09/11 Anniversary

Prototype007

Established Member
Hard to believe that today makes 13 years ago when these tragic acts took places. What's even harder to believe is how fast those 13 years have went by and how much everything in the world has changed, including ourselves as individuals and a nation. Just think how much your own outlooks and first response actions has changed with aging.

Anyone still remember what they was doing on the day of? I was sitting in my 8th grade Social Studies class and watched the 2nd plane hit.

paluka21

Established Member
Yes, I will never forget that day either. I was headed to my college chemistry class and was listening to the news on the radio. I even remember the drive that day.

jenkins_1120

Established Member
i was in 10th grade typing class when it happend. At that time i dont think i really understood the magnitude of that situation and what it has turned into today.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
I was at home with my wife and youngest son. I remember watching it being broadcast and, as a 2 year LEO, getting the phone call putting me restricted standby. Never will I forget that day.

SVTORANGE

Established Member
I drove to NY that day had to take a coworker home we watched building three go down - I will never forget what I saw and experienced on Sept 11.

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
It was my first year of college. I was in between classes when I heard the news. They shut the campus down and told everyone to go home.

It is still hard to wrap my head around.

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
still remember being going to an 11th grade humanities class when we started hearing reports of what was going on. we turned the tv on just as the first tower fell.

RIP. we will never forget.

Steve@CJPP

Was in bed with the wife on leave from my first 6 month deployment. Got the call from my mother in law that a plane hit the tower, turned on the TV just in time to watch the second plane hit the other tower and then the Pentagon and Flight 93. Moments later my command called to tell me to report first thing the next morning. My daughter (7 at the time) went to school with the base in a relaxed state came home that afternoon to our base housing locked down and MA's in full gear. Trying to find the best way to explain why there were men with guns searching her bus was a very difficult task.

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member
I think I was in 4th/5th grade. I remember waking up to the radio and hearing there were hijacked planes, by the time I got to school the first plane had hit and the rest was history.

Every year it actually sinks in more how much that day changed the world.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Difficult day for me even 13 years later.

I was 25 years old working for an insurance company in upstate, NY on 9/11. Our parent company, AON Corporation, was located in the south tower on the floors above the impact area.

We lost 170+ coworkers that day. I didn't know them all but I talked to many on the phone on a daily basis and met a few in my office. Some of them never had a chance and I still grieve for them to this day. I often wonder how they met their end, did they jump or did they succumb to smoke and fire.

The jumpers bother me the most. I can't imagine how bad it must have been up there for people to make the concious decision to jump 100 stories.

Very difficult time for America and it changed my views on many political issues.

Posted via Topify on Android

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I always get the same feelings when this day comes around. I was 18 and in my first year of college when it happened, in Queens NY. So I saw the panic and chaos first hand and lived it. I will never forget it.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Thought about it when I opened my work email this morning and saw the date. 13 years ago.....I was still off for the summer from OSU and was working for a friends dad doing commercial landscaping. I was blowing the grass off of a guys patio and he opened the door and let all of the grass in. I was looking at him like he was crazy and he waves me in. I point to my grass covered shoes and he says "it doesn't matter! get in here!". Then I saw the tv. I thought he was messing with me and then one of the other guys I work with came around and saw it.....holy shit. I remember it like it happened yesterday.

Sapperstang

Established Member
This day means something different for me than most people. I think this is because I was in the active duty military when it happened. I had just returned from a year in Korea and was home that day to receive my things from overseas. I was waiting on the movers to arrive when my girlfriend got a call from a friend who told her we were under attack. Not believing such a thing I turned on the TV. I figured it must have been an accident and went back to what I was doing. The TV was still on and when the second plane hit I knew it was no accident.

It wasn't long that my unit called me (82nd ABN) and told me to get my ass to the unit area with all my gear. Due to the closing of Bragg's gates backing up traffic it took me several hours to get to my unit. We were all just standing around waiting on somebody to tell us something. Eventually we had a formation where what was known was relayed to us. We were told to go home after that. The next morning it took me 12 hours to get to work due to all the traffic jams caused by closing Ft. Bragg's main gates.

In the weeks following the attacks things definitely took on a different focus with our training. We suddenly had rotations to the National Training Center in S. California among other stuff that was different. We were issued the newest body armor and a few guys from the unit were deployed including a guy in my squad who had useful language skills for the Mideast.

I remember that day as if it happened just last week.

Last edited:

brucesvt

Established Member
09/11/01 is a date that no one will ever forget much like dec. 7th 1941. I still remember getting repeated calls during my early morning math class at college from my parents to see if I was ok. If you ever get to go to NYC please go to the trade center memorial so you can fully understand. When I went I was one of hundreds of people just crying at the site. #neverforget

COBRA97SVT

Established Member
Difficult day for me even 13 years later.

I was 25 years old working for an insurance company in upstate, NY on 9/11. Our parent company, AON Corporation, was located in the south tower on the floors above the impact area.

We lost 170+ coworkers that day. I didn't know them all but I talked to many on the phone on a daily basis and met a few in my office. Some of them never had a chance and I still grieve for them to this day. I often wonder how they met their end, did they jump or did they succumb to smoke and fire.

The jumpers bother me the most. I can't imagine how bad it must have been up there for people to make the concious decision to jump 100 stories.

Very difficult time for America and it changed my views on many political issues.

Posted via Topify on Android

8th grade the tvs didnt work at school so I didnt really know how bad it was. When a buddy and I got home and turned the tv on the first thing we saw was someone jumping. We both were silent and thats what really hit me, I remember everything about that day. The mad run for gas, and just uncertainty in general.

Last edited:

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
I was a freshman getting ready for school when my grandma called. We are on the west coast and she is on the easy coast, and she told us to turn on the TV. All day at school we just watched the news.

low03tb

THUNDER UP!
Established Member
I was in 7th grade (art class) and remember my teacher leaving the classroom, then coming back a few minutes later crying. One of the teachers had her husband or someone close in one of the buildings I believe. Either way, terrible day. I was a little too young to really grasp what was going on and the magnitude of it. I remember they rolled a few tv's into the gym and everyone just sat in there and watched coverage. Mostly for the adults/teachers I'd assume as we didn't really know what was going on

One thing I'll never forget was the OKC bombing. I was in 2nd or 3rd grade...just sitting at one of the desks doing something and the entire building shook. Our elementary school was almost 20 miles away from the site and I remember the thought that went through my head was "what was that!". Another terrible day. Definitely hit home more than 9/11 as there were a lot of people I knew affected by it

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I was in my 9th grade keyboarding class and after this first plane hit the tv went on a very sad day never forget RIP.

Tomm580

Established Member
yes I remember that day..seeing the planes hit...the towers in flames...the people running for their lives...the cloud of dust when they came down..the smell of death and destruction ....running into the chaos with my union ironworker brothers ...looking for survivors...hugging friends that were there and survived and knowing that our lives and the world will never be the same...

Users who are viewing this thread