'13 GT500 parts that will retrofit to any '07-'12...

rdanzy

Established Member
Just asked in regards to building a shortblock for my 2010 GT500 and would the use of the 2013 crank offer any additional benefits. Using the 2011 aluminum block, GT Manley rods, Mahle CJ pistons and the stock 2011 crank for the shortblock.

Thanks for the reply.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Thanks to the post on Hameedi's comments on '13 upgrade components , more information is starting to flow. He mentions:

Engine...

- Unique to the 5.8 engine TVS
- Revised inlet
- Cylinder heads use new exhaust valves and seats
(cross drilled heads? Must have been an error)

Cooling system...

- 7 gpm IC pump (up from 3 gpm)
- 4" taller IC? (wonder if he was talking about the HE up front? This link mentions "heat exchanger with volume increased 36 percent")
- New ducting
- New fan shroud with high speed flap doors
- "Bigger" fan that utilizes more "wattage"

Body...

- Lower lip of new grilles are angled to produce downforce
- Splitter bolted to a splitter that can be partially removed for more ground
clearance (What a great idea!)

Brakes...

- Brembo six piston monobloc (Brembo's spelling) calipers up front
- 380mm front rotors (380 mm = 14.9606"...I thought these were
unchanged too. Unless I'm mistaken, these just grew by about an inch!)
- 350mm rear rotors (350 mm = 13.7795"...2007-2012 rear rotors were 11.8" meaning these grew by 2 inches!)
- New master cylinder

Rear Axle...

- New axles with a higher torque rating (I'd guess they are still 31 spline
but utilize "better" materials)
- New pinion bearings (the GT500 already used a unique pinion bearing so it
sounds like they updated it yet again)

New TPMS sensors "that work" to 200mph. Kind of implies that the old ones couldn't do it (flying off inside the tire? Unable to transmit any signal?:shrug:)

Hameedi mentioned the block, the transmission, the drive shaft, and quad exhaust tips as well. I think he did a pretty good job running through the changes quickly and off the top of his head.

If I owned a 2010-2012 GT500, I'd be anxious to find out if the front bumper/grilles, rear bumper/tail lights will swap as well. So far it is looking very much like they will. There is a lot more to go through and hopefully it all gets disclosed soon as well. Still waiting to hear about any changes to the catcons on the '13 too.

Lots of good stuff coming our way!

:rockon:

ON Edit... note that in this clip, Hameedi mentions the '13 as having a "heavily revised transmission" with a revised (and easier to operate) shifter. I'm eager to see if this will mimic the upcoming T56 Magnum transmission with an extended tailstock and older style integral shifter...

Last edited:

oldlugs

Established Member
...(cross drilled heads? Must have been an error)...

I wonder if someone didn't mean, cross drilled crank. That would make sense, as cross drilling the rod journals helps keep the oil from centrifuging out of the oil passage, and actually starving the bearings. Many high RPM engines use a cross drilled crank for better oiling.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Entirely plausible, but man, that's a far reach from having anything to do with a cylinder head.

I just don't see what the hell you'd be cross drilling a head for. To fasten it laterally, into....what? The lower intake that houses the intercooler? Look closely at the cut away head on the right. You can see conventionally located head bolts that attach the head to the block. You can see studs that are used to attach the exhaust manifolds. Camshaft pedestal bolts that retain the cams. And you can see where the holes are in the lower intake to attach it to the head.

This whole "cross drilled cylinder heads" has to be a mistake. The block is cross drilled. The crank could be. But little (other than it having titanium slugs) has been said about the crank. Maybe you're onto somethin' Lugs!

2011%20LA%20%20Autoshow%20-%20Day%201%20-%20007.jpg

89Saleen215

Established Member
Are we any closer to seeing parts available? Really would like to super-size...er upgrade the rotors.

Tob mentioned m/c...is this like the old Foxes where it's a matter of bore sizing?

Moody03SVT

Hear2Learn@Teach
Established Member
hmmmm, on my list for my 2012
(I will add the TVS myself, Afco dual pass H/E :) )

1. Carbon Fiber driveshaft
2. Front grille (upper and lower)
3. 7gpm intercooler pump (and supporting upgrades for that if there are any)
4. Tail lights

Maybe down the road

5. transmission
6. 15" front rotors / 14" rear rotors and calipers
7. electronic suspension (but might not make much sense if I add a bunch of aftermarket control arms, mounts, panhard bar, etc., we will see)

cjgt500

Established Member
Taillights won't be simple as once thought. One would have to change the rear bumper cover too for them to work. There was a thread showing that somewhere.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Are we any closer to seeing parts available? Really would like to super-size...er upgrade the rotors.

Tob mentioned m/c...is this like the old Foxes where it's a matter of bore sizing?

A,

I just noticed the first 2013 GT500 parts have hit the system. No driveline, engine, or suspension parts are showing up yet. Looks like Ford is listing front bumper (grille, etc) and rear bumper first...

2012 front bumper first (for comparison) 2013 second

2012GT500frontbumper.jpg

2013GT500frontgrille.jpg

Rear bumper comparison (same order)

2012GT500rearbumper.jpg

2013GT500rearbumper.jpg

I'll keep my eye on Ford's Parts division to see when they release anything else. As for anything engine or driveline related, the 5.8 has yet to be certified by either the EPA or CARB. I suspect that once Ford gets past that hump that everything else will be released to Ford Parts.

Last edited:

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Again nice job Tob. I give Ford credit for constantly making improvements, just can't make money fast enough to keep up with all of them

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
$235 for the upper from tousley ford. They said it would take a few days to get in. Again no date on the lower grill. Looks like I'll be the guinea pig to see if it fits.

Grey03

Established Member
Does anybody know if the launch control is something that we might be able to retro fit to a 10 up? I think that would be cool to have.

FordTT500

I love Turbos
Established Member
You would probably have to switch out the car computer and run new lines and sensor. I would imagine it could cost a lot of money.

Users who are viewing this thread