'13 GT500 parts that will retrofit to any '07-'12...

pony23

Established Member
Tob, I figured they made the front heat exchanger larger, not the one in the lower intake, how did you read it?

The higher flowing IC pump should also be a hot part.

I am running the intercooler pump from the Ford GT. It was a test that Tasca was doing when they mounted it on my car. They said it gave really good results.

I was wondering when TOB was going to be all over the 2013. Didn't think it would be this fast though. :beer:

I will also be all over a bunch of these parts. Lots of goodies to choose from.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
should be able to plug the oil squirters to use them in a low rpm situation like I would be looking to do

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
so the 5.8l has piston squirters even though the RPMs have been increased up to 7000? i thought they eliminated them on the boss 302 because the oil collecting in the piston was causing substantial windage/drag at high RPMs.

the brake upgrade is awesome, should be by far the cheapest 'big brake kit' for S197 'stangs!
looks like you were right about the discs Tob...

2013-mustang-025.jpg

plain 1 piece rotors. good riddance to the cross drilling, too bad about losing the 2 piece.

cluscher

Established Member
Tob, it says there are two new wheels for the GT500. Any details on what the other wheel looks like, and if they're still 19x9.5? I also noticed the Boss 302 wheel is a bit different. Any idea if they're still the staggered 19x9s, 19x10s.

When does the new FRPP catalog come out?

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Chris, FRPP has historically released their new catalog at each year's PRI show. This year the trade show will be in Orlando, Florida, from December 1st through the 3rd. They sometimes release information in the catalog early, so I expect good things to come between now and December. Hopefully they update the online catalog early this year.

Note the second paragraph from this photo Sid provided from this year's SEMA show...

SEMA%202011%20-%20Day%202-%2069.jpg

As to the factory wheels, a subject dear to me, Ford has chosen a tactically evasive move for the moment. They make mention of two styles that utilize both 19 and 20 inch diameters, but they have obviously neglected to mention widths. The one wheel they have shown (so far) looks to be a mild reworking of the '11-'12 PP wheel. I'm quite sure that wheel comes in the same 9.5" width(s) as previous. I was hoping that Sid might get the opportunity to capture a shot of this "other" wheel at the LA Auto Show, but preliminary shots from the show looks like Ford is using the same car from the little shindig at the Belasco last night - I'll bet Shelby was gettin' down and [ame="http://vimeo.com/27843719"]rockin' to the beat.[/ame]

Maybe Ford is holding out for a mid-year release of a 10"-10.5" wheel for the rear but I wouldn't bet the farm on it. I'd finally be able to give the '13 my stamp of complete approval if they did. Note that it also looks like the rear caliper is not a Brembo unit but instead it appears to be the same Varga/TRW caliper Ford has been using for awhile. Again, I suspect that only the caliper bracket is new to allow the new, larger rear rotor to fit.

2013-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT500-profile1.jpg

Ry, my mind followed the same logic regarding the squirters. Seems Ford goes back and forth with these. And you're right, the bigger brakes will probably be in the next FRPP catalog as well. Interesting there was no mention of upgrading the front hoses (ala the Boss upgraded brake hoses). I'd expect them to be included in anything FRPP offered here.

Justin said:
Tob, I figured they made the front heat exchanger larger, not the one in the lower intake, how did you read it?

The higher flowing IC pump should also be a hot part.

Searching all current information available, I see a bit of confusion regarding IC or HE nomenclature. Ford had to have upgraded the heat exchanger along with a larger intercooler. Would have been nice to have heard they were now using fans, but alas, no.

As to the pump, I agree, that should be a hot seller. I wonder if they'll be using an all new pump design as opposed to the '07-'12 pump being a carryover from the Lightning. What are the odds that Bosch will once again, be the supplier? Again, hopefully Sid can unearth some juicy tidbits here.

Of note... I've been actively perusing Ford's new car emissions certificate approvals, both Federal and CARB, and have noticed that no approval has been posted yet. While I'm quite certain that Ford's testing (probably a mix of their own and that from Roush's test labs) has proven the car to meet 2013 model year standards, I hope they aren't jumping the gun here. Were they to fail and have to go back to the drawing board their final numbers could be revised (read lower hp numbers). They must be very confident that they'll get their certification approval soon. I just want to see how much more (if at all) this thing emits compared to the smaller displacement 5.4 liter engine.

And something I've mentioned before, the cats. I suspect the 2013 catalytic converters will be the best yet in terms of flow and the ability to handle big horsepower numbers. My guess would be that Ford stays with the same substrate but I'm wondering if they'll be longer than previous units (I don't see how their diameter could be any larger than it already is). So I'll be monitoring the Federal Certification summary results closely for any changes. Here's a snippet from the 2012 cert...

ScreenHunter_01Nov162108.gif

From here and here. Carb certs will show up in the upper left hand column marked PC_LDT_MDV_MDEV. You then have to scroll down to Ford's passenger car listings, for the Mustang 5.4, model year 2013. Except it isn't there yet.

Last edited:

Ironhand

Banned
I want to know about the "upgraded cams" With the 10-12 cars running FGT cams then I want to know the specs on the new cams for the 13s.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I want to know about the "upgraded cams" With the 10-12 cars running FGT cams then I want to know the specs on the new cams for the 13s.

I saw one of the motors tonight. It says "Ford GT Cams". Will have pics later.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Ry, my mind followed the same logic regarding the squirters. Seems Ford goes back and forth with these. And you're right, the bigger brakes will probably be in the next FRPP catalog as well. Interesting there was no mention of upgrading the front hoses (ala the Boss upgraded brake hoses). I'd expect them to be included in anything FRPP offered here.
do you think the continental challenge race car use played a greater role in the piston squirter decision on the boss? the 302R race cars are using the same engine as what is being put in the production boss 302, so maybe they wanted the piston squirters eliminated for main bearing oiling priority. or maybe it was just to get every ounce of efficiency out of the engine - scraping up the milliseconds that the oil windage may cost - due to the racing use.
either way, i've thought the whole oil windage "problem" sounded a little odd and blown out of proportion from the start. i have no doubt there is some truth to it, but i REALLY doubt that it's noticeable in a production car - even in lap times during a track session. the coyote engineers did make a huge deal about the 5.0l actually having piston squirters after all, going as far as saying that it's the #1 feature they've wanted in the mod motor since it was released back in '91.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator

I've responded almost every time I see someone say that the '10-'12 cars use the GT cams. I have yet to see proof that they are. Ford lift specs from a service manual - anything.

I saw one of the motors tonight. It says "Ford GT Cams". Will have pics later.

Ron - you're killing me. Get those shots up!

Ry - I stood between Mark Wilson of FRPP and Sean Mason of Multimatic in Toronto and discussed the Coyote engine in the Boss R. Mark was very proud of the fact that the engine was nothing more than a stock Boss engine when BMW was using a highly customized engine. Regardless of the back and forth about squirters - I've yet to hear of a failure in the Continental series that was oil related. I suspect we'll hear more in the near future regarding the engine. Hopefully Tom Wilson from 5.0 magazine does another fantastic job in breaking down the elements that make up the "new" 5.8L engine.

I'm still digging for retrofit information. There are people at Ford that already know, considering that Ford was using '11 and '12 GT500 mules for testing that utilized components that are intended for the '13. These people should all know...

2013-ford-shelby-gt500-17_gallery_image_large.jpg

The gentleman on the far right is Kerry Baldori, SVT’s global performance vehicle chief functional engineer. We're all lucky to have him on our side and not the opposition's. The rest I assume to be vehicle dynamics people in some capacity or another. I suspect it will be Baldori that will be quoted soon (or Hameedi) with regards to individual upgrades. I have a distinct feeling that Baldori knows exactly what us '07-'12 owners will be able to use...

Users who are viewing this thread