13 Boss 302 or 11-12 GT500

usafimj

Established Member
I currently have a Gotta Have It Green 2013 Boss 302 with 37,400 miles and the only mods being 13-14 GT500 quad exhaust. I had an 08 GT500 a few years ago and I sold it before deploying and when I got back I bought the Boss 302. Now I'm thinking of selling and going to an 11-12 GT500. A 13-14 GT500 is out of my price range and if it was it would have high miles. I do have a few mods sitting in my attic that I bought for my 08 GT500 that I never got to install such as VMP triple pass heat exchanger, 3x larger OEM looking intercooler bottle, and GT500 6 piston brakes.

I would like to have more creature comforts such as leather seats, better radio/Nav, glass roof, TR600 would be nice too, and that sweet sweet whine when you hit that go pedal. After having cloth seats in the Boss I'm not too crazy about them. Would you keep the Boss 302 or go back to a GT500?

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
I’d decide what you want ultimately. If it’s raw power, gt500. If it’s keeping value I’d stick with the boss. I don’t think you could go wrong in either direction.

ZiaRunner

Established Member
You definitely made up your mind that you want a GT500 with the reference back to your 2008 and wanting the creature comforts, transmission and supercharger the Gt500 offers.

So I ask, why would you keep the Boss?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Keep the boss. If you can not afford a 13/14 GT500. You really are not making a big enough jump at a 11/12 GT500 over a boss.

Another option is to sell all the goodies you have stored. Sell the boss and step up to the 13/14 GT500.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Can't go wrong with a 11/12 GT500, they're super easy to tune thanks to factory widebands, you can easily do a 2.3 TVS swap and some basic bolts and make well over 600whp safely, Or get a Gen3R TVS and make 750whp.

bg302

Established Member
The Boss is a cool car, no doubt. My brother had a 2012 that he tracked regularly. Constantly fought issues with the MT82 when he pushed the car. The GT500 has a better drivetrain, a few mods puts the GT500 near 650-700 RWHP, reliably. That much HP and the MT82 is on borrowed time, learned that lesson with my 2012 GT that I installed a 2.9 Whipple on. First track pass with sticky tires, the MT82 "retired" itself.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
If you were choosing these cars from scratch, I would say Boss 100%, but as you have the Boss and seem possibly bored with it, sounds like you really ultimately want the change. Strangely some of the knocks on the Boss, I like (no SC shine, cloth seats, and no sync / nav etc)

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
Keep the boss. If you can not afford a 13/14 GT500. You really are not making a big enough jump at a 11/12 GT500 over a boss.

Another option is to sell all the goodies you have stored. Sell the boss and step up to the 13/14 GT500.
First and foremost. Thank you usafimj for your service to this great country. I agree with me32 . Sounds like you got some shelby GT500 running thru those veins.

Last edited:

usafimj

Established Member
I’d decide what you want ultimately. If it’s raw power, gt500. If it’s keeping value I’d stick with the boss. I don’t think you could go wrong in either direction.
The raw power of a GT500 is addictive and amazing. Both the Boss and GT500 hold their value well so not too concerned about that.
You definitely made up your mind that you want a GT500 with the reference back to your 2008 and wanting the creature comforts, transmission and supercharger the Gt500 offers.

So I ask, why would you keep the Boss?
I like the Boss for what it is but was just expecting more. I took it on the Nurburgring last year and it handled amazing. I pushed it hard and it stuck to the track. Plus I simply love colors that stick out. GHIG sticks out well as did my Grabber Orange GT I had in 08. Grabber Blue is really the only color that sticks out in the GT500. Everyone has Red, Black, White cars and I just may have to settle for a color that everyone has if I get a GT500.

Depending on how much I can sell the Boss for and the cash I have on hand I'll have around $37-40K. Trade in is $32/33K and Private Party is around $35K. Plus the parts add an extra $2K. That'll still put me $10K under a 13-14 GT500. Trying to pay cash and not take an extra car loan.
Can't go wrong with a 11/12 GT500, they're super easy to tune thanks to factory widebands, you can easily do a 2.3 TVS swap and some basic bolts and make well over 600whp safely, Or get a Gen3R TVS and make 750whp.
That would be my plan if I went with a 11-12 GT500.
The Boss is a cool car, no doubt. My brother had a 2012 that he tracked regularly. Constantly fought issues with the MT82 when he pushed the car. The GT500 has a better drivetrain, a few mods puts the GT500 near 650-700 RWHP, reliably. That much HP and the MT82 is on borrowed time, learned that lesson with my 2012 GT that I installed a 2.9 Whipple on. First track pass with sticky tires, the MT82 "retired" itself.
I got the Silver and Red Key activated and the high RPM lockout drives me crazy. Yea if I added a VMP or Whipple thats an easy $7-10K extra costs plus a new clutch, oil pump gears, and all the small things to add.
If you were choosing these cars from scratch, I would say Boss 100%, but as you have the Boss and seem possibly bored with it, sounds like you really ultimately want the change. Strangely some of the knocks on the Boss, I like (no SC shine, cloth seats, and no sync / nav etc)
I'm a little bored with it. The cloth seats are comfy just prefer leather and the sync is ok but could be better.
First and foremost. Thank you usafimj for your service to this great country. I agree with me32 . Sounds like you got some shelby GT500 running thru those veins.
Thanks for the support. It means a lot.

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
I am bias so, you save, or make it work to get into a 13/14 Shelby.
The loonger you wait, the higher the prices will be. The 13/14 Shelby is gonna be more sought out in years to come than the Boss or any 10-12 Shelby

Sell the BOSS, volunteer for a deployment or two
That's how I worked the system being in the Army and balancing a car hobby and other expensive things.

ok now back to reality....I would take an 11/12 Shelby over a Boss and add approx $10k to target a 730rwhp goal. But, if I kept the Boss, I would take that same $10k, twin turbo, Magnum trans and call it a day

usafimj

Established Member
I am bias so, you save, or make it work to get into a 13/14 Shelby.
The loonger you wait, the higher the prices will be. The 13/14 Shelby is gonna be more sought out in years to come than the Boss or any 10-12 Shelby

Sell the BOSS, volunteer for a deployment or two
That's how I worked the system being in the Army and balancing a car hobby and other expensive things.

ok now back to reality....I would take an 11/12 Shelby over a Boss and add approx $10k to target a 730rwhp goal. But, if I kept the Boss, I would take that same $10k, twin turbo, Magnum trans and call it a day
Funny you should mention deployment. I could possibly be "deploying" next Spring. Usually save a decent amount while gone even with the wife and kids at home.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Since you are possibly deploying again in the Spring, keep your Boss for now, save during deployment, then sell the Boss to upgrade to the desired '13/'14 GT-500. Used car prices are UP now, so a good time to consider selling the Boss would be in the Spring. Fewer people are looking to buy during the winter months. Either way you decide to go, keeping the Boss, moving to a '11/'12 GT-500, or to a '13/'14 GT-500, you'll be in a good place.

Are you making a career out of the USAF? Thank you for your service.

noco5.0

Established Member
I've considered selling my Boss to upgrade to a 13-14 GT500. My car has a Whipple, upgraded clutch,driveshaft and a few other modifications. I don't race it and honestly only put a couple of thousand miles a year on the car so I'm not too worried about the transmission. With the crazy prices of Shelby's especially 13-14's the Boss seems like a bargain and is definitely less common around here. I would keep what you have and modify it to meet your needs if budget is an issue.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Animated GIF

usafimj

Established Member
Since you are possibly deploying again in the Spring, keep your Boss for now, save during deployment, then sell the Boss to upgrade to the desired '13/'14 GT-500. Used car prices are UP now, so a good time to consider selling the Boss would be in the Spring. Fewer people are looking to buy during the winter months. Either way you decide to go, keeping the Boss, moving to a '11/'12 GT-500, or to a '13/'14 GT-500, you'll be in a good place.

Are you making a career out of the USAF? Thank you for your service.
I just passed by 18yr mark. I'll probably stay past 20 as my kids will just be entering High School.
I've considered selling my Boss to upgrade to a 13-14 GT500. My car has a Whipple, upgraded clutch,driveshaft and a few other modifications. I don't race it and honestly only put a couple of thousand miles a year on the car so I'm not too worried about the transmission. With the crazy prices of Shelby's especially 13-14's the Boss seems like a bargain and is definitely less common around here. I would keep what you have and modify it to meet your needs if budget is an issue.
I'm the same way only put around 4,000 miles per year. I would love to add a Gen 3R or Whipple but thats an easy $8-10K plus all the extra things that should be done when adding boost to the Boss. There's only a handful of Boss 302's in Oklahoma City.
Which car are we hip thrusting for haha

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
The raw power of a GT500 is addictive and amazing. Both the Boss and GT500 hold their value well so not too concerned about that.

I like the Boss for what it is but was just expecting more. I took it on the Nurburgring last year and it handled amazing. I pushed it hard and it stuck to the track. Plus I simply love colors that stick out. GHIG sticks out well as did my Grabber Orange GT I had in 08. Grabber Blue is really the only color that sticks out in the GT500. Everyone has Red, Black, White cars and I just may have to settle for a color that everyone has if I get a GT500.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Boss...do injectors and a E85 tune...it'll be a gt500 killer.
im not familiar with a boss with these mods but against a standard pullied/tuned GT500? doesnt sound plausible. i would think a boss would need FI to keep up with a modded GT500.

$1k to pulley/tune/injectors GT500
$$?? for Boss to do the same...?

everyone says the Boss is a great handling car and is well balanced. BUT, if its going to be street driven and not so much in the canyons etc.... than GT500 makes the ultimate cruiser. 600 to the wheels and its a street/freeway terror. what do you have to do get boss to put down 600 (reliably). blower, trans upgrade? how much is that? $15k? the boss should have come with the Tremec from the factory. big fail on Fords part. it seems they realized this with the Mach 1s.

car guys know the Boss. mustang guys know it and appreciate it the best. EVERYONE knows the Shelby mustang. in the long run i think the GT500s will outpace the Boss in value, especially the 13/14s.

as for the value of OPs car. i would think its worth more than $40k if it has low mileage. in this market. NOW is the time to sell. when you come back from deployment the prices may have normalized. sell now, sit on the cash, buy a 13/14 after prices stabilize or drop. NOW is not the time to buy.

Users who are viewing this thread