1/2 Mile Race car prep

99SSls1

Established Member
Ok guys I am posting this over here b/c I see more traffic in the 13/14 then the older gt500 section. What care needs to take place to make sure this event is successful for our gt500's.

Gas? Tire pressure? Air dam removal or adjustment? Is the street tune safe, should I lower the timing? Ice the intercooler/water? What works the best and is safe.

BOSSPOWER

Established Member
This is what i will do the week before;

Check tires (pressures), if bad replace.
New brake fluid and pads.
Check all the suspension, especial the LCA and the UCA...tighten if needed.
Possibly doing the ice tank in the trunk.

Regards,

Manuel

Mach4.6

Established Member
Check your tires for punctures or any obvious defects
Make sure your lugs are torqued
I ran my street tune and Torco tune, no problems
No air dam mods done, car handled fine (2011 GT500 Track Pack)

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm doing a half mile event in December with my gt500, I'm going to change the oil, make sure the suspension looks good and everything is tight make sure tire pressure is set, and I'll be running 100oct.

carguy19

Established Member
For drag guys, I would take off your drag radials and put on the goodyears or another high speed rated tire. The DRs are going to sway at those speeds and arent as safe. Check lugs and pressure 100%. I would run the tire pressure at the max (44lbs) rather then the ford recommended pressure.

Definitely leave the air dam on.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
You forgot large balls :)
Subscribing but I will add you probably should do some datalogging if lots of mod.
I'm a drag guy, but the place to damage hard parts from tune/heat issues is on the top end of the track and 1/2 mile only amplifies this.
-J

carguy19

Established Member
You forgot large balls :)
Subscribing but I will add you probably should do some datalogging if lots of mod.
I'm a drag guy, but the place to damage hard parts from tune/heat issues is on the top end of the track and 1/2 mile only amplifies this.
-J

+1... Staying in the throttle for a car detonating for any reason for 10 seconds in a 1/4 mile vs 20-30 sec for a 1/2 mile is a big difference.

There is so much more breakage in the longer 1/2 and 1 mile events across the board. They are harder on cars. Especially forced induction cars which most cars attending are nowadays.

ThomasL

Established Member
Yeah it's pretty amazing some of the reading up i've done on 1/2 mile and Mile events as far as the prep. You can't just roll out there in 1/4 form and let er rip. Whole different animal.

Roushman

Tampa Whipped and more
Established Member
I'll be there in Ocala. Besides checking basics I'm gonna run what I brung. Simple tune and TB. I've hit 170 a few different times and car handles fine.

BOSSPOWER

Established Member
For drag guys, I would take off your drag radials and put on the goodyears or another high speed rated tire. The DRs are going to sway at those speeds and arent as safe. Check lugs and pressure 100%. I would run the tire pressure at the max (44lbs) rather then the ford recommended pressure.

Definitely leave the air dam on.

1+++

99SSls1

Established Member
We'll I'm actually swapping to nt05's next week. It seems the vette guys are running them up to 180ish and I'm tired of spinning. Should make for a fun 9 hr trip.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I just felt 315 NT05Rs on stock wheels at 160+ and it felt great from the passenger seat :)
-J

Turbo98GT

Mod Motor Mustangs
Established Member
I'm doing the omega next week. I've never had my air dam on, at 170mph, I don't feel its going to do much and I've been 160+ a few times and my car is as stable as can be.

I just ensured I had my alignment adjusted this weekend, tires are all in great shape, suspension is perfect, helmet is still legal, I have all my tools at the track with my jack and jack stands and tools, 10 gallons of fuel cans, and ton of ice. I'll be data logging each run as well. Hopefully the tires want to hook in second or I'll be doing 3rd gear hits.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I just felt 315 NT05Rs on stock wheels at 160+ and it felt great from the passenger seat :)
-J

Lol well we had to show that vette those tail lights, and I have also had them 180+mph, definitely the best tire for are cars.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm doing the omega next week. I've never had my air dam on, at 170mph, I don't feel its going to do much and I've been 160+ a few times and my car is as stable as can be.

I just ensured I had my alignment adjusted this weekend, tires are all in great shape, suspension is perfect, helmet is still legal, I have all my tools at the track with my jack and jack stands and tools, 10 gallons of fuel cans, and ton of ice. I'll be data logging each run as well. Hopefully the tires want to hook in second or I'll be doing 3rd gear hits.

Hell ya man, looking forward to hearing how you do.

ThomasL

Established Member
-J

Those 315s fit the stock 9.5 wheel? I thought just a 305. (yes i've seen all the tire threads, and yes i'm still confused)

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Those 315s fit the stock 9.5 wheel? I thought just a 305. (yes i've seen all the tire threads, and yes i'm still confused)

Yes the 315/35R20 NT05R fit's perfect on the 9.5 inch wheel. I gave biminiLX a ride in my car up to 160 and the car was perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread