10R80 shifting into drive issues?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
My wife has an 18 ecoboost car with the 10spd auto and the issue seems to be getting worse.

At first if the car was cold and you back out of the driveway it would frequently bang into drive, there would be a delay and then when it engaged the gear the car would jump forward. If she remote starts the car and lets it warm up 5-10 minutes it isn't so bad. Then it became a mix of it would either bang into drive or act like it was in neutral, you bump the gas and go nowhere. You let the car sit a second and you can feel it drop into gear then it'll go.

Well last week we drove 30 minutes across town, had to turn around somewhere and when I put it from reverse into drive it acted like it was in neutral again. I sat there a couple seconds and it finally dropped into gear.

Is there any kind of known fix for this - not sure if it could just be a reflash issue or something mechanical

The dealer I use for most of my stuff specializes in trucks, doesnt even sell cars. I had them look up the vin# and they don't see anything showing it needs an update but not sure if maybe they've just missed something.

@13COBRA

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That is extremely odd. I haven't had any issues with the 10 speed. Does she normally use the "S" mode?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
That is extremely odd. I haven't had any issues with the 10 speed. Does she normally use the "S" mode?

never

Im probably the only person that has ever taken the car out of the default drive mode.

The bitch of the problem with this thing is that I can't always reproduce it. The outside temp isn't a guarantee it'll happen, it doesn't always do it the first drive of the day and now it's sometimes doing it at full temp.

Maybe I'll disconnect the battery and see what happens

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
never

Im probably the only person that has ever taken the car out of the default drive mode.

The bitch of the problem with this thing is that I can't always reproduce it. The outside temp isn't a guarantee it'll happen, it doesn't always do it the first drive of the day and now it's sometimes doing it at full temp.

Maybe I'll disconnect the battery and see what happens

Trade it ;)

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

she would gladly trade it for a GT but I'd have to pay for that shit so for now, I dont think so lol. She's had 2 new cars since I got my F150, it's my turn now and I see Raptors going for under MSRP

If I have to I'll just floor that bitch every time I put in drive and see what happens, hopefully it'll do its best 460LE impression

again, I'll try the whole unhooking the battery thing if that'll reset the trans memory

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
she would gladly trade it for a GT but I'd have to pay for that shit so for now, I dont think so lol. She's had 2 new cars since I got my F150, it's my turn now and I see Raptors going for under MSRP

If I have to I'll just floor that bitch every time I put in drive and see what happens, hopefully it'll do its best 460LE impression

again, I'll try the whole unhooking the battery thing if that'll reset the trans memory

I just had one for $2k under...

But with that rumor floating around of the last Gen II Raptors getting the GT500 drivetrain, I would hold out.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I just had one for $2k under...

But with that rumor floating around of the last Gen II Raptors getting the GT500 drivetrain, I would hold out.

I wouldnt be surprised if they offered something but I have a hard time buying it getting the GT500 powerplant. Even if it does 1 - good lord how much is that option gonna up the price - another 15k? I think at that point I stop being able to justify it and putting a TVS on a lariat with a coyote is more likely. 2 - unless someone like you gets enough orders we'll never find one without a huge ADM which I refuse to pay. Lastly who knows how the hell long we'll have to wait to get a confirmation on it while I keep hoping my first gen ecoboost stays together.

That news coming out I wish I had been able to pull the trigger last year and not be in this boat lol. Maybe it'll tank the used market on ecoboost Raptors?

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Take it to a regular Ford dealer and have them reflash. I believe their were some update flashes for the 10R80 also.

Users who are viewing this thread