10W30 Motor Oil In A Cobra

REPCobra10

Established Member
Is this ok to do or not recommended? A buddy of mine has used this weight and I wasn't sure what to tell him :shrug: What do you guys think?

Charles236

Established Member
It isn't the weight recommended by the manual, but it should work fine, especially in the warmer climates. I'm planning to go to 5w30 or 10w30 on my next oil change, so I'll see exactly what effects the slightly higher viscosity oil has on my engine.

cobra12003

Established Member
The higher # 30 is ok ,but be aware that the 5 is used because of the tight tolerances the engine is built to, which the motor needs thin oil on cold starts to lube good while cold. At what temp. will it effect motor??

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I can't imagine any problems in Florida with that weight. I run either 5w30 or 10w30 Royal Purple here in Houston because it just never gets that cold.

The 10 in 10w30 is the cold flow number, if you were seeing temps in the 20s I'd tell you to run 5w30 or 5w20.

It takes more Viscosity Improvers(VI) to obtain the larger spans of oil vis. IE: 15w40 or 10w40 for example. VIs are very sensitive to heat and shear(they are a huge molecule). There is also the quality of the additives to consider, cheap VIs break down easier than expensive ones(or so I've read).

When I'm running at an open track event I run the 10w30 street RP... because the racing version of the Royal Purple is a tad too expensive for me.

Your mileage may vary...

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
the only reason Ford says to use 5W20 is for better fuel economy. I personally like the extra lubrication properties of the 30 wt oil, so will continue to use Mobil1 10W30 in all my vehicles..

REPCobra10

Established Member
Thanks for the input and advice guys! It sounds like he'll be ok running 10W30 down here in SoFla. So, 10W30 provides a little better lubrication? If that's true than I don't see why I shouldn't use the same. Anyways, thanks again guys. All, take it easy.

grnenvy

Established Member
Unless your going to keep the car over 100,000 miles oil is oil. With the ubuse we put on these cars you will either blow it up first or get something new. regular oil 10-30 is fine. LOLOL

Users who are viewing this thread