10.8@127mph - 4200lbs race weight

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I buy toys in cash. You guys financing toys will have buyers remorse. Been there, learned from it.

Speed parts are toys. Good news is now that I’m 30, I also buy all my things in cash. Once I pay off business debt and the home, never getting a loan again. Dave Ramsey is right, you’re a slave to the lender, and even with fam turkey dinner doesn’t taste the same when you owe that family member cash.

Buying a car on a loan is great if you want to be close to broke all your life. I know people making 2-3 times what I make and they ask me for money because they are broke. Funny how the conspiracy cash guy has the tech and college guys asking me for money.

Spoken like a true SVTP'er. ROFL.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
What are you smoking sir. No, you are wrong and should be notified of this mistake.

A pulley was and still is $80-200, a belt is $30, and a handheld programmer is $299-500. That easily can be done for $500.

To further add insult to your proposal, slp had the 575hp package for $1500 with catback, xpipe, handheld, pulley, cai, maf, and stickers. Easily 475whp.

My combo with those type of bolt ons made 476whp on a cold winter day and later 485whp on a hot summer day with additionally an accufab throttle body, spec stage 3+, switch to sct etc.

The internet is now fixed, your welcome for correcting your mistaken accord of the past good sir, no ill will towards your or yours on this lovely Valentine’s Day. Hearts and hugs to you.

Also the KB bap isn’t needed until 550whp. Even ported Eaton’s run stock pumps.

$5k in a terminator can get you an unreliable/unsafe 700whp ie used tvs, bap, 50 dry shot, bolt ons tune
Go Reread what I said.

You are contradicting yourself. Guy claimed $500 would get you 700whp... It won't.

$500 buys you a hand held, you just said that your self. You then list a bunch of other mods to get a 476whp number... Once again, supporting thr notion that $500 does not get you 700whp, and it can only get you 450whp on a very very bargain hunters budget.

LostM

Established Member
Today, its a dumb move NOT to finance a new mustang if youre in the market.

i was talking about financing the extra 30k for higher models, over just financing a base and paying out of pocket, if the goal is 9 seconds

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
i was talking about financing the extra 30k for higher models, over just financing a base and paying out of pocket, if the goal is 9 seconds
Why buy a new car at all then?

Buy a SN95, a 5.3, built Power glide, built 9" and a +90mm turbo.

8's all day for under $20k. Buy used parts and save more.

LostM

Established Member
Why buy a new car at all then?

Buy a SN95, a 5.3, built Power glide, built 9" and a +90mm turbo.

8's all day for under $20k. Buy used parts and save more.

because thats an strwman argument. were talking about the same years, same body, same tech , 90% the same, except for the addition of extra horsepower.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
im not sure im following you correctly, are saying it is wise to finance an EXTRA 40k over 7 years at 3.9% ? im not saying dont finance a car, im saying the extra 30-40k (depending on which model) to get a "9 second car)" is ridiculous. be it GT or base challenger, your a retard if your ok with taking on that much debt just to hit 9s streetable.

you dont need a performance pack, because your going to mod it soon anyway. add the tech stuff and your set, 38k

nicely option GT is 38k nicely option hellcat is 76k demon 93k. all can run 9s with some boost and auto and tires. nobody said you had mod the base cars immediately, or if you cant afford to mod it immediately, you probably shouldnt be trying to justify using a CC to get 9s, vs financing 40k over 7 years in either case, and probably why you cant mod the GT/Base car with cash in the 1st place lol

its not like we cant look at the numbers.. 37,750 + 4649 in interest... "but but but, its the boomers generation that screwed us over"

x100

My 2018 301a GT was ~34k once negotiations were done. Paid cash for my twin turbo set up and all mods. The car has gone 10.5@139 with 7-8 psi leaving off the footbrake with a 1.8x 60 foot. Sooooooooooo much more in it even at this boost level.

It'll trap near 150s with real boost pressure (14 psi or so) and some better technique in the first half of the track.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
because thats an strwman argument. were talking about the same years, same body, same tech , 90% the same, except for the addition of extra horsepower.
No, your talking New vs New +Modified.

Okay, buy an FRS for $25k, sell the powertrain for $7k, then drop in a 5.3, Powerglide and turbo. Run 8's.

Why by a Z06 over a Stingray? A GT over an Ecoboost? Raptor over 2.7?

My94GT

Established Member
x100

My 2018 301a GT was ~34k once negotiations were done. Paid cash for my twin turbo set up and all mods. The car has gone 10.5@139 with 7-8 psi leaving off the footbrake with a 1.8x 60 foot. Sooooooooooo much more in it even at this boost level.

It'll trap near 150s with real boost pressure (14 psi or so) and some better technique in the first half of the track.

How much total do you have into yours now and was it all purchased new?

Don’t get me wrong guys I fully understand the savings overall in building, I’ve done it before. For me I’m just at a point in my life where I want turn key fun with no need to add or change anything. There is a price to be paid for that and I’m ok with it, just like many are ok with paying an ADM and I refuse to do that.

We’re all fools spending money on cars that could be better spent elsewhere I’m sure but it’s all part of this hobby passion whatever you call it of ours.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

Okay, buy an FRS for $25k, sell the powertrain for $7k, then drop in a 5.3, Powerglide and turbo. Run 8's.

LOL.

A base Mustang will always be just a base Mustang! That's the argument and i agree to a point. That point is, "it depends on what you want to do with the car".

If you want resale value, you obviously buy a GT500 over a Mustang GT.

If you want to simply crack 9's, you buy the cheapest Mustang GT you can get and go get it on the cheap.

But then we are back to the "why not buy a $500 Honda Prelude and throw $10k at it to run 9's".

Don’t get me wrong guys I fully understand the savings overall in building, I’ve done it before. For me I’m just at a point in my life where I want turn key fun with no need to add or change anything. There is a price to be paid for that and I’m ok with it, just like many are ok with paying an ADM and I refuse to do that.

We’re all fools spending money on cars that could be better spent elsewhere I’m sure but it’s all part of this hobby passion whatever you call it of ours.

All fair points. Definitely something to be said for simply turning the key and unleashing brute factory power.

My turbo kit, fueling, 3" exhaust was all bought new. I have under $6k into the whole thing. Rear DRs were left over from other projects as were the Tial products (WG's and BOV) in my turbo kit.

My94GT

Established Member
LOL.

A base Mustang will always be just a base Mustang! That's the argument and i agree to a point. That point is, "it depends on what you want to do with the car".

If you want resale value, you obviously buy a GT500 over a Mustang GT.

If you want to simply crack 9's, you buy the cheapest Mustang GT you can get and go get it on the cheap.

But then we are back to the "why not buy a $500 Honda Prelude and throw $10k at it to run 9's".

All fair points. Definitely something to be said for simply turning the key and unleashing brute factory power.

My turbo kit, fueling, 3" exhaust was all bought new. I have under $6k into the whole thing. Rear DRs were left over from other projects as were the Tial products (WG's and BOV) in my turbo kit.

Not bad at all! If I had more time on my hands and wanted to build something a bit, a loaded GT or even a used GT350 with a TT kit sure would be hard to say no to.

1FASFKR

Established Member
These guys have pretty much explained the difference.

Powdered forged vs how manly forged (I believe drop but the data escapes my mind) is a huge difference, as is Chinese metal vs American metal.

China allows dirty metal and also literally makes employees crawl sometimes down the street if they miss sales goals. This isn’t a steel company, it’s a cosmetics company, but ya this is ridiculous.

View attachment 1546267

Check out the smog. They need the New Green Deal asap.

Curt@injected

When the Terminators came out, there were guys that dumped $500 into it and had a 700rwhp monster (which, at the time, was pretty special). The terminators were easily a top 3 tuner car of all time. I'd rank it right there with the Grand Nationals and the Dodge SRT-4 in terms of "upside." Those were all cars that had MASSIVE post dealer potential to increase performance for very little money/effort. Basically you had a baby beast waiting to be let out.

The entire point is that the GT500 will be SOMEWHAT like that, although I think the new motor is much more advanced in terms of how much power and torque it wrings out. Nonetheless, Ford will "detune" it for warranty and reliability purposes. Within a few months, there'll be guys who remove that slack and run an even bigger monster of a car.

The point I was trying to make is that some cars have big upside and big value (i.e. how much car you can end up with for a certain amount of money) and some cars do not. The Hellcat/Demon has VERY LITTLE upside. Why? Because even if you add 200 rwhp to it, it's still a 4500 lb pig.

Now, the one area that I think will greatly diminish the value/upside of the new 500 is the price. My PERSONAL opinion is that Ford will not cannibalize GT350 sales and will not seek to directly compete with that price point. I'm thinking the base GT500 starts at somewhere around $80k+ MSRP (and ends up near the 6 figure mark with ADMs) and the carbon fiber track pack STARTS somewhere near the 6 figure mark (before dealer raping).

IF that's the case, the 500 comes back down to Earth in terms of value. Are you getting a lot of car and potential? Surely. But you're also paying out the ass for it too.

This is why I think IF your goal is to drive a car that goes fast in a straight line, a car like the camaro or the mustang GT is a MUCH MUCH better value than the Mopars. Why? Because you can buy the car, add what you need and at the end of the day, not only have a car that goes FASTER in a straight line, it'll be a car that outperforms in nearly every other category AND it'll cost less to get there (in some cases, MUCH MUCH less).

This is EXACTLY the reason why Mopar guys cling to the word stock. Because as an aftermarket car or an absolute what's the fastest, it can't compete. It HAS to be judged on a "stock" basis for it to retain it's value proposition. Any modding quickly exposes just how overpriced it is for the performance (narrow and one dimensional) you get.

So as not to have their ego and feelings hurt, Mopar guys insist on comparing the car stock v stock. But that's not reality and that's not the street strip. At the end of the race, few people give more than 0.0 ****s whether your car is stock. No one cares whether or not you paid a fortune either, but the point is cars like the camaro and the mustang GT put extreme level performance WITHIN reach of the average Joe. Hellcats and Demons less so and in my opinion, that's the one achilles heel of this whole argument. The GT500 will be a better car, but it will also cost a bloody fortune.

Exactly how big a nitrous shot are we spraying on this thing dry without tuning to make 700 whp with $500? Once?

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Spoken like a true SVTP'er. ROFL.

Paid off debt after debt the last two years and going bam bam bam bam through it. I got disgusted of my financial standings and took a stand. Go read up on Dave Ramsey. Guy is smart, he’s on the radio every weeknight also do these SVTPers you speak of bring in $90k+ after tax and put it all towards debt after living expenses while wearing sneakers with holes, daily driving 10-20year old vehicles and cooking their own dinner every night? If they don’t then tell em to get on my level. Live like no one else today so you can live and give like no one else tomorrow.

Go Reread what I said.

You are contradicting yourself. Guy claimed $500 would get you 700whp... It won't.

$500 buys you a hand held, you just said that your self. You then list a bunch of other mods to get a 476whp number... Once again, supporting thr notion that $500 does not get you 700whp, and it can only get you 450whp on a very very bargain hunters budget.

I agree guys was way off.

You were off though that it takes all those mods you said for 450whp. Pulley, maf, cai, handheld and a belt gets 450+ for under $500. Don’t need the name brand cai etc. It can cost $1500 if you buy fancy though.

$500 can buy you the newest handheld, back then $169 bought you a diablosport which was all you needed.

Didn’t contradict anything. Your assuming the most expensive parts, that’s not what people buy though em mass.

Re read my post, you’ll see where you jumped the gun, and where you over quoted the easy mods for 450whp. I quoted you because you implied it takes exhaust and so on to hit maybe 450whp for $xxxx’s of money. It just doesn’t.

Happy vday, not riding you but you’re exaggerating. He was exaggerating the other way that 700whp is possible for $500.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Exactly how big a nitrous shot are we spraying on this thing dry without tuning to make 700 whp with $500? Once?

Amateurs don’t use nitrous oxide, but winnings winning. Doesn’t matter if you win by an inch or a mile.

My bet? The magic 300 dryshot. Ain’t nothing like a 300 dry shot on a stock cobra, it’s what all the cool kids run

(Total sarcasm, I completely agree with you)

LostM

Established Member

no, im talking new vs new+modifed that cant be done otherwise

base GT vs base challenger to get to "demon" performance 1/4 mile
base GT Vs base challenger vs base GT500 to get to "demon" performance 1/4 mile
base GT vs base challenger vs base GT500 to get to 'demon" performance road course

the 350/500 have enough unobtainable differences to warrant a higher price tag. things that the aftermarket cannot do better, nore more affordably

i agree, but the cost difference, is too high on most cars, ford and GM can demand higher prices because of what i already stated above. for dodge, it make 0 sense to me. which again, is why they cling to that word "STOCK"

the cars will soon be out of warranty anyway, so "warrantied" argument only goes so far.

40k additonal price tag+5k in interest or 10k in aftermarket parts, and continue to be smart and keep some money on the side to handle any out of warranty issues. 9s isnt hard, throw a whipple, some fuel, tune it, and tires. bang, done

My94GT

Established Member

base GT vs base challenger vs base GT500 to get to 'demon" performance road course

the 350/500 have enough unobtainable differences to warrant a higher price tag. things that the aftermarket cannot do better, nore more affordably

i agree, but the cost difference, is too high on most cars, ford and GM can demand higher prices because of what i already stated above. for dodge, it make 0 sense to me. which again, is why they cling to that word "STOCK"

I think they just do it because idiots like me are willing to pay the price LOL.

Really though from what you’ve said we’re in a similar area or roughly similar buying area (I’m in MD outside of hunt valley) people just seem to line up to piss money away. I’ve already talked to friends at a large local ford dealer and they are expecting 20-30k msrp on GT500s which I have no doubt will sell like hot cakes though haha.

Me however I’m younger and just started a family, bought a house and bought two new cars in the past year. I’ll be sitting on the sideline for at least a year to watch prices then I’ll truly decide if I go with a Hellcat varient (likely Redeye) or of o could spring for a GT500. As much as I long for a viper I’d want something with at least a small back seat so my wife and son can ride in as well.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Paid off debt after debt the last two years and going bam bam bam bam through it. I got disgusted of my financial standings and took a stand. Go read up on Dave Ramsey. Guy is smart, he’s on the radio every weeknight also do these SVTPers you speak of bring in $90k+ after tax and put it all towards debt after living expenses while wearing sneakers with holes, daily driving 10-20year old vehicles and cooking their own dinner every night? If they don’t then tell em to get on my level. Live like no one else today so you can live and give like no one else tomorrow.

Im familiar with Dave Ramsey. Im just not willing to live in poverty for 3-5 years to make it happen LOL.

Also...$90k is a great salary for a young guy like you so congrats.

My94GT

Established Member
Im familiar with Dave Ramsey. Im just not willing to live in poverty for 3-5 years to make it happen LOL.

Also...$90k is a great salary for a young guy like you so congrats.

Yea 3-5 years is a huge chunk of time to be living like you’re broke. I’d rather liver with in my means as I do currently and not have to daily a beater or worn busted shoes etc.

Obviously people shouldn’t carry credit debt, but a 10-12 year plan to pay off say a house loan isn’t a hateful choice.

LostM

Established Member
I think they just do it because idiots like me are willing to pay the price LOL.

Really though from what you’ve said we’re in a similar area or roughly similar buying area (I’m in MD outside of hunt valley) people just seem to line up to piss money away. I’ve already talked to friends at a large local ford dealer and they are expecting 20-30k msrp on GT500s which I have no doubt will sell like hot cakes though haha.

Me however I’m younger and just started a family, bought a house and bought two new cars in the past year. I’ll be sitting on the sideline for at least a year to watch prices then I’ll truly decide if I go with a Hellcat varient (likely Redeye) or of o could spring for a GT500. As much as I long for a viper I’d want something with at least a small back seat so my wife and son can ride in as well.

i hear ya, the badge/ego goes a long way in buying things. I think we are local, im familair with the hunt valley horsepower group as well. And same thing, i have racercars, but to buy a nice big new house, i had to sell all my shit, and start over, so your doing it right. now i want a weekend car that has a backseat for the same reason as you.

From VA-NY, every dealer has told me 20-30k over. im offering 5+ other incentives, at this point id take even 10k, if its the true 1st allocation.
but to me, the ONLY reason 350/500 is on the table is because it absolutely cannot be replicated for less $ ( + a small amount of the styling).

tons of friends are "bro, just get a GT and mod it". but thats not happening, the combination this car has is unique

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member

You are not making any sense.

Like what? We're not talking about a 370Z vs GTR. Nothing on either car can't be replicated by using a GT. You may not have a stupid DCT or 5.2, but all other metrics will be matched. Your not realistically converting a Z34 into an Awd supercar.

the cars will soon be out of warranty anyway, so "warrantied" argument only goes so far.

Soooo your argument isn't about Modified vs Stock Performance... Its you hate Mopar and think thr Demon is a waste of money?

Well they only made a handful of Demons and sold them for one year. It's a rare novelty car with tons of just cool marketing and trinkets - like thr crate. The everyman can now buy a Redeye or 1320.

Dodge is doing thr best they can given their situation and I applaud them for that. They struggled for resources to put out the new Ram, and they haven't had money to update the LX Platform. They'd LOVE to build a 3500lb more sports car nimble Challenger, they just don't have the capital.

My only gripe with them is the lack of effort in beefing up the internals on the 5.7 and 6.4 short blocks. Thats the real problem Fords short blocks sucked all the way up to the Coyote and with each Yote generation got better.

GM's LS/LQ engines have continued to get better and you can grab a ho-hum 5.3 and boost it to 600whp all day. You blow apart pistons and rods on the Hemis at those power levels and that really sucks. That's a major hold back to making the RT and SCAT anything but a cruiser or "should have just bought a Hellcat".

Users who are viewing this thread