'13 GT500 parts that will retrofit to any '07-'12...

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I already got a response to an early morning query from someone at Ford Racing regarding parts swapping. The response...

We are looking into all of this and I'll let you know what we find. Our initial assessment is that a lot of this should be retrofitable but there might be some system issues.

Things must have been moving very fast. Recall the number of parts FRPP had ready to go when the Coyote engine was new for '11. So based on the initial comment above it would appear that FRPP will be very busy.

Of interest regarding what components us older model owners will be able to slip into place:

Engine

- Larger bore block. Appears to be heavily ribbed. New pistons and squirters that required a higher capacity oil pump (billet gears?).

- Cast aluminum oil pan replaces steel pan and is larger by 1.5 quarts.

- Forged crank uses titanium slugs for better balance and allows new redline of 7,000 rpm (up from 6250).

- Eaton 2.3L TVS (gotta be better than the old FRPP catalog offering - somehow).

Hopefully we will soon find out (Go Sid!) what parts interchange will be possible with any of the above. I suspect that if Ford kept the old 5.4 baseplate for the new TVS, allowing a direct swap, that it'll be a very hot item. And now that it is an OE Ford production part, economies of scale should allow for some very reasonable pricing.

Transmission/Clutch/Drive Shaft/Rear axle

- Sounds like a Viper-spec Tremec 6060 with revised gearing is on its way in '13. Don't know if it'll utilize a traditional tailstock and internal shifter such as Tremec's upcoming T56 Magnum. Hopefully it will.

- Slightly larger than '11/'12 clutch. Revised for feel, hopefully with a commensurate hp capability. No word on the flywheel.

- Carbon fiber drive shaft, single piece, allegedly lighter than the previous steel unit by 11 pounds.

- Rear axle utilizes the old 3.31 ratio and supposedly uses larger bearings than even the previous GT500 specific axle assembly had (larger pinion bearing).

Drive shaft, as long as it is a direct swap into earlier cars, should prove to be a best seller for FRPP. We've waited years now for an OEM factory Ford piece that was rugged enough to handle more power. I hope FRPP gets to work on this one immediately!

Cooling

- Sounds like Ford has chosen to move up to a three row intercooler. May only fit the 5.8 intake manifold. Still looking for technical information on an upgraded heat exchanger.

- Transmission cooler sounds like it is integral to the new 6060 and thus may not be able to be retrofitted.

- Axle cooler appears to utilize an external pump that is actuated by temperature. This one should be a fairly easy swap. A quickie for FRPP to put together a kit here as well.

- Oil cooler. Higher horsepower means higher cooling needs. Our earlier model GT500's could probably benefit from whatever system the '13 will use.

Brakes

- Anyone that has ever tracked the flying pigs of yore have all pretty much reached the same conclusion. The car needs more brake! Hopefully the new six piston Brembo calipers will bolt to our existing '07-'12 spindles as well as the new, larger rotors fitting our existing hubs. A larger rotor out back (no mention of a caliper change) implies a move to a new caliper bracket. This bracket should be a direct bolt on for us as well.

Suspension

- The electronically adjustible Bilstein's should make for a simple and clean retrofit. A great addition if you frequent bumpy, unkept streets.

Wheels

- Oops. File this one under the major letdown section.

Anyone spy anything else we could use from the 'Ring mules? Looks like Ford may have something in mind to stop excess oil in the blower tract (and not just for "measuring"). It'll be interesting to see if Ford sticks with the tiny IC system reservoir as well.

2013-ford-shelby-gt500-03_gallery_image_large.jpg

2013-ford-shelby-gt500-05_gallery_image_large.jpg

Production engine assembly looks to sport a "kicked back" fuel line above the TVS. Too much convective heat from the blower gear case?

13-2013-ford-shelby-gt500.jpg

How long before we see a post entitled "I put my car jack underneath the oil pan and guess what happened?"

2013-ford-shelby-gt500-06_gallery_image_large.jpg

Mule looks to have brackets in place for a drive shaft safety loop - just without the loop. I want that drive shaft now!:-D

2013-ford-shelby-gt500-07_gallery_image_large.jpg

I see a temperature sensor, a feed and a return line. The question is, did the mules run coolant lines all the way to the grille up front and then all the way back?

2013-ford-shelby-gt500-08_gallery_image_large.jpg

Looks like you'll have to ditch your aftermarket axle reservoir if you were to add the cooler pump. Not much space is left up there...

2013-ford-shelby-gt500-09_gallery_image_large.jpg

Look closely, beyond the pimpy crossed drilling and you'll see those are actually a two piece rotor. I can't see Ford using the two piece/crossed drilled rotors for production. Then why test them? Maybe to further test the new, six piston calipers?

2013-ford-shelby-gt500-13_gallery_image_large.jpg

FRPP, if you offer it, a simple dash (or in-console) mounted toggle will do...

2013-ford-shelby-gt500-23_gallery_image_large.jpg

Bring it on gentlemen. Ford Racing is watching...:p

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I was looking forward to your thread on this. :beer:

I am definitely keeping my 07 as I still love the look with the few visual touches I've added. I would love to add some 'toys' from the 13 car as well.

-Brembos
-CF D/S
-TVS
-Recaros (they're available in GTs now too, FRPP or OEM should have them readily available soon)
-Rear axle (my 3.73s still wine. New axle with larger bearings, Torsen, and caliper brackets)
-Bilsteins (I bet they can be made to work, but the controls won't be as well integrated. I bet the controls can be nicely tucked away somewhere)

If I ever get crazy I will sell my motor and/or replace it with the updated 5.8L. :rockon:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Ron, I assure you - I'm going to add any and everything from this car that'll improve the performance abilities of my (now) dated, earlier chassis. The engine upgrade might take awhile though...;)

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
from the exploded picture of the motor that was released, the rods look the same.

14-2013-shelby-gt500.jpg

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I wonder who snuck a camera into the SVT garage at Allen Park, thats a big no no, but good for you guys.

It's funny how Ford has taken a lot of ideas from the aftermarket and put them into the production car (CF shaft, TVS blower). And then applied some OEM engineering and economies of scale.

If you look closely, there are two different blowers. One is the production blower with 5.8 and SVT on it with an X pattern on top, but the other looks like the TVS that is available now from myself (VMP) and FRPP. They probably used an existing part that Roush had laying around (they do SVT's engineering) for development. If you look the inlet on the 13 TVS is improved to a Q-port design (ala current VMP TVS) but still uses the same stock TB, you know they are pulling an inch or two of vacuum on that.

The blower pulley also looks relatively small, it may be needed to feed that big 5.8, maybe a 2.8"-2.9". This thing probably runs 10-12psi and the calibration is totally sandbagged (no timing) so you can't even blow it up with 85 octane gas, that's my bet at least. 650hp is on the weak side for what they've put into this motor. You can do that on the old 5.4 with a TVS (same pulley) and moderate 91-93 calibration, and this is .4L bigger. However that's better for us as the gains from tuning alone should be big :).

I believe the new 13 blower will bolt on to 07-12 cars, but I don't think you'll see it dirt cheap at the parts counter or from FRPP. Ford doesn't want people to have a cheap factory supported way to mod their 10-12 cars, which Ford is still warrantying. FRPP has a big incentive to sell Whipples. When the Ford GT was out the 2.3L screw from it was around 3500-4000 from the parts counter if I remember right.

Last edited:

jonesd

Established Member
Justin, I read in an article today on the front page of google when I searched 2013 gt500. They said ford claimed they had upped the boost from 9psi to 15psi and the car was severely detuned. Do you think the article info holds any merit?

I will see if I can find the article again

Justin@VMP

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Tob, I figured they made the front heat exchanger larger, not the one in the lower intake, how did you read it?

The higher flowing IC pump should also be a hot part.

Users who are viewing this thread