1200WHP with VMP 2.65

4VandHemiKiller

Established Member

upload_2019-6-1_13-27-27.png

The butthurt is obvious

4VandHemiKiller

Established Member
I fixed the gt500 remorse when I bought the 2018.

Next?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

And yet here you are on a GT500 forum, being butthurt over a GT500.

It seems to me your words don’t match your actions.
It seems there are some things you still need settle with yourself, and this 2650 GT500 has made you recognize your automotive downgrade.

Gen 3 5.0 buyers remorse, it’s a thing.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
And yet here you are on a GT500 forum, being butthurt over a GT500.

It seems to me your words don’t match your actions.
It seems there are some things you still need settle with yourself, and this 2650 GT500 has made you recognize your automotive downgrade.

Gen 3 5.0 buyers remorse, it’s a thing.

Youre about as sharp as a marble.

Talk to me when that turd of a vette of yours goes 150mph on 12 psi. I wont wait.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Nothing about the combo is max effort. The heads aren’t max effort, just Ron Robart’s standard GT port with stock valves - 350/300. Not his large port/+2mm 390/350 heads.

Stock cube, stock crank, iron block, 10:7:1.

The combo is pretty basic, just pretty well matched at this point.

What does a max like effort combo look like?

Sleeved 5.8 block - O-ringed and dry decked, ~400 cfm heads, billet crank that allows 8000+ rpm operation, more cam (than Cody has) to match that RPM, cut and ported supercharger, 13:1 CR or better on methanol. That’s closer to what max effort looks like.
Trust me, I know what max effort builds are like, and yes, similar to what you’ve mentioned with the sleeved 5.8 comment. BUT, and it’s a huge but, in that we’re talking a maxed Gen3 5.4 street strip combo.
In that context (streetable iron block 5.4), yes his combo is a maxed Gen 3 TVS combo.
I mean you’re talking 25-26psi. Show me another TVS2650 combo at that much boost.
So, again, we all respect and are giving props to this build, but at the same time realistically recognizing it’s on the maximum potential of a street/strip Gen 3 5.4 GT500.
I don’t really understand the argument.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
It’s not splitting hairs, there’s just a difference between a fairly basic,
matched rod/piston/H/C combo and a true max effort combo.

There will eventually be a ceiling imposed by the engine’s architecture.
The point I am making is that Cody’s combo is not a max effort combo even within the context of the 5.4/5.8 GT500 engine platform. To me, max effort means max effort, not simply built
or modified.

“Max effort” often gets thrown around to imply there is nothing more to be had. That isn’t the case here.
Again, yes it is close to a max effort build for the platform. You obviously recognize it also as you mention the platform and we both know anything 5.4/5.8 at or above 1200hp needs an aftermarket crank.
So again, for an iron block, stock crank 5.4 running a Gen 3 TVS at 25-26#, you’re pretty much tapped out.
If he wants more, what would he need?
-J

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
VMP just needs to figure out how to
For every 1 of the VMP monos that are working I'm guessing there are 10 that aren't. Myself and several others received the "revised" version of the VMP 160 a couple weeks ago and none of them work, they all failsafe when hot. That's what Catmonkey means by "usable".
Yup, VMP needs to stop worrying about how to make the Gen3 bigger and make the 160 and 173 work correctly. I'm really hoping that Justin can tune the 160 on my car but I don't have much faith in that T/B.

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
Again, yes it is close to a max effort build for the platform. You obviously recognize it also as you mention the platform and we both know anything 5.4/5.8 at or above 1200hp needs an aftermarket crank.
So again, for an iron block, stock crank 5.4 running a Gen 3 TVS at 25-26#, you’re pretty much tapped out.
-J

No, it isn’t. Again, take the last combo I laid out and drop the compression ratio. That is what a true max effort “Street/Strip” combo looks like.

You specifically asked me to tell you what max effort build looks like, I obliged. It doesn’t look like Cody’s build, which left quite a bit on the table due to expedience and budget.

Remember this?
Please enlighten us on a max effort 5.4 TVS2650 Street/strip build.
-J

A Max effort 5.4 build includes a sleeved/o-ringed aluminum block, billet crank, more cylinder head, more cam, more port work, more RPM. Cody’s build isn’t a “max effort 5.4 TVS2650 Street/Strip build” by any objective measure.

-J

If he wants more, he would need an actual max effort build.

Last edited:

4VandHemiKiller

Established Member
Youre about as sharp as a marble.

Talk to me when that turd of a vette of yours goes 150mph on 12 psi. I wont wait.

Project Buyers Remorse went 150? That’s surprising... your general high levels of saltiness on a GT500 forum seems more like a guy stuck in 10s at about 145 with an auto twin turbo car

Pushing a 12:1 sbe to 12 psi? Speaking of maxed out...

69b302

Established Member
Nowhere near a max effort build, 25-26 psi through the pull

Agreed, the sky is the limit for a true Max effort build, and one would likely not use a PD blower for that goal. I did say “more of a max effort”, recognizing you are clearly not there. I was just pointing out that the average guy that bolts on a Gen 3 is not going to get even close to 1200 whp. You had also said this was done on conservative 19 degrees timing, wonder what it would do at 24? Was there a reason the timing was held back??

CD07GT500

Klaus's Bitch
Established Member
-J
I could get 75+ out out of the iron block/stock crank/current cams combo :)

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
Agreed, the sky is the limit for a true Max effort build, and one would likely not use a PD blower for that goal. I did say “more of a max effort”, recognizing you are clearly not there. I was just pointing out that the average guy that bolts on a Gen 3 is not going to get even close to 1200 whp. You had also said this was done on conservative 19 degrees timing, wonder what it would do at 24? Was there a reason the timing was held back??

The timing was held back because we
honestly weren’t chasing a dyno number.
19 deg was nice and safe on the plug, so we called it a day. Going by the plug, it could have taken another 2-3* before the timing mark neared the bend but there was no point in pushing it, the combo already exceeded expectations.

Cody said later this year after some inlet upgrades, 3.73s and cooler weather it might go back on the dyno for a glory pull.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
No, it isn’t. Again, take the last combo I laid out and drop the compression ratio. That is what a true max effort “Street/Strip” combo looks like.

You specifically asked me to tell you what max effort build looks like, I obliged. It doesn’t look like Cody’s build, which left quite a bit on the table due to expedience and budget.

Remember this?

A Max effort 5.4 build includes a sleeved/o-ringed aluminum block, billet crank, more cylinder head, more cam, more port work, more RPM. Cody’s build isn’t a “max effort 5.4 TVS2650 Street/Strip build” by any objective measure.

If he wants more, he would need an actual max effort build.
Dude I’ll stop arguing with someone who just flat doesn’t comprehend.
HE HAS A STOCK CRANK IRON BLOCK 5.4
SO YES HIS CURRENT COMBO IS MAX EFFORT FOR WHAT IT IS.
Done being nice here, as I have no problem with him, just his nut swinger.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I could get 75+ out out of the iron block/stock crank/current cams combo :)
You might, but you’re risking your crank and block.
Like I’ve said all along, you have a sweet setup.
And most importantly we’ll see what it can do at the track. Otherwise dyno numbers are just that.
Good luck at the track man.
-J

Ben99GT

Just a stock GT
Established Member
Dude I’ll stop arguing with someone who just flat doesn’t comprehend.
HE HAS A STOCK CRANK IRON BLOCK 5.4
SO YES HIS CURRENT COMBO IS MAX EFFORT FOR WHAT IT IS.
Done being nice here, as I have no problem with him, just his nut swinger.
-J

You aren’t arguing with someone who doesn’t understand, you fail to to understand.

Cody’s combo isn’t a “max effort build”.
Cody’s combo may near the limits of his parts, but that because it ISN’T a max effort build.

I built the engine, I spec’d the pistons/cams, I know what was left on the table and how much more I could or couldn’t have done. It was in no way a max effort build. Sorry.

I’m honestly not trying to be a dick here, but you’re making it extremely difficult.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread