'15 GT PP vs. 1LE driven by Randy Pobst

Branhammer

Established Member
Based on every car I ever purchased. But lucky you. Well done. And of course you can special order a base but dealers are designed to up sell options so they rarely carry just a base.

If your mileage varies then great.

Okay but your argument was that you can't buy a base. Not that dealers didn't normally carry them. If you can't find a base model then you just aren't trying.

darreng505

Established Member
I said you can't 'really' which I guess I meant easily. Poor wording on my part. I was trying to say it's actually hard unless you special order. That's been my experience over 20+ years but if it's changed a dealers have bases sitting around then my price argument loses steam. I agree.

twistedneck

Established Member
They made a choice to come in soft on spring rates and damping.. roll stiffness from the bars could have been stiffer as well but primarily its the spring rates, ride height, and damping. crank that up, put a proper sticky square tire setup in place and its a different comparison. same guys tuned the boss 302. different group tuning the svt mustang coming up.

Voltwings

Established Member
A lot of people switch to a square set up (myself included) because we prefer the more neutral feel, but a car set up to understeer from the factory however is safer than one that is neutral or will oversteer. That is the reason most factory "Track" Cars are set up staggered.

Branhammer

Established Member
I said you can't 'really' which I guess I meant easily. Poor wording on my part. I was trying to say it's actually hard unless you special order. That's been my experience over 20+ years but if it's changed a dealers have bases sitting around then my price argument loses steam. I agree.

Well I can't really speak for the 2015 yet because it's almost November and the dealers here still haven't gotten them yet. It's ridiculous. Who is going to want to buy a Mustang in the Winter? But when I was a car salesman for one of the local Ford dealers, we seemed to always have a few bases on the lot, and a lot of my customers who wanted bases just got them through a dealer trade. I would often spend my whole shift driving one of our vehicles all the way to ID, CO, or NV to trade it for a base GT they had, then drive that back to sell it. And as long as it came from 500 miles away or less, there was no fee.

darreng505

Established Member
Well I can't really speak for the 2015 yet because it's almost November and the dealers here still haven't gotten them yet. It's ridiculous. Who is going to want to buy a Mustang in the Winter? But when I was a car salesman for one of the local Ford dealers, we seemed to always have a few bases on the lot, and a lot of my customers who wanted bases just got them through a dealer trade. I would often spend my whole shift driving one of our vehicles all the way to ID, CO, or NV to trade it for a base GT they had, then drive that back to sell it. And as long as it came from 500 miles away or less, there was no fee.

Just checked my local dealer inventory. They have 7 GTs and only one is a base. I chatted with the sales person online and they said they typically don't stock a lot of base cars. Because people want the options.

So anyway. My point is that the other GTs are priced $38-43k which, as people have pointed out here, is a lot for just getting IRS if you already have a gt. I just don't see the incentive. Yet.

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
The 2015 comes with boss forged rods, keyless go, IRS, and a telescoping steering wheel! LOL

Branhammer

Established Member
Just checked my local dealer inventory. They have 7 GTs and only one is a base. I chatted with the sales person online and they said they typically don't stock a lot of base cars. Because people want the options.

So anyway. My point is that the other GTs are priced $38-43k which, as people have pointed out here, is a lot for just getting IRS if you already have a gt. I just don't see the incentive. Yet.

Regardless, I will be getting a base. It won't be hard to find even if they don't have many on the lot at the time. I agree that a lot of people want options. My argument was just that you don't have to have them, and a $38k 1LE package is for a base car too, options on that are going to put you over $40k easily. So my point was a Mustang is not really any more expensive than the previous model and it's cheaper than the competition. And you can get a base. If they don't have a lot in my area I can wait for a dealer trade or special order. No big deal. If I'm dropping $30k I can wait a bit for the car I want.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member

Yeah but who cares what the list price is. No one pays list for either the Camaro or the Mustang. I paid 4.5k under list for my base 2015 gt with recaros.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
How did you get that deal? Just good haggling skills or do you know someone?

I said this: "I can get A-Plan anywhere, if you can do better on the price I have a $1k cash deposit and I can do the deal right now." I also knew the invoice pricing and holdback so I had an idea of how much they were going to give up. I ordered on 29/09/14 and already have a VIN on 16/10/14.

2015gt_zpsf5e8788d.jpg

Last edited:

SirJAG

Established Member
ok thats the number i was looking for...my local dealer wants $600 over invoice or split the holdback with me in december.....

darreng505

Established Member
Yeah but who cares what the list price is. No one pays list for either the Camaro or the Mustang. I paid 4.5k under list for my base 2015 gt with recaros.

The whole argument relates to perceived value of a GTPP vs. 1LE camaro. Pricing between competitive cars is very important, especially if you're losing the track battles already. So let's stay on topic! Lol

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
The whole argument relates to perceived value of a GTPP vs. 1LE camaro. Pricing between competitive cars is very important, especially if you're losing the track battles already. So let's stay on topic! Lol

Meh. It is just a magazine test. All I really care is how either of the two reacts to $5k in mods. How many bone stock cars do you see at a HPDE?

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
I know this was a topic of interest here, so I wanted to leave some information on the subject. I just watched the M4 head to head. With the carbon ceramic brakes option and an $85,000 sticker, the M4 outran the Mustang GT PP on the road course by a whopping .59 of a second on the same track and with Randy Pobst driving. Add into that the frail nature of a track-worked BMW, and I'll take the Mustang.

Users who are viewing this thread