'15 GT PP vs. 1LE driven by Randy Pobst

darreng505

Established Member
Some people think the new mustang is actually priced high. The packaging specifically. I thought I read the test mustang used here was around $46k. That's quite a lot for an "every man's car". More than my boss new. Lol

Voltwings

Established Member
Some people think the new mustang is actually priced high. The packaging specifically. I thought I read the test mustang used here was around $46k. That's quite a lot for an "every man's car". More than my boss new. Lol

That also had every single option on it, starting with a premium package. "Every man's car," with the PP can be had for mid 30s, which is much more "reasonable." The base price of the mustang has not raised nearly as much as the overall quality and improvement of the vehicle has. I'd say we're still coming out ahead. I saw a few 5.0s optioned out to $50k give or take when those first hit the lots a few years ago.

Budwise

Track Addict
Established Member
Im glad you test drove it. Interior is just like a mustangs, many different options and trim levels (entirely subjective stuff). Was it a 1SS, 2SS? What options did it have? While I agree it can be challenging to adjust to visibility and ergonomics, once you do, its an amazing machine. I sweated just like you described in the beginning but after about two weeks the car felt just as friendly in this area as a family sedan.

I take it you really liked its handling? Did you get the chance to push it a little?

I did push the ZL1 and the 1LE quite a bit in a straight line and on some twisties with bumps. Both of them had impressive turn in and stopping power and were dampened really nicely. The precision on the turn and planted feeling on exit was really confidence inspiring but I'm pretty confident they were both slower in a straight line than my 13 GT, unfortunately for me I actually DO track my car in more than just a straight line. The 1LE was 1SS but the ZL1 had literally every option, even the sunroof. The Recaros were nice but they made me sit up too high so that my hair was brushing the roof even when I adjusted it all the way down (I'm only 5'10"). Both of them felt really bare on the inside, all hard plastics and to my surprise as I said previously the 1LE felt stronger than the ZL1 to me. I chuckled and informed the salesman that I could hear clearly audible pinging coming from the ZL1 and asked if they put in 87 octane, he of course said yes lol. I could see myself really enjoying both of those cars on the track but really not enjoying them for day to day stuff. Since I do DD my car and only hit the track 2-4 times a year I dont think the Camaro is for me. That said I also went and took a look and sat in a new S550, and although plush on the inside the outside just really didnt do it for me. It seemed so.... I dont know the word to use other than... Wimpy?

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I did push the ZL1 and the 1LE quite a bit in a straight line and on some twisties with bumps. Both of them had impressive turn in and stopping power and were dampened really nicely. The precision on the turn and planted feeling on exit was really confidence inspiring but I'm pretty confident they were both slower in a straight line than my 13 GT, unfortunately for me I actually DO track my car in more than just a straight line. The 1LE was 1SS but the ZL1 had literally every option, even the sunroof. The Recaros were nice but they made me sit up too high so that my hair was brushing the roof even when I adjusted it all the way down (I'm only 5'10"). Both of them felt really bare on the inside, all hard plastics and to my surprise as I said previously the 1LE felt stronger than the ZL1 to me. I chuckled and informed the salesman that I could hear clearly audible pinging coming from the ZL1 and asked if they put in 87 octane, he of course said yes lol. I could see myself really enjoying both of those cars on the track but really not enjoying them for day to day stuff. Since I do DD my car and only hit the track 2-4 times a year I dont think the Camaro is for me. That said I also went and took a look and sat in a new S550, and although plush on the inside the outside just really didnt do it for me. It seemed so.... I dont know the word to use other than... Wimpy?

Thats pretty great to hear you actually drove the cars. Pretty smart to arm yourself with actual knowledge of the competition or potential purchases.

I would like to point out that it is not the recaros creating the height problem, its the sunroof, it actually lowers the roof-line +2 inches. I had the same issue with the car and had to sacrifice the sunroof for comfort.

Also would like to point out that when filled with low octane fuel, these car's ECU will default to a low performance map for the safety of its motor. Unfortunately, this change is not undone once the car gets premium again. You have to actually reset the computer by pulling a couple of fuses out overnight. Otherwise, you will go around with a low performance map controlling your car's output (feeling of low performance).

The interiors could be better and are filled with cheap materials, gauge placement could be much better, along with visibility issues and overall ergonomics. These were all things that werent so important to me. I have not tracked this car yet but really enjoy driving it on a daily basis. But again, we all have different tastes and things that we look for.

I also considered a new 5.0 or lightly used: gt500, corvette GS and Z06. Ultimately, i found the best match for me in this current 1LE.

I havent gotten a chance to see the new mustang but have mixed feelings about it as well. Can wait to line up against one. :)

Like I have said before, its a good time to be a car guy.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
I got next to a black ZL1 at a light on the way into work this morning. It looks enormous, but it's a sharp, mean looking car. I guess the bigger wheels and tires make it look even bigger than the regular Camaros to me. I would've given him hell, but I didn't want to embarrass him in the 2012 Fiesta.

Last edited:

kevm14

Also would like to point out that when filled with low octane fuel, these car's ECU will default to a low performance map for the safety of its motor. Unfortunately, this change is not undone once the car gets premium again. You have to actually reset the computer by pulling a couple of fuses out overnight. Otherwise, you will go around with a low performance map controlling your car's output (feeling of low performance).

Are you sure it doesn't reset when you fill up the gas tank? That is the strategy GM used on the LS6 (at least 5 gal fill). Makes no sense to assume that one tank of 87 means low octane for the rest of the car's life. I see a long-ass thread on this at Camaro5 so who knows.

Regarding the ZL1's poor performance during the test drive, I would think that, combined with the low octane fuel, that with hot weather, lots of A/C use with lots of idling prior to the test drive, probably shot up IAT temps (and underhood temps in general). No wonder it drove like crap.

az20115.0

Established Member
Daing, this is a long thread.. I dont feel like reading the whole thing but I did quickly notice that many people are getting their panties in a bunch and the Camaro guys are wetting them selves in excitement.. Here is the deal.. Both cars are great street cars. As far as Acceleration, I think by now most would agree that the 5.0 has a slight edge on the LS3 but ultimately its just preference. On the track, neither one of these cars would be very competitive int heir stock form even with those packages.. Unless you hit the track once every 2 years, you know that you will have dedicated R compound tires, race pads, adjustable coil over suspension or at least modified suspension and so on.. So this test is more of a Package Comparo test rather than Mustang vs Camaro test.. Ether way, its a major PR loss for Ford.. Cheers

Last edited:

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
I got next to a black ZL1 at a light on the way into work this morning. It looks enormous, but it's a sharp, mean looking car. I guess the bigger wheels and tires make it look even bigger than the regular Camaros to me. I would've given him hell, but I didn't want to embarrass him in the 2012 Fiesta.

Im sure he was shaking in his boots at the shear thought of a mighty Fiesta at his talons! Lol....

Are you sure it doesn't reset when you fill up the gas tank? That is the strategy GM used on the LS6 (at least 5 gal fill). Makes no sense to assume that one tank of 87 means low octane for the rest of the car's life. I see a long-ass thread on this at Camaro5 so who knows.

Regarding the ZL1's poor performance during the test drive, I would think that, combined with the low octane fuel, that with hot weather, lots of A/C use with lots of idling prior to the test drive, probably shot up IAT temps (and underhood temps in general). No wonder it drove like crap.

Based on all the research that I have done on the subject, it does not re-set on its own(its a fault in the car), you have to pull the fuses in order to get the performance map and make sure to mantain the tank fuel of premium.

darreng505

Established Member
That also had every single option on it, starting with a premium package. "Every man's car," with the PP can be had for mid 30s, which is much more "reasonable." The base price of the mustang has not raised nearly as much as the overall quality and improvement of the vehicle has. I'd say we're still coming out ahead. I saw a few 5.0s optioned out to $50k give or take when those first hit the lots a few years ago.

Problem is you can't really buy a base model. All the dealer profit is in options too. So if you want a new mustang with a stereo and nav then you're gonna pay a lot. That's the oldest car selling trick. Lol

Fords mission is to make this anyone's car but for mid-40's nicely equipped that's a hard sell for just anyone in my opinion. It's still just a stang.

BaylorCamaro

Established Member

Based on all the research that I have done on the subject, it does not re-set on its own(its a fault in the car), you have to pull the fuses in order to get the performance map and make sure to mantain the tank fuel of premium.

The ECU should auto correct over time as it detects higher octane fuel. However it takes more than just one tank of premium to correct this. The fuse pull method is like a hard reset. It just speeds up the process.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
Problem is you can't really buy a base model. All the dealer profit is in options too. So if you want a new mustang with a stereo and nav then you're gonna pay a lot. That's the oldest car selling trick. Lol

Fords mission is to make this anyone's car but for mid-40's nicely equipped that's a hard sell for just anyone in my opinion. It's still just a stang.

They had a base model with the track pack for 35k at my local dealer. Btw the base model is very nicely equipped

kevm14

The ECU should auto correct over time as it detects higher octane fuel. However it takes more than just one tank of premium to correct this. The fuse pull method is like a hard reset. It just speeds up the process.

Back in my LT1 days, I remember the PCM would just default to the low octane spark table (in addition to learned spark retard by RPM/MAP). The newer stuff is pretty sophisticated and can blend maps as required. But resetting when you add 5+ gallons makes all the sense in the world, since the octane COULD have changed enough to reevaluate the high octane timing. But now I'm way off topic.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
I don't get the tire sizes on the 15. Everyone talking about 255's but the rears are 275's. Seems weird to me or am I nuts?

How they keep talking about the Mustang "pushing" (under steering) when coming fast into a corner. Most, if not all, of that can be remedied with a stickier front tire.

Branhammer

Established Member
Problem is you can't really buy a base model.

What is that based on? I saw base 13-14 GTs at every dealer here when they were new. You can absolutely get a base. If they don't have one they'll get you one either through dealer trade or special order. But there will be base models everywhere in every color.

And if you say that's Ford's mission then you must agree it's Chevy's too, because their options are no cheaper. Nothing about the Mustang is more expensive than the competition. Period.

Last edited:

darreng505

Established Member
What is that based on? I saw base 13-14 GTs at every dealer here when they were new. You can absolutely get a base. If they don't have one they'll get you one either through dealer trade or special order. But there will be base models everywhere in every color.

And if you say that's Ford's mission then you must agree it's Chevy's too, because their options are no cheaper. Nothing about the Mustang is more expensive than the competition. Period.

Based on every car I ever purchased. But lucky you. Well done. And of course you can special order a base but dealers are designed to up sell options so they rarely carry just a base.

If your mileage varies then great.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread