100meg of internet? How long will it last?

joemayo

Established Member
At the school I'm attending in South Africa they have wireless internet but I guess they somehow can monitor it and charge you for every 100meg.. Anybody have a clue how long 100meg will last if I'm not watching youtube type stuff and just chating online and emails?

NyteByte

Pro-Freedom
Established Member
I've been on line now for about 15 minutes and all I did was check my e-mail and surfed SVTP for a bit. My bandwidth usage for that 15 minutes was 30MB.

So figure maybe an hour or more before you hit 100MB. Since most Web sites are pretty media rich these days, my guess is that it's the graphics which cause you to rack up the miles quickly.

You might try turning off the graphics and other media to reduce the amount of data you transfer. Here's how to do it in Internet Explorer:

1. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.

2. In the Internet Options dialog box, click the Advanced tab.

3. In the Settings box, scroll down to the Multimedia section. Clear the following boxes.

• a. Play animations in Web pages

• b. Play sounds in Web pages

• c. Play videos in Web pages

• d. Show pictures

4. Click Apply.

txyaloo

Established Member
you are being charged for the amount of internet you use?

That's quite common in less developed areas due to the high cost of bandwidth. It's even fairly common in Europe except with higher limits.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
you are being charged for the amount of internet you use?
My son is currently stationed at Al Asad AB in Iraq. He has Wi-Fi in his quarters. Pays $60 a month for it and his daily bandwidth is limited too! :nonono:

Sucks when we want to send pictures or videos to each other...

U.M.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
That's quite common in less developed areas due to the high cost of bandwidth. It's even fairly common in Europe except with higher limits.

My son is currently stationed at Al Asad AB in Iraq. He has Wi-Fi in his quarters. Pays $60 a month for it and his daily bandwidth is limited too! :nonono:

Sucks when we want to send pictures or videos to each other...

U.M.

dang, that could get expensive....kinda like prepaid cell phones....a big croc!

Users who are viewing this thread