14 GT500 Tapping noise under car??

KanzenShelby

Established Member
*UPDATE*

I picked up the car last night and it seems its all fixed now the Noise is gone. We replaced all 8 intake Hydraulic lashers and 8 Exhaust on the drivers side. So my assumption from Day 1 was the culprit. I'm assuming when hot the lasher started to fail. When cold he said they all felt firm when he pulled them. We did 3 tests, the first was getting the car up to temp and running it normal, it was fine. Second one was getting the car up to temp and running it hard to 6k RPMS and it was quiet, also 90 degree heat. Third test was me going home 40 minutes normal driving and some spirited driving, car was quiet.

I also noticed it seemed like the car didn't "pop" as much out the exhaust when letting off the throttle , it seemed smoother. maybe its just me.

is the noise still completely gone? Curious because I have the same noise.

buddy g

Not yet. I think it’s a Driver side exhaust Lash adjuster, being I'm hearing the noise resonate from the exhaust. I’d attempt to change out the lifter myself but I’m a little nervous . It’s suppose to go in the shop this Friday to be done, hopefully that’s it. Unless i get enough courage and do it myself , also no one lives around me to give me a Hand that KNOWS what there doing or I would ripped it apart by now.
My 2012 gt500 makes same noise what did you do to fix it thanks

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
My 2012 gt500 makes same noise what did you do to fix it thanks
He replaced the 32 lash adjusters, that fix seems to work most of the time.
I've also seen this stuff used as a bandaid to help with the noise

buddy g

He replaced the 32 lash adjusters, that fix seems to work most of the time.
I've also seen this stuff used as a bandaid to help with the noise
Can you change these with out removing the cam

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Can you change these with out removing the cam
Yes, it's a pain in the ass, but with this tool you can, I've done it before
Screenshot_20230611_224911_Photos.jpg
Screenshot_20230611_224925_Photos.jpg

buddy g

Yes, it's a pain in the ass, but with this tool you can, I've done it before View attachment 1796832View attachment 1796833
Does this fix last has anyone put a lot of miles on after doing it thanks

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Does this fix last has anyone put a lot of miles on after doing it thanks
Not that I'm aware of, and again, this may not fix it, but guys have replaced the lifters/lash adjusters and the noise has gone away. And it's a somewhat common issue. If you do replace them, let the lifters soak in oil for 24 hours or if you can heat the oil up to 150 to 180 degrees, you want to try and get all the air bubbles out of the lifters. I'm assuming you're running the FL-820S oil filter and Motorcraft 5W50 oil?

LS WUT

Established Member
Did you ever figure out what this Noise was? I have the same exact Noise coming from my 2013 GT500 with 9K Original Miles, OEM Oil Filter and MotorCraft 5W-50 Oil. Car runs, Sounds and feels great but when it warms up to Normal operation temps, you can hear that annoying tick underneath, especially when entering my Garage, it bounces off the walls like you mentioned.
He said what the problem was in post #56.. but I’ll post it for you.

*UPDATE*

I picked up the car last night and it seems its all fixed now the Noise is gone. We replaced all 8 intake Hydraulic lashers and 8 Exhaust on the drivers side. So my assumption from Day 1 was the culprit. I'm assuming when hot the lasher started to fail. When cold he said they all felt firm when he pulled them. We did 3 tests, the first was getting the car up to temp and running it normal, it was fine. Second one was getting the car up to temp and running it hard to 6k RPMS and it was quiet, also 90 degree heat. Third test was me going home 40 minutes normal driving and some spirited driving, car was quiet.

I also noticed it seemed like the car didn't "pop" as much out the exhaust when letting off the throttle , it seemed smoother. maybe its just me.

ShelbyMax69

He said what the problem was in post #56.. but I’ll post it for you.

*UPDATE*

Thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread