-1 Celcius = Wow.

ESPN8

Established Member
If there was ever a debate about Colder air making more HP , last night for me sealed it .
Outside air was a Cool -1 . I took the car out for an hour or so . Traction was impossible as the tires are too hard .
It feels like it picked up a another 100 hp .When i got home after some real hard runs , the aftercooler tank was still very cold to touch . I may do the same again tonight as the temps are supposed to drop to -5 . I should take some Temp readings of before and after just to see if they remain the same or even drop .
How would / does the computer respond to these types of temps ?

MVD

Established Member

The computer doesn't need to "respond" to anything particular, it keeps functioning the same if it were 110* or 10*. It reads from the sensors and adjusts to the appropriate A/F ratio (in closed loop of course). The car feels stronger because cool air is more dense, which means more oxygen molecules. More oxygen = more power.

Last edited:

sharke

Established Member
The computer doesn't need to "respond" to anything particular, it keeps functioning the same if it were 110* or 10*. It reads from the sensors and adjusts to the appropriate A/F ratio (in closed loop of course). The car feels stronger because cool air is more dense, which means more oxygen molecules. More oxygen = more power.

If IATs continue to read low the computer doesn't pull timing.

Leonard 95

Established Member
Just be careful, if your running stock goodjunks they are worthless in the cold. I hit 3rd gear when I had stock gear around 90mph and the car went sideways real bad, made me pucker up real quick.

MVD

Established Member
If IATs continue to read low the computer doesn't pull timing.

Even with high IAT's the car will not pull timing under normal operation. That happens when IAT2's are over 150*, which only happens after repeated WOT pulls on an aggressively pullied car.

You could make WOT pull after pull in an OEM vehicle and practically never hit 150* downstream temps.

Last edited:

09Troublemaker

" That don't sound stock"
Established Member
Just be careful, if your running stock goodjunks they are worthless in the cold. I hit 3rd gear when I had stock gear around 90mph and the car went sideways real bad, made me pucker up real quick.

X2 I remember banging some gears in January and the same thing
happened. My wife all most had a heart attack..............

ESPN8

Established Member
Just got back in from a drive. You,re right . Stock Goodyears are worthless in this cold weather . Punch the gas even with my low 478 hp in 3rd and 4th results in severe tire spin .
Makes we wonder if anyone has tried the Killer Chiller i saw advertised in MMFF magazine .

rdsnk46

Established Member
Get an Aero-Force gauge you can read all your OBD-2's in the car while you ride down the road. IAT-1, IAT-2, Head temp, coolant and like 40 others. What ever you want!

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
Get an Aero-Force gauge you can read all your OBD-2's in the car while you ride down the road. IAT-1, IAT-2, Head temp, coolant and like 40 others. What ever you want!

Im sure that is the best route but are there any other options?
I want to see what the car computer is seeing. Since its getting kinda colder now.
But I dont want to put a guage pod in.

So is my best bet to buy a scan guage and let it sit in the cup holder?
OR
Do they make a handheld decives that you can plug in and mount to dash kinda like a GPS or even something I could hook up to my factory touchscreen navigation (Now that would be cool).

Thanks,
Justin

EDIT: Found this. Maybe some who is more comp inclined can figure out how it connects.

http://devtoaster.com/products/rev/

Last edited:

kent1

Established Member
If there was ever a debate about Colder air making more HP , last night for me sealed it .
Outside air was a Cool -1 . I took the car out for an hour or so . Traction was impossible as the tires are too hard .
It feels like it picked up a another 100 hp .When i got home after some real hard runs , the aftercooler tank was still very cold to touch . I may do the same again tonight as the temps are supposed to drop to -5 . I should take some Temp readings of before and after just to see if they remain the same or even drop .

Put a 2.6 pulley on that bad boy plus the cold air and you will see and feel the difference. I am from Louisiana and it does not get that cold down here. When the temperature is in the low sixty's or fifty's the car is an animal to drive. It seems to pick up 20 or 30 horsepower-simply amazing. :coolman:

DutyCalls

Established Member

Where about are you in northern ontario...i'm from north bay

ESPN8

Established Member
Where about are you in northern ontario...i'm from north bay
3.5 hours North of you , in Timmins . We hit -12 here last night , sure sign winters on the way . I took the car out when it was -2 , i checked the Aftercooler tank after driving for over an hour , fluid was dead cold to the touch .

chuckstang

Established Member
No offense but you are asking for disaster if you are driving in those temps with the stock tires.

You also feel like you have 100 more hp because you have zero traction

You really have probably an extra 15-25rwhp

ESPN8

Established Member
No offense but you are asking for disaster if you are driving in those temps with the stock tires.

You also feel like you have 100 more hp because you have zero traction

You really have probably an extra 15-25rwhp
Point taken but i don,t think its any worse than driving in the rain with Drag radials .
Just wanted to see how much of an effect cold temps really do have on a SC car .

chuckstang

Established Member
Point taken but i don,t think its any worse than driving in the rain with Drag radials .
Just wanted to see how much of an effect cold temps really do have on a SC car .

I know, just dont get killed buddy

The tires are beyond dangers in cold temps, and very difficult to recover once they spin as well

I have spun mine, lesson learned, wont do that again!

ESPN8

Established Member
I know, just dont get killed buddy

The tires are beyond dangers in cold temps, and very difficult to recover once they spin as well

I have spun mine, lesson learned, wont do that again!
I fully understand about trying to control a vehicle when the tires are spinning . We drive in Snow and severe cold for about 4 to 5 months of the year up here . You learn lots about driving in extreme weather and , mostly , Tires and traction .

Users who are viewing this thread