08 GT500 vs 12 5.0

Established Member
I don't post often, but thought I would share this one.

I own the 12 GT 5.0, my cousin from out of state owns the 08 GT500. He came up to visit for the weekend and brought his car and we thought we would run them. His GT500 is stock with 27k miles, and my 12 5.0(3.73 Brembo car) has long tube headers with high flow cats and a Lund tune 7k miles on it.

After looking at each others car for a bit we get out on the highway to see how they would do. We get lined up in 3rd gear at 60(I could not get him to slow down any more on the highway), and just as we get ready to go my car goes in to limp mode... I am like WTF? As soon as he is 10 cars ahead of me the limp mode kicks off and my car is good again(never happened before, and has not happened since). We get off the highway and talk for a bit, turn around, get back on the highway and go.

Once again starting in 3rd gear at 60, we go... all through 3rd we are even, and as soon as I hit 4th I start to pull hard on the GT500. I think I was maybe 2 cars ahead at the top of 4th. We do 3 runs, same results each time. We get off the highway and swap cars, I had not driven his yet, nor he mine. We do 3 more runs with me driving his car, first 2 my 5.0 beats his GT500 with him driving, but not by as much. 3rd run is even. Driver mod FTW... or at least a tie the 3rd time. We wrap it up and head back to the house and talk some more... I think he might have a pulley and tune next time we meet(I am just not going to tell him about the VMP blower I am getting next month)

Was a good time.

Poppacapp

Established Member
Good runs man. Seems like the outcome I would expect. 08 Stock GT500 would be mid-low 12 sec car, and yours with you mods in the same range. He has a couple hundred pounds on you. He would make 440-450 range stock.

Established Member
How come 5.0's never lose???

I think they lose just as often as they win, and I am sure if I ran in to your GT500 it would soundly eat my lunch and come back for more!

Besides, how often do you come to the forums to post about a loss you had?

Rct851

Established Member

Good kills OP

Fwiw I have a stock 5.0 an am not that impressed so in not a fanboy by anymeans. But it looks great.

I've been raped by Infinities, vettes etc. but have killed camaros, 370's, tons if ricer stuff

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member

Oh no....here we go...you statement will bring the 5.0 swingers...

Don't forget that an 08 is now 5 years old....I think they have hamsters turning the flywheel way back in 08.

An 03/04??....twigs and small fire.... augmented by 91 octane power that engine....

I joke but await the 5.0 guys famous technology statement(s)

Last edited:

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
Good runs and sounds about right, didn't think there were many stock 07-09 cars floating around anymore, kind of like running into a stock terminator. Like the new 5.0 as a great value car just wouldn't push it much north of 600 whp without upgrading the internals first.

matt87

Established Member
stock 07-09 gt500s arent that fast anyways. your lighter, and by the sounds of it, drive better. results not surprising.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
As expected, after I sold my 2011 GTCS and bought my 08 GT500 I felt the GT500 was slow as hell compared to the 5.0, If he does a pulley, intake and tune he will kill your 5.0.

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
Nice kill OP. no matter how many times a coyote beats a 07-09 GT5hundo I still cant take a GT over a GT500.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Nice runs with your friend.

Some folks here seem shocked, mad even, that these 5.0's are hanging with and pulling on stock SC'ed cars? Ok, no biggie, no need for the hate, the name calling, the "waits for the 5.0 nut swingers" comments. Come on guys show a little courtesy, it's getting to the point where anyone with a 5.0 kill story needs to be careful what he posts for fear of ridicule. The responses are becoming typical all most expected.

Last edited:

BLK93GT

Established Member
Definitely sounds right to me. My friends 12 GT with tune, xpipe, intake, axle back ran 12.2@118 and my stock 11 ran 12.45@116 (stock tires) and 11.95@118. An 07-09 is probably a 114-116 car at best and 12.4-12.6. I don't see why people doubt it.

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
call me crazy but I would never swap cars and run anymore. classic example, driving my brothers z06 on the laughing gas who begs me to race a TT viper. So I did, and bros Z goes kaboom at 170-180 (in mexico of course). AND I won the race! Shit happens.....lol

stangfreak

Established Member
Nice runs with your friend.

Some folks here seem shocked, mad even, that these 5.0's are hanging with and pulling on stock SC'ed cars? Ok, no biggie, no need for the hate, the name calling, the "waits for the 5.0 nut swingers" comments. Come on guys show a little courtesy, it's getting to the point where anyone with a 5.0 kill story needs to be careful what he posts for fear of ridicule. The responses are becoming typical all most expected.

Not to hijack the thread but you guys in the beginning were making the same comments to the cobra guys. I can name two members off the bat where it's automatic with them. I break balls too because it was annoying as well with you 5.0 guys.

People get shocked when a bolt on 5.0 hangs with a pullied 03 cobra that's making 450hp if that when its heated soaked at the race or a stock old GT500. It's nothing wild. The GT is not a magical car.

QuickC5Z

Established Member
The race sounds believable. A bolton 5.0 should beat an 07-09 GT500 fairly easy.
As for the comment about 5.0 nutswingers etc..these 5.0s hold their own pretty well, but are overhyped some too. When they first came out they were crowned C5Z eaters. At the time I was still stock so I was kinda shocked. After racing a couple I found out this wasn't true though. I actually pulled on every 5.0 easily. But if I share my experiences racing 5.0s, 6 out of 10 times im written off as a lying fanboy by the "nutswingers"

Users who are viewing this thread