want to say sticker was $41K+. So the new GT's with options are not cheap. You can get a stripper 6sp for $30K.... But us rich people with our "expensive cars" dont buy the cheapest car but the one that suits our needs/wants best. ;-)

2012Yote

Term General
Established Member
You knew what I meant, RPR used to be named HRP. I don't live there so I'm not up on the track naming of the week. Yes you did call me out on my honesty, now you're calling out Grabber.

Please explain how "Not saying you are lying" which is what I said is "calling you out on your honesty" and how am I calling out grabber? I just asked how he achieved the specs he stated.

What part of La you in?

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Please explain how "Not saying you are lying" which is what I said is "calling you out on your honesty" and how am I calling out grabber? I just asked how he achieved the specs he stated.

What part of La you in?

It just comes across that way, maybe I'm reading too much into it?:??:

I'm between BR and NO.

2012Yote

Term General
Established Member
It just comes across that way, maybe I'm reading too much into it?:??:

I'm between BR and NO.

Lol that wasn't my intentions at all, But I do the same. And I don't doubt one bit you didn't run what you said and I know the GT500 with a few bolt ons is a beast but the 5.0 isn't grandma's grocery getter.

I moved to Houston from Lake Charles, and man I find myself missing home a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread