'13 stripe damage

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
Weather has been strange in northern Virginia lately. A couple days back we got rain in the middle of the night which eventually was dried out by the 60+ degree sun and caused this. Even though it looks like it, there is nothing on top of the stripes. It seems as if the metallic flakes have been damaged somehow. Anyone else come across this problem? Any advise is greatly appreciated

13907271302_f554e87583_c.jpg

F.D.Sako

Established Member
Ouch! That looks pretty bad. Maybe it was acid rain?

Have you tried wiping it down with a quick detailer spray? I've had good luck with detailer spray with water sports, but if the rain has damaged the vinyl's reflective material, then replacing the vinyl may be your only option :(
Is it the same on all the vinyls, or just that one piece? any damage to the rear spoiler?

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
It's mainly just on the hood where water was able to sit and dry under the sun. I had a body shop down the street look at it deal quick and he said something acidic happened. We tried to rub it off with some abrasive compound for stripes and that's when we figured out it wasn't a buildup of anything on top of the stripes.

Do you guys think I have a chance of getting this covered under warranty? I've never taken a modded car to a ford dealership for warranty service.

_Snake_

Established Member
Was 3M Finesse It II (PN 39003) the product you tried?

Have you driven the car much since you noticed the water spots? I had the same thing happen, tried everything to get them off, drove about an hour to get more supplies, and they disappeared. Engine heat? I don't know either.

Regardless, it should be covered under warranty (your mods didn't cause the water spots).

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
That should be covered under warranty, but do not use any more chemicals on it.

That would be classified as a 'defect' in my eyes, not a wear and tear.

And dont worry about your mods, they wont effect your stripes, and may be the talk of the techs at the shop :D

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
This happened about 4 or 5 days ago and they're still there. I'm not going to attempt to wash it and just bring it to ford. I'll ask it they can wash it off before they have some rep look at it. Wish me luck

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
I had some on mine in the same area but maybe not as bad... I tried everything, nothing worked. Well it's been about a month and they are about 70% gone. Don't know why, so I am going to leave them alone and see if they go away completely.
Not sure you'll be able to do a warranty claim on the stripes. I was told be the dealer that any claim for defects on the stripes have to made within the first 12 months. But if they don't get better it's worth a try!!

Last edited:

_Snake_

Established Member
I had some on mine in the same area but maybe not as bad... I tried everything, nothing worked. Well it's been about a month and they are about 70% gone. Don't know why, so I am going to leave them alone and see if they go away completely.
Not sure you'll be able to do a warranty claim on the stripes. I was told be the dealer that any claim for defects on the stripes have to made within the first 12 months. But if they don't get better it's worth a try!!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had water spots disappear without explanation. I only had 5-10 spots and the largest was the size of a quarter. Nothing happened while the car was in the garage, but an hour on the road made them disappear.

Jabooh1

Established Member
It is probably water ingress through small holes in the stripe and the heat of sun or engine make them evaporate.

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
So guess what.............. I head out to my car about to go to the dealership and the spots are 90% gone! I looked at every angle to see if they were there but only a few spots remain. Weird stuff but im not complaining.

Jabooh1

Established Member
So it has to be water that permeated the stripe. I would be worried about the adhesive loosing its stickiness if it happens too many times.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
So guess what.............. I head out to my car about to go to the dealership and the spots are 90% gone! I looked at every angle to see if they were there but only a few spots remain. Weird stuff but im not complaining.

Awesome! Glad to hear it!

_Snake_

Established Member

That makes at least 3 of us who fixed the "problem" by doing nothing but driving.

_Snake_

Established Member
Good info! And a friendly reminder to anyone reading that the stripes can't be treated the same as paint. Just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread