'14 5.0 vs bmw135

Joey8

Established Member
So this past weekend I went to a dyno day about an hour from me. The shop who was hosting the dyno day specializes in euro cars. Surprisely none of the kids were d-bags and all pretty down to earth. Anyways, I was talking to this kid who had a bmw135 which he said made 360 to the wheels and ran a 12.5 at 113. Said he was running 14 pounds of boost and was running a race gas map? Guess a map is equivalent to what we call a tune? He asked if I wanted to do some pulls and of course i agreed. He had me on the hit but maybe a 1/4 car but as soon as I got traction it was game over. I put a good length or two on him and shut it down around 110-115. Started from about a 30 - 35 mph roll. Trying to get a video from one of his friends that i will post up.

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
Vids or did.......oh you're getting vids so you have a pass for now

just ****in with you OP but in4vids though and nice kill, so this is the TT model or a single turbo? I dont know if they come both or just twin turbo for the 1 series. :shrug:

dead man walkin

Established Member
The 135 can be dangerous. . A euro guy will have to help me but I thought the best for these cars is the jb4 setup? Because tuning a BMW is difficult at best? I have seen a jb4 only 135 run a 12 flat.

djervin

Established Member
Pre 2011 x35's should be twin turbos (n54) 2011+ is a single turbo (n55). The most popular "tune" for those cars that I have came across is the Burger/ JB4. We have 2010 335i with the BMW performance kit which is supposed to be mild BMW tuning/ airbox/ exhaust and it runs pretty good. I have only ever ran one person, and it was some new edge that beat me, but I am ok with that....

F8l Vnm

Established Member
Good kill,,buddies 12 5.0 with boss intake , bolt ons and tune starts to pull on my 335 w jb4 pretty good after around 90 or so. Story is right on.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
The race gas map is part of a piggy back tune, could be from a JB4/PROcede, etc. We have the option of changing the tune settings on the fly from the steering wheel, its like having a handheld tuner with saved tunes but much easier and faster.

Good kill O.P and that sounds about right.

djervin said it right except for the 335is and the 1M, those still came with a twin turbo after the 2010 cars.

bokyo1987

Established Member
The 135 can be dangerous. . A euro guy will have to help me but I thought the best for these cars is the jb4 setup? Because tuning a BMW is difficult at best? I have seen a jb4 only 135 run a 12 flat.

COBB is another good one, it actually changes the map/tune on the DME instead of being a piggy back. No provisions for meth unlike the JB4 though. Some folks say good things about Vishnu's PROcede, no personal experience with it though.

The JB4 only running 12 flat... was that on OEM runflats? Pump gas, race gas, or E85? Really curious now lol

Last edited:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
COBB is another good one, it actually changes the map/tune on the DME instead of being a piggy back. No provisions for meth unlike the JB4 though. Some folks say good things about Vishnu's PROcede, no personal experience with it though.

The JB4 only running 12 flat... was that on OEM runflats? Pump gas, race gas, or E85? Really curious now lol
It has to be on race gas or mixed E85 with DR's or better. Really doubt a 135i JB4 only is running that quick.

Pretty much all the tuners are safe and good, it all goes down to preference. The JB's seem to be the most popular since its cheaper. You can get a backend flash for both piggyback's and keep all the features as well so itll be like a COBB tune with the piggyback features.

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
In my '11 GT with corsas, catless x and Steeda intake with tune/3.31 gears I pulled my bud's cobb 335 pretty good...He had FMIC, turbo back exhaust, intake and downpipes. I also had about 100lbs weight reduction. He would hang close until about 70-80mph.

chrisfromnj

Established Member
Pre 2011 x35's should be twin turbos (n54) 2011+ is a single turbo (n55). The most popular "tune" for those cars that I have came across is the Burger/ JB4. We have 2010 335i with the BMW performance kit which is supposed to be mild BMW tuning/ airbox/ exhaust and it runs pretty good. I have only ever ran one person, and it was some new edge that beat me, but I am ok with that....
I believe current sport versions such as 335is still come with the n54, at least up to the '13 did.

djervin

Established Member
The race gas map is part of a piggy back tune, could be from a JB4/PROcede, etc. We have the option of changing the tune settings on the fly from the steering wheel, its like having a handheld tuner with saved tunes but much easier and faster.

Good kill O.P and that sounds about right.

djervin said it right except for the 335is and the 1M, those still came with a twin turbo after the 2010 cars.

Thanks for the correction :beer:

Payne Racing 67

Established Member
Race gas map only making 360rwhp? That sounds iffy. Id say he was probably jb4 with maybe intakes. Nonetheless good kill! Those cars with full boltons and race gas get over 400rwhp. Also, Cobb is actually better than JB software. My buddy has one, and our other friend who is a badass tuner picked up something like 40-50hp with an all out accessport tune. Its a 335xi making 452awhp with fbo and meth.

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member
Agree with everything in this thread. With the new JB4 with G5 board, people are running a 50/50 mix with E85 and 93 with great results. I believe 400 at the wheels with tune, intake, and downpipes.

Joey8

Established Member
The car was not stock. He had intake downpipe and tune. Idk all this euro lingo but he said he made 360. Got the videos, uploading them now. His girl was filming them and stopped them as i started to pull on him but it'll get the point across You'll also here my engine bog real bad on the 3-4 shift. Didn't take TC off and it kicked in big time.

View My Video

View My Video

Last edited:

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Agree with everything in this thread. With the new JB4 with G5 board, people are running a 50/50 mix with E85 and 93 with great results. I believe 400 at the wheels with tune, intake, and downpipes.

Seems kind of weird filling half the tank with 93 and then half with corn.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Our cars are not meant to be driven on E85, hell people said going 60/40 with corn will make the car retarded. Doing a 50/50 blend or less opens up the chance to run higher boost I haven't done it and won't till we have the proper fueling equipment. But to each their own.

Crackerballer

Oh baby!
Established Member

Agreed, hence why I have not updated to the G5 board and started logging to adjust the maps for the 50/50 tune. Not sure how much longer I'll have the car, but if I do keep it, I will be testing the 50/50 and just not run it/leave it in the tank all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread