08 GT500 vs 12 5.0

Riptide

Established Member
Someone who has a built 08 and who's opinion I trust. I wouldn't push 800 on it but go ahead. Your stuff.

blackvette101

Established Member
Someone who has a built 08 and who's opinion I trust. I wouldn't push 800 on it but go ahead. Your stuff.

well that's your opinion. But it's not commonly shared by many, maybe the people on the 2011-14 forum that think the coyote is stronger too. And it's proven time and time again. Many of the shops that have built a lot more then one GT500 are on the record about it. And their are 100's if not 1000's of GT500's many on this forum with a lot more then 700 without issue. It's not like it has cast internals like the coyote. A shit tune will blow anything. Doesn't mean the hardware was not up to it. And if he was that much of an expert he probably would have known that the rotating assembly did not change between 07-09 and 10-12. According to you any blower swapped GT500 with supporting mods is "past it's limits" Somebody better tell carroll Shelby that because he built all those super snakes using the stock internals for a long time they are all past their limits. :lol1:

Last edited:

blackvette101

Established Member
Its not just my opinion. But whatever. Not gonna argue about it.

and that's fine but you may want to show this to your "expert"

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/svt-shelby-gt500-150/331973-fastest-shelby-1-4-mile-list.html

90% of the 9 second list is stock short block and evolution is in the 8's on a stock 08 shortblock (thats one example i'm not saying they all can do it like some people would on here.) All of those guys in the 9's are trapping 140+ (some 150+) which with this heavy of a car usually requires 800+ rwhp.

Last edited:

Grabber07'

Established Member
It took an hour to swap the intake on a '11 GT. Seems pretty bolton'ish to me but whatever.

From what I've read the 07-09 shelbys are near their limits at 650-700. Not sure if that is the MY and hp level someone was referring to as "stage 1" earlier or not.

Given the proper fuel upgrades the GT500 is more than capable of handling 800+rwhp. Not sure where you heard the 650-700 limit, but its FALSE and I would question the persons knowledge on anything else he tells you...

Grabber07'

Established Member
I asked him about it again and he said 700-750ish. So I was off a little bit.

There comes a point when pump gas is no longer going to cut it. Either E85 or more Octane is needed. 700-750 is where I will comfortably push mine in order to use pump gas.

The motor can "handle" 800+rwhp, BUT you want to make sure your tune is spot on and you have the proper fuel mods/octane to ward off starvation/detonation.

Riptide

Established Member
Buying next month. Its a tough choice between a newer GT and a low mile gt500. Leaning towards the GT at this point though.

Poppacapp

Established Member
I'm not sure who told you that. But all 07-12 Shelby's have the same internals and the generally accepted safe limit is between 800-850 rwhp depending on who you ask.

The difference between the power capabilities of the 07-10 and the 11-12's are:

1) The early cars fuel pump does not have the same overvolt setup the later cars have, so they need a BAP at a lower hp level than the 11-12's have.

2) You can generally push the power threshold a little more on the 11-12's because of the onboard wideband o2 sensors.

Personally, on stock bottom end, I would stay no more than the 750rwhp range...and be sure not to overrev at that power level... stay under 6600rpm.

blackvette101

Established Member
The difference between the power capabilities of the 07-10 and the 11-12's are:

1) The early cars fuel pump does not have the same overvolt setup the later cars have, so they need a BAP at a lower hp level than the 11-12's have.

2) You can generally push the power threshold a little more on the 11-12's because of the onboard wideband o2 sensors.

Personally, on stock bottom end, I would stay no more than the 750rwhp range...and be sure not to overrev at that power level... stay under 6600rpm.

if your pushing the stock short block that far you probably should have modified the fuel system anyway. The 11-12 have more electronics like the wideband and knock sensors that can save the motor if it detonates but the hardware is the same. If anything it's the RPM's that kill it. Lund told me with the stock redline and good octane he has not had issues to well into the 900's. So he puts the safe limit around 800-850 depending on the car. 750 is the common stopping point though because thats when the TVS 2.3/whipple 2.9/ KB 2.8 start running out of efficiancy.

Last edited:

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
For most you would ask 750whp is the max safe limit for the shelby on pump gas unless your running race gas full time which will cost a fortune. All the popped motord I've seen were at that range with upper/lower, bigger blower, wot box etc. The max on a stock coyote block is low 600s from the one's I've seen let go. There's always exeptions to the rule but that's the general consensus. Both are great motors but the extra money you spend on the shelby gets you a better built motor from the Factory. Coyote makes insane numbers on boost because it's designed to be a NA motor with higher compression. Low boost and a conservative tune around 600 would run for a long time, push 650+ and risk popping it, imo. Our cars still stomp the SS and zl1 which are the real competition so who cares.

slickfrd

Banned
I feel bad for op...he posts a race and got terrorozed cause its a 5.0...you got gm guys on this site that dont get a peep out of you guys...i dont get it...a gt500,mach 1,boss,5.0,and even a mustang v6 are all the same camp...its like someone putting down your modded gt500 for beating a cobra jet...some guys like a 5.0 looks,price,insurance price,and maybe just the feel of it...with money to mod paycheck to paycheck...or just happy with 400-600hp... Shelby is turning ove in his grave..

OneSlowV

Established Member
I don't think anybody hates the 5.0s. But when you got guys that on posting in the kill section. Saying that they are beating Z06's, GT500s with there bolton 5.0 it makes them look really bad lol.

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
I don't think anybody hates the 5.0s. But when you got guys that on posting in the kill section. Saying that they are beating Z06's, GT500s with there bolton 5.0 it makes them look really bad lol.

I wish I knew why it was so hard for you guys to believe that a '07-'09 GT500 that was a mid to high 12 second car stock was beaten by a middish 12 second 5.0. You pretend like everyone mods the shit out of their car like most people do here. A stock GT500 of that vintage isn't all that quick of a car, sorry.

Ignorance is here everywhere, don't kid yourself. Cars with snake badges on them can actually lose. Shocker, I know, right?

Last edited:

OneSlowV

Established Member
The first gen GT500s were turds stock. I do think a bolton 5.0 could take a first gen GT500. But 2010-12 they are not. My buddy has a 2011 5.0 3.73s full bolt ons against my stock 2010 GT500. From a dig he can pull a car thanks to his 275s to about 50mph. After that i pull easy on his car and after 80 it isn't even a race.

blackvette101

Established Member
I wish I knew why it was so hard for you guys to believe that a '07-'09 GT500 that was a mid to high 12 second car stock was beaten by a middish 12 second 5.0. You pretend like everyone mods the shit out of their car like most people do here. A stock GT500 of that vintage isn't all that quick of a car, sorry.

Ignorance is here everywhere, don't kid yourself. Cars with snake badges on them can actually lose. Shocker, I know, right?

The first gen GT500s were turds stock. I do think a bolton 5.0 could take a first gen GT500. But 2010-12 they are not. My buddy has a 2011 5.0 3.73s full bolt ons against my stock 2010 GT500. From a dig he can pull a car thanks to his 275s to about 50mph. After that i pull easy on his car and after 80 it isn't even a race.

I don't think people were mentioning stock GT500's they were talking about threads where bolt on 5.0 owners beat bolt on GT500's which usually make 100 more rwhp mod for mod. A stock GT500 is not that fast. My 08 when it was stock barely pulled half a car on my brothers 5.0 when all he had was a ford racing tune. He has now since upgraded to a stock 2011 loaded GT500 and he run's even with my shop managers 2013 5.0 w/ intake, BOSS mani, longtubes, tune, exhaust. But according to some on here my intake/pulley/tune GT500 will get shit on by a bolt on 5.0 lmao.

Last edited:

OneSlowV

Established Member
Lol thats funny a full bolt on 5.0. Couldn't even beat my stock 2010 GT500. Now that i own a 5.0 with some mods there is still no way one could beat a GT500.

Poppacapp

Established Member
I don't think people were mentioning stock GT500's they were talking about threads where bolt on 5.0 owners beat bolt on GT500's which usually make 100 more rwhp mod for mod. A stock GT500 is not that fast. My 08 when it was stock barely pulled half a car on my brothers 5.0 when all he had was a ford racing tune. He has now since upgraded to a stock 2011 loaded GT500 and he run's even with my shop managers 2013 5.0 w/ intake, BOSS mani, longtubes, tune, exhaust. But according to some on here my intake/pulley/tune GT500 will get shit on by a bolt on 5.0 lmao.

I am in no way trying to talk down about the 5.0s. But when I was pulley/tune only I had no issues with full bolt on 5.0s. Now let me clarify that... when I say that I dont mean the 5.0s were not fast as hell... its just my pulley/tune setup was faster. They are both awesome cars.The 5.0 starts a little behind the curve being N/A and the 500 has the advantage from the getgo with FI. At the end of the day, the faster car will generally be the one with the better power/weight ratio if the driver can drive the car.

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member

I assumed we were referring to the OP's story where the GT500 was in fact stock and a whole mess of GT500/Terminator owners here felt the need to shit on his story.

Again, he doesn't make any reference to the GT500 being modified here.

At any rate, a race is a race. If we only compared cars based on statistics and dyno sheets, there'd be no point in racing. A win is a win regardless of whether ABC car should have beaten XYZ car. There's a local kid here with a moderately modified '08 GT500 that he can't drive to save his life. It should be well into the 11s but he can't get out of the 13s. If I were to race him and beat him, I guess that's *not* a win? Afterall, his car is supposed to be faster than mine, right?

It's like football, better teams lose to lesser teams all the time. If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Xmas. A win is a win. If we're just comparing the cars' relative power output and declaring a winner based off of that, there's no point in racing in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread