1/4 mile times with the Paxton

Sizeth3

Established Member
What tires are you guys running? I ran 11.5 on shitty nitto's before the converter was installed. My 60ft was in the 1.8 range leaving off idle and rolling in gradually. Had I had good tires on that set up I think I could have been lower 11's easy. I have not even launched hard yet with the converter and been 10.80's.

It's not tires my car dead hooks on these crappy 60' times.

Gruca

Established Member
Added the torque booster package from Beefcake. Used the 7psi spring in the waste gate, got it tuned, went to the track and.....ran a ton slower. My 60 is down 1.1 seconds but the car is slower all around otherwise. The smaller pulley was causing knock with the 10psi spring in the waste gate, so my next highest option was 7 psi. No knock there but the car is a lot slower.

Attachments

• 52462487149__E461E0BD-2A93-4DCB-8E82-C15FB53F3549.JPG
    52462487149__E461E0BD-2A93-4DCB-8E82-C15FB53F3549.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:

robrbn

Established Member
Interesting...

Need to throw the 10psi spring back in the wastegate and add some torco and see if you get any knock. Has to be shitty fuel causing the knock. Too many guys on here have added the torque booster w/ 10psi spring and obliterated their previous times at the track.

Pretty sure I remember you saying AED was your tuner - so that's definitely not you problem.

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
If you still have the PCV system connected remove it. That was giving me boost leak through the check valves and pushing oil in my fuel causing me to get a lot of knock.

I agree with robrbn that you should be seeing much better times. Did you re-datalog and send to AED for an updated tune? Do you have data logs we could look at? Reading your datalog would likely point in the right direction...

The 7 psig spring may decrease your topend power though a little. I know with the stock spring I am seeing 8.5-9 psig at 7400 rpms. I do see how that could slightly decrease your top end??

Gruca

Established Member
Interesting...

Need to throw the 10psi spring back in the wastegate and add some torco and see if you get any knock. Has to be shitty fuel causing the knock. Too many guys on here have added the torque booster w/ 10psi spring and obliterated their previous times at the track.

Pretty sure I remember you saying AED was your tuner - so that's definitely not you problem.

Yeah, AED tuning. I'm going to try the 10 psi spring again and datalog to see if it was a fluke.

Gruca

Established Member
If you still have the PCV system connected remove it. That was giving me boost leak through the check valves and pushing oil in my fuel causing me to get a lot of knock.

I agree with robrbn that you should be seeing much better times. Did you re-datalog and send to AED for an updated tune? Do you have data logs we could look at? Reading your datalog would likely point in the right direction...

The 7 psig spring may decrease your topend power though a little. I know with the stock spring I am seeing 8.5-9 psig at 7400 rpms. I do see how that could slightly decrease your top end??

PCV is gone. I have two Bobs separators on the car. I did do datalog a for the new setup. That's when Shaun mentioned the knock and I reduced the spring psi. I still had a small knock with the 7psi spring but it was able to be tuned out.

Without the waste gate setup, I never made it to 8 pounds of boost, so I was a little confused about the times being lower since the boost is maybe half a pound less at the top but 4 pounds higher in the middle. Launches are good though. I was able to get some 1.5 60fts by the end of the night.

Gruca

Established Member
Here is the datalog file with the 10psi spring.

Attachments

• WOT Tq Booster Gruca.csv
    262.5 KB · Views: 151

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
That does look like something I would be concerned with too. Looks like now with the increased boost you need less timing. I have yet to be able to get my timing as high as yours due to knock as well. My last run down the track I was maxing out timing at 14. Slowly going back up with the timing because of knock like you are seeing. You were at 16.5 degrees when the knock came in. Torco and I bet you would be fine even with that timing..

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Added the torque booster package from Beefcake. Used the 7psi spring in the waste gate, got it tuned, went to the track and.....ran a ton slower. My 60 is down 1.1 seconds but the car is slower all around otherwise. The smaller pulley was causing knock with the 10psi spring in the waste gate, so my next highest option was 7 psi. No knock there but the car is a lot slower.

I ran the tq booster on my paxton car and did not like it.

What fuel are you running? Here is your easy path to a 10 sec slip:

1. Install msd 2 step or wot box. This immediately shaved a few 10ths off my 60'.
2. Install 3.6 pulley with no torque booster. Car will make about 9-10 psi and should back half close to 30 mph.

I eventually sold the Paxton set up and went twin turbo, but the Paxton was a solid choice and has more than proven itself on the Coyote platform.

WIST2013GT

Established Member

1. Install msd 2 step or wot box. This immediately shaved a few 10ths off my 60'.
2. Install 3.6 pulley with no torque booster. Car will make about 9-10 psi and should back half close to 30 mph.

I eventually sold the Paxton set up and went twin turbo, but the Paxton was a solid choice and has more than proven itself on the Coyote platform.

Why didnt you like it? Did you run slower? Times? Fuel?

Gruca

Established Member

I'm running 93 octane. I thought about the 2 step and the no lift, but my launches have improved a ton, so I'm not as concerned with that. I was getting 1.5 60ft times last night but only running 11.3@120. Before the tq booster, with a 1.75 60, I was running [email protected]. I'm hoping it was the fuel, but if not I'm putting the non-torque booster setup back on and maybe put a 3.6 pulley on like you mentioned.

robrbn

Established Member
Reason people don't like the Paxton w/ torque booster setup is because they end up with a lot of belt slippage with the 3.33 pulley.

Gruca

Established Member
Reason people don't like the Paxton w/ torque booster setup is because they end up with a lot of belt slippage with the 3.33 pulley.

With the 7psi spring, mine maxes out at 7 and never moves at high rpms. No slipping yet. And this is with the adjustable pulley going from the 2nd hole from the passenger side to the 4th. Also using a 100" gates belt.

Gruca

Established Member
That does look like something I would be concerned with too. Looks like now with the increased boost you need less timing. I have yet to be able to get my timing as high as yours due to knock as well. My last run down the track I was maxing out timing at 14. Slowly going back up with the timing because of knock like you are seeing. You were at 16.5 degrees when the knock came in. Torco and I bet you would be fine even with that timing..

Ran new logs today and knock was gone. I think it may have been the fuel. I put the 10psi spring back in and sent the logs off to Shaun. We'll see tomorrow. Belt might be slipping as I only hit 8-9psi at 7,500rpms.

robrbn

Established Member
Definitely sounds like the belt is slipping. Check for belt dust around the pulleys and timing cover. I know gimmie11s did some extensive testing when he was experiencing belt slippage with his paxton so hopefully he can chime in on some things to try.

Ran new logs today and knock was gone. I think it may have been the fuel. I put the 10psi spring back in and sent the logs off to Shaun. We'll see tomorrow. Belt might be slipping as I only hit 8-9psi at 7,500rpms.

Gruca

Established Member
Definitely sounds like the belt is slipping. Check for belt dust around the pulleys and timing cover. I know gimmie11s did some extensive testing when he was experiencing belt slippage with his paxton so hopefully he can chime in on some things to try.

I'm guessing it's the adjustable pulley placement since I had to move it two spots in. We tried the original and there was no way in hell the belt was going on. Moved it in one spot and it would've been possible to get the belt on, but it was never coming off again without cutting it.

Holovacko

Established Member
My car is in the shop getting Paxton installed, tuned and a few other odds and ends. Should be ready to go by next week. Track times to follow. Will post some vids as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Gruca

Established Member
My car is in the shop getting Paxton installed, tuned and a few other odds and ends. Should be ready to go by next week. Track times to follow. Will post some vids as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Nice! The cars are fast, but the lack of torque makes you question if it really is or not lol. I had to go to the track to make sure.

I just got the tuning on my torque booster setup finished. Now I need to get back to the track and see what happens. I tried with the 7psi spring and the car was a lot slower. Now that the 10psi is back in, I'm excited to see what happens.

scott9050

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Nice! The cars are fast, but the lack of torque makes you question if it really is or not lol. I had to go to the track to make sure.

I just got the tuning on my torque booster setup finished. Now I need to get back to the track and see what happens. I tried with the 7psi spring and the car was a lot slower. Now that the 10psi is back in, I'm excited to see what happens.
I have to agree, just getting some seat time and around town feels normal. Romp on it though and it is a whole different experience.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread