14 Mustang GT parking with e85

Austin Brian

Established Member
So I only drive my mustang Friday to Sunday, the other days it’s parked im tuned on e85.
I know not to leave e85 in the tank for no more than 3 months. I’ve never left e85 in my tank for more than a week sitting.

but when I park my car for those 4 days should I be topping the tank off with e85 or close to empty. I’ve always done close to empty and when I take the car out on Friday I go get fresh e85 for the weekend.

Not related but in the winters car is stored parked with full tank of 93 with stabilizer.

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
Nope, it's fine week to week without topping off. I do other things, just to be safe, though.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Austin Brian

Established Member
Nope, it's fine week to week without topping off. I do other things, just to be safe, though.

What kinda other things do you do ? I guess I could run 93 through it but then I gotta go through another learn procedure and flash tunes back and forth

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
It may be overkill, but here are some things:

I run Lucas Oil Ethanol treatment (top end lube).

If the car starts, it runs a minimum of 30 minutes. This is to burn any moisture out/off of the oil in an attempt to prolong wideband o2 life

More frequent oil changes to the tune of every 6-8 weeks. Not the expensive stuff, just Mobil One Synthetic.

Injectors flow tested and cleaned every winter.

My fuel system has three pumps. One full time and two boost referenced. After year one, I switch the full timer to boost referenced and swap a boost referenced to full time and replace all three the next year.

We have winter here, so in the fall I'll swap back to 93 and get a full tank ran through the car before winter. After that tank is through, I'll do an oil change and fill the tank on 93/Boostane Professional. The Boostane also acts as a preservative.

Over the last six years this has served me well.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
My car has been strictly on E-85 for 2 years and I have had no issues. My car rarely gets driven, it will often sit 4-6 weeks without being started. A few months back I pulled my fuel pumps to inspect and everything looked perfect. As John mentioned, I also add Lucas stabilizer every fill up..... not sure if it helps but ill keep running it.

I previously lived in Louisiana so I was able to drive the car year round basically. Since I moved to Ohio, I will likely drain the E-85 for the winter and fill with 93 as a precaution but I bet it would be fine sitting through the winter. As long as your tank is sealed up properly you should not have any issues.

Austin Brian

Established Member
Interesting, yea I’ve heard a lot of people leave it sitting. I’m sure I’m plenty fine. Occasionally I run a tank of 93 through the system once in a while as a cleaner.

I’ll maybe try some Lucas once ina while, not a huge fan on additives though as a technician I like to stay with the recommended manufacture stuff ya know.

my only concern was I know e85 collects water and condensation a little easier so in my mind I thought an empty tank would leave to more room for condensation to occur even more. But the car sits with it for so little of time I’m sure it’s plenty of fine. And the fact that people leave it sitting for almost a year which gives me more peace of mind.

68gtscode

Established Member
It may be overkill, but here are some things:

I run Lucas Oil Ethanol treatment (top end lube).

If the car starts, it runs a minimum of 30 minutes. This is to burn any moisture out/off of the oil in an attempt to prolong wideband o2 life

More frequent oil changes to the tune of every 6-8 weeks. Not the expensive stuff, just Mobil One Synthetic.

Injectors flow tested and cleaned every winter.

My fuel system has three pumps. One full time and two boost referenced. After year one, I switch the full timer to boost referenced and swap a boost referenced to full time and replace all three the next year.

We have winter here, so in the fall I'll swap back to 93 and get a full tank ran through the car before winter. After that tank is through, I'll do an oil change and fill the tank on 93/Boostane Professional. The Boostane also acts as a preservative.

Over the last six years this has served me well.

This is great input. I just moved to Ohio (from Texas), so parking cars all winter is new to me. I’m going to follow this same procedure. Thanks!

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
I run E85 most of the time, use amsoil and a wix xp filter. I don't change it until around 7k miles or 1 year, and the oil is what you expect at 7k miles for a stock na coyote, just dirty with suspended particles. I do very few short drives where the engine does not get to temperature, which is a major factor for condensation contamination in the oil.
Mines been sitting in the garage since April, getting taken apart and cleaned back up after pulling daily driver duty for 6 months, has 3/4 a tank of E85 (tested 85%). Only thing I do different is after sitting a long time I'll start with the pedal floored and let it just crank for a few seconds (5-10) to get just a bit of oil up in the topside of the engine. Then crank her over normally and give her a minute to circulate the oil before driving off, and not get on it driving until the oil is up to temp.

Users who are viewing this thread